Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2018, 10:16 AM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
Take a look at the ISO invariance section of the review. His image results are kind of curious, and also his comments about noise, perhaps related to the accelerator chip? I think his way of comparing the different ISOs with a composite image is interesting, and I would like to see a similar type of test for the K-1 to compare.
I've done something like that before, it is a lot of work if you aren't getting paid for it.

06-12-2018, 11:48 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Still, it sucks at people swerving with their bikes, so it can't be any good. All joking aside, this was a really good hands-on review in the field and it showed the strenghts, and some weaknesses, very nicely.
06-12-2018, 01:24 PM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by HoutHans Quote
Still, it sucks at people swerving with their bikes, so it can't be any good. All joking aside, this was a really good hands-on review in the field and it showed the strenghts, and some weaknesses, very nicely.
The one fault is, and I've asked this to all the naysayers on the forum without an answer. OK< for the things it's worst at, the imagined star eater thing, now convincingly poo pooed, , what's better? And for the things it's good at, what else is even comparable?
06-12-2018, 01:34 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
This seems to indicate that ISO=200 works better than ISO=100.
That seemed weird. Which was part of the reason why I would like to see a K-1 comparison, maybe to see if there is any accelerator effect on that, as well as the other ISOs.

06-12-2018, 01:56 PM - 3 Likes   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It seems to be a good review. I guess the one thing about the mirrorless revolution is that now everyone thinks SLRs are super-heavy. I do wonder about the magenta tinge on the iso 100 pushed shot as my guess would be that it is some kind of a RAW developer issue rather than a sensor issue. Does Lightroom even support the K-1 II yet?

The biggest thing to me in the review is a definitive statement that while the accelerator does smooth things, it does not eat stars. This was a claim that was made both on DP Review and also here and this seems like the sort of review that would catch that if it did so. A lot different than saying that you imagine it could eat stars or some such comment or (as Rishi said) that this is a star-eater on steroids.
06-12-2018, 02:21 PM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
That seemed weird. Which was part of the reason why I would like to see a K-1 comparison, maybe to see if there is any accelerator effect on that, as well as the other ISOs.
But the claims so far have been that the 'accelerator' is activated only over ISO=600, so it should have no influence whatsoever at ISO=100.
06-12-2018, 03:38 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
It seems to be a good review. I guess the one thing about the mirrorless revolution is that now everyone thinks SLRs are super-heavy. I do wonder about the magenta tinge on the iso 100 pushed shot as my guess would be that it is some kind of a RAW developer issue rather than a sensor issue. Does Lightroom even support the K-1 II yet?
Not yet if you save them as .PEF. But you can save them as .DNG and those import into Lighroom or Photoshop just fine.

06-12-2018, 04:31 PM   #23

The Evil Troll is Back ...

To those who lambasted me for expressing my thoughts about the K-1 M2, Ian Norman sums it up much better than I in:

Pentax K-1 Mark II Astrophotography Review – Lonely Speck

When you say stupid or hurtful things, those words do not fly off into the ether, to disappear into the cloud or whatever. Those words are read by another human being, with thoughts and feelings just like yours.

Perhaps it might be better to think twice, and type once ...
06-12-2018, 05:12 PM   #24
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SirTomster Quote
Not yet if you save them as .PEF. But you can save them as .DNG and those import into Lighroom or Photoshop just fine.
If that is the case, I assume that LR applies some generic profile. If there isn't yet an optimised readout, how do people make an accurate comparison to the K-1?

I don't know about Adobe, but at Phase One they actually take dozends of photos and analyse the raw data to get the best possible results.
06-12-2018, 05:39 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That review gives me a lot of confidence in the camera (mk2)...which I am yet to take delivery of...(patiently waiting...not!).
The things the reviewers do not like are of little consequence/importance to me. Video? I just do not use it and have no plans to. "Fast" AF ? honestly this has been done to death and is at the margin. Buffer? 4.4fps is ample for my Landscapes, they don't move that quickly.

Again I find the comments about the size a little puzzling, the 10 gram difference between N D850 & Mk2 is nothing, in fact I will defy anyone to actually pick the weight of 10 grams on the their person, they may get 100gms, but again these things are at the margin. Plus, I like things to feel solid in my hands, I have used a Sony A7 something (a friends who has problems learning it) and find it it too small and I feel as though I am always about to drop it....personal preference at the end of the day.

What is exciting about the review is the outcomes, that really does give me confidence.
06-12-2018, 08:59 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rcolman Quote
To those who lambasted me for expressing my thoughts about the K-1 M2, Ian Norman sums it up much better than I in:

Pentax K-1 Mark II Astrophotography Review – Lonely Speck
It is great that you agree with Mr. Norman's endorsement of the K-1ii: "Pentax K-1 Mark II is a great camera. All things considered, it’s excellent for astrophotography"
06-12-2018, 09:07 PM   #27
Veteran Member

It is great that you agree with Mr. Norman's endorsement of the K-1ii: "Pentax K-1 Mark II is a great camera. All things considered, it’s excellent for astrophotography"
It's to bad people don't think twice before they type once. :^)
06-13-2018, 12:16 AM   #28
Pentaxian

But the claims so far have been that the 'accelerator' is activated only over ISO=600, so it should have no influence whatsoever at ISO=100.
Right, that is what I thought as well, which is why I wanted to see a K-1 comparison to rule that out. Maybe the K-1 does the same for ISO 100 in a similar test (which he didn't actually give the specifics on).

I think the K-1 is pretty heavy, and I'm only comparing it to other Pentax DSLRs. It seems to give me wrist pain after using it a lot, which didn't happen with the K-3. I mean, I've never been impressed/interested in the Nikon body sizes & weights, and the K-1 is pretty much up there with those.
06-13-2018, 12:33 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Compare camera dimensions side by side
Compare camera dimensions side by side

The K-1 is only a little deeper.
06-13-2018, 02:19 AM - 2 Likes   #30

Actually I've noticed the same annoying magenta tint when the K-1 II files are pushed several stops.

But then I modified their exif info with Exiftool in order to fool Adobe Camera Raw (same demosaicing engine as Lightroom) into believing that they are K-1 files, and the magenta tint disappeared.

So you guessed that right .