Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 35 Likes Search this Thread
06-13-2018, 02:23 AM - 1 Like   #31
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Matchete Quote
Actually I've noticed the same annoying magenta tint when the K-1 II files are pushed several stops.

But then I modified their exif info with Exiftool in order to fool Adobe Camera Raw (same demosaicing engine as Lightroom) into believing that they are K-1 files, and the magenta tint disappeared.

So you guessed that right .
Interesting. You should leave a comment with his review

06-13-2018, 02:39 AM   #32
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Matchete Quote
Actually I've noticed the same annoying magenta tint when the K-1 II files are pushed several stops.

But then I modified their exif info with Exiftool in order to fool Adobe Camera Raw (same demosaicing engine as Lightroom) into believing that they are K-1 files, and the magenta tint disappeared.

So you guessed that right .
Interesting indeed. Is that magenta tint also there when you push the K-1 ii files with DCU?
06-13-2018, 02:49 AM - 2 Likes   #33

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Interesting. You should leave a comment with his review
Just did .

QuoteOriginally posted by sbh Quote
Interesting indeed. Is that magenta tint also there when you push the K-1 ii files with DCU?
I only use DCU to convert PixelShift files into TIFF files before processing them with Photoshop, so I haven't tried to push regular RAW files with DCU. Actually I don't have a lot of faith in the shadow recovery engine of DCU .
06-13-2018, 02:56 AM - 1 Like   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just got a K-1 II last night and accidentally had it set to shoot PEF files, which of course Lightroom wouldn't open. I edited the EXIF to be the K-1 and they open just fine and I certainly don't see any weird tinting when pushing any iso.

06-13-2018, 07:01 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I enjoy reviews like this. I understand the need for all the lab work and pixel peeping etc. I used to have to do those sorts of things myself, but just shooting photographs and seeing how they turn out is what it is all about. I think it pretty fair. Mirrors my experience with the K1. The K1-II s just a darn good camera. Maybe even a little bit better than my K1.
06-16-2018, 01:40 PM - 1 Like   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For those interested in more info behind his iso invariance testing, see this: How to Find the Best ISO for Astrophotography: Dynamic Range and Noise – Lonely Speck

It's a great intro to low light shooting and how lack of light affects noise. And downstream noise, iso variance and invariance, etc. And BTW: note the Nikon 700d examples he uses; same magneta issue only at ISO 100. So yeah, perhaps an Lr issue when pushing the exposure.
06-16-2018, 05:28 PM - 2 Likes   #37
Veteran Member

So I saw Ian used the 28-105 kit lens to take some images in his article. Therefore I decided to test it out last night with my kit lens.

It is horrible. Why would you use this lens? /Sarcasm

Just some basic edits in Lightroom and Nik Collection in Photoshop.

Astrotracer on. 60 seconds 53mm ISO6400 f/5/6.

I also did some stacking images and a few pano's to remove the slight streaking at the edges. I would never have considered using the kit lens for astro. But that has changed.

06-16-2018, 05:58 PM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SirTomster Quote
So I saw Ian used the 28-105 kit lens to take some images in his article. Therefore I decided to test it out last night with my kit lens.

I also did some stacking images and a few pano's to remove the slight streaking at the edges. I would never have considered using the kit lens for astro. But that has changed.
At $500 it's a little more than most kit lenses.
06-16-2018, 06:39 PM - 1 Like   #39

I love seeing legit reviews of Pentax. They always come out with nothing but great things to say. Even unbias comparisons are rare but wonderful as well because Pentax almost always wins. The CameraVille youtube channel has some good videos displaying pentax capability.

06-16-2018, 06:58 PM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SirTomster Quote

"Kit lens" has an undeserved reputation. The "A" 50mm f/1.7 that was kitted with my Super Program in 1983 was very sharp. When I got my K-30, I tried that lens with it and got sharper images than I ever got with Kodachrome 25 - in other words, it was sharper than I had ever needed with that camera.
06-17-2018, 05:28 AM - 1 Like   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
"Kit lens" has an undeserved reputation. The "A" 50mm f/1.7 that was kitted with my Super Program in 1983 was very sharp. When I got my K-30, I tried that lens with it and got sharper images than I ever got with Kodachrome 25 - in other words, it was sharper than I had ever needed with that camera.
Well there's kit lenses and there's kit lenses...
When one costs more than 500€ like the D-FA 28-105mm, the name "kit lens" hardly applies...

I like my 50/1.7 (M) as well, but other cameras (not necessarily from Pentax) were sold with a 50/2 which could be "good enough" to "quite bad".

A film-era F 28-80mm (non-SMC) is an awful lens, and in this case the "kit" attribute is well-deserved...
06-17-2018, 10:19 AM   #42
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Well there's kit lenses and there's kit lenses...
When one costs more than 500€ like the D-FA 28-105mm, the name "kit lens" hardly applies...

I like my 50/1.7 (M) as well, but other cameras (not necessarily from Pentax) were sold with a 50/2 which could be "good enough" to "quite bad".

A film-era F 28-80mm (non-SMC) is an awful lens, and in this case the "kit" attribute is well-deserved...
I've seen the K-1 sold with both the 15-30 and the 24-70 as a kit. Does that make them "kit lenses"?
06-17-2018, 10:23 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I've seen the K-1 sold with both the 15-30 and the 24-70 as a kit. Does that make them "kit lenses"?
They definitely don't qualify
06-17-2018, 10:49 AM - 1 Like   #44
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
They definitely don't qualify
It would make Pentax kit lenses better than anything else out there, though
06-18-2018, 08:26 AM - 1 Like   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Hmm... no star eater detected. That's in contrast with DPR's "star eater on steroids" claim which was made without taking any astrophoto image.
It was a guess in the article or a comment by someone (I refuse to wade through that garbage to verify where.) Not an actual statement that it would be a star eater. Still a very ignorant comment, but hey, DPR is a haven for idiotic comments.