Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Lonely speck review of the K-1II for astrophotography

Thought I'd link it, if only for the nice photos
Pentax K-1 Mark II Astrophotography Review – Lonely Speck

06-12-2018, 06:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A very nice review, astro-centered perhaps, but that's their strong suit, so bonus points for talking about things they know well.
06-12-2018, 07:09 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I really hope Ricoh will add the ability to turn off the accelerator chip at some point. Or let me configure when it kicks in. If I had not already purchased the Mark II, this might have convinced me to save $300 and stick with the original.

I wish he had a Mark I in order to do the ISO Invariance test he did with that camera to compare. I expect the original K-1 will be somewhat different.

But glad to see Ian be able to check it out. I have not tried using the Kit lens for Astro, but now I am planning to do it.
06-12-2018, 07:16 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SirTomster Quote
I really hope Ricoh will add the ability to turn off the accelerator chip at some point. Or let me configure when it kicks in. If I had not already purchased the Mark II, this might have convinced me to save $300 and stick with the original.

*snip*
Fat chance, if it's hard-wired...
If Astro is not your main interest, then I think the accelerator will actually be beneficial.

06-12-2018, 07:51 AM - 3 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

Hmm... no star eater detected. That's in contrast with DPR's "star eater on steroids" claim which was made without taking any astrophoto image.
06-12-2018, 08:04 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A very good, and for the most part, well balanced review. I don't really get the complaining about the weight relative to other DSLRs. It's 10 grams different than the D850. Not possible to notice that in the real world. And it's not an issue at all on a tripod.

It would have been nice to see a few comparison shots to his Sony at similar settings.

Relative to the noise/detail issue, here's the key finding:
"While I don’t personally have the original K-1 with which to compare this K-1 Mark II, in DPReview’s full review of the K-1 Mark II, they showed that the original K-1 could resolve slightly more detail at ISOs above 400. It’s it a big difference? Not really. In practice, the difference is very small and I never felt disappointed with the K-1 Mark II’s capability to resolve detail at high ISOs.

Most importantly, the problem is not detrimental to star details and does not present the same problem as the Sony star-eater issue."

Sounds to me like he's basically saying that the differences are not really noticeable, and that the main issue is basically that you can't turn it off.

Still on the fence about upgrading my K-1. I'd like to see a comparison astro photo or night landscape at 6400 or 12800.

Last edited by SteveinSLC; 06-12-2018 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Added content
06-12-2018, 08:51 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveinSLC Quote
A very good, and for the most part, well balanced review. I don't really get the complaining about the weight relative to other DSLRs. It's 10 grams different than the D850. Not possible to notice that in the real world. And it's not an issue at all on a tripod.

It would have been nice to see a few comparison shots to his Sony at similar settings.

Relative to the noise/detail issue, here's the key finding:
"While I don’t personally have the original K-1 with which to compare this K-1 Mark II, in DPReview’s full review of the K-1 Mark II, they showed that the original K-1 could resolve slightly more detail at ISOs above 400. It’s it a big difference? Not really. In practice, the difference is very small and I never felt disappointed with the K-1 Mark II’s capability to resolve detail at high ISOs.

Most importantly, the problem is not detrimental to star details and does not present the same problem as the Sony star-eater issue."
Yes, Yes, Yes!!!

People here need to keep this article close at hand to refute the fake news spread by Pentax haters who keep talking about "lost details" and implying this is return of the Sony "star eater" issue.

06-12-2018, 08:56 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I found the review quite accurate. Rather amazing he got such good shots with Astrotracer and the kit lens at 105mm, BTW.

And I agree about the noise thing. Look at the images and try to see if you see them spoiled by lack of detail. In my experience it's really hard to find, and in the real world doesn't affect much, esp if you post process images and add NR anyway. Or just shoot at an ISO below the threshold.

And yeah, it's heavy. He noted that that's a Good Thing sometimes; it was just his personal pref for a lighter mirrorless. There are times I'm lugging it and wish it were lighter too...but I wouldn't trade that for durability and weather resistance.

And that site is a great resource. I find reviews by folks who really use the camera in the field much more interesting and informative than those like DPRs.
06-12-2018, 08:59 AM - 3 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well i played golf and tried basketball much heavier ball so I went back to golf. I will certainly never bowl. If you ever hold a golf ball up to the sky and then a basketball or bowling ball you will see how much of a star blocker they are. ;~
06-12-2018, 09:13 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

I think Pentax should put in a switch turning off the accelerator chips, when every other camera company puts in a switch to turn off their noise reduction algorithms. Why is this a Pentax issue? There is just no indication that Pentax with the accelerator chip is different than any other camera system. The K-1 might be tad better. But if it's not noticeable who cares?

Someone tell me.. what company has a switch to turn off high ISO noise reduction in RAW.
Follow up question... what company as a product that will give you the kinds of images you get with a K-3 mkII with mother astro tracer or pixel shift?

I'm not going with at response like Pentax providing a switch for the accelerator until these reviewers start recommending that other companies off pixel shift and astro-tracer.

And I'm definitely not listening to a wish list for the mkII form anyone who hasn't used the camera and has a clue what they are talking about. The differences are negligible, (accept for better noise reduction) , the discussion has been blown out of proportion. People need to relax and go about their business.

This whole thing is about DPR needing to make a great camera look bad, and a bunch of forum users thinking that making Pentaxs look bad will win them street cred.

The end result is, DPR is looking worse than ever and it took bunch fo forum users down with them.
06-12-2018, 09:17 AM   #11
Veteran Member

A very good, and for the most part, well balanced review. I don't really get the complaining about the weight relative to other DSLRs. It's 10 grams different than the D850. Not possible to notice that in the real world.
I think his point is comparing the K-1 Mark II to his normal setup of a A7S. 490g vs 925g would be noticeable.

If he was comparing the D850 to the K-1, then that would be a joke. As DPR proved. D850 (Lastly, the Nikon D850 is not a petite camera) vs the K-1 Mark II (Camera is large and intimidating)
06-12-2018, 09:23 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SirTomster Quote
... that would be a joke. As DPR proved.
Saying that DPR "proved" anything is the joke. This reviewer would like to have control over the 'accelerator', but his unbiased review didn't find detail loss, certainly not the "star eater" fake news that people keep trying to falsely drag into the discussion.
06-12-2018, 09:24 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Take a look at the ISO invariance section of the review. His image results are kind of curious, and also his comments about noise, perhaps related to the accelerator chip? I think his way of comparing the different ISOs with a composite image is interesting, and I would like to see a similar type of test for the K-1 to compare.

06-12-2018, 09:45 AM   #14
Pentaxian

I don't really get the complaining about the weight relative to other DSLRs.
+1
The same holds true for the size. I don't find the K-1 (II) to be a "very large camera... even compared to other similar DSLRs". It is actually smaller (less wide and less tall, albeit sometimes a tiny bit deeper) than other flagship DSLRs.

BTW, I like the weight of my K-1 as I feel it helps me to stabilise hand-held shots. The fact that lightweight (which often means flimsier) and compact (which often means fiddlier) are not always desirable attributes seems to be rarely acknowledged (in particular not by a particular review site particularly enamoured with small mirrorless cameras (that nevertheless need big lenses to perform in general)).

Overall, I found the review to be very well done and very balanced.
06-12-2018, 09:56 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
Take a look at the ISO invariance section of the review. His image results are kind of curious, and also his comments about noise, perhaps related to the accelerator chip? I think his way of comparing the different ISOs with a composite image is interesting, and I would like to see a similar type of test for the K-1 to compare.
This seems to indicate that ISO=200 works better than ISO=100.