Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 68 Likes Search this Thread
06-16-2018, 09:43 AM   #136
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
Whats next what to put on french fries/pomme frits/chips?
Ketchup when in USA, vinegar when in UK/Ireland, mustard when in France. I do all 3, not at the same time though.

06-16-2018, 09:57 AM - 2 Likes   #137
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Whats next what to put on french fries/pomme frits/chips?
Salt, but ideally I'd like a mixture of dried herbs with salt as a preserver.
We do it in the summer, lasts forever, and it's usually sage + rosemary, but it can include other herbs as well (thyme, marjoram, satureja...)
06-16-2018, 01:30 PM   #138
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Flavored mayo is popular here mostly on the pomme frite labeled.
Here is a list of sauces. pomme frites nyc - Google Search
Funny that last night i craved pop corn. Then i remembered this thread. I got taken in by it.
06-16-2018, 03:15 PM - 2 Likes   #139
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I just dropped into this thread after a self-enforced break, and I see we're now onto frites and mayo. Normally I'd ask politely that we get back on topic, but this is indeed a turn for the better

06-16-2018, 03:46 PM - 1 Like   #140
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Normally I'd ask politely that we get back on topic, but this is indeed a turn for the better
You're welcome

---------- Post added 17-06-18 at 08:45 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
THE best wines are in fact from South Australia.
That is a little hyperbolic, but we are certainly spoiled for choices. Between Barossa or McLaren Vale shiraz, Coonawarra cabernet, Clare Valley or Eden Valley rielsling, Adelaide Hills sauvignon blanc and chardonnay, and everything in between, there's a lot to love. We still haven't quite worked out pinot noir though; there are some very good local drops, but Victoria and Tasmania still have it all over us I'm afraid. The same applies to bubbly (except the black shiraz variety - we invented that glorious stuff!).

But the best from Bordeaux, Burgundy, Champagne and the Rhone Valley, or Piedmont, Venuto and Tuscany is hard to beat - they have been doing it for a much longer time of course. Then there's Alsace, and the Mosel and Rhine Valleys, not to mention Spain and Portugal. I'll even concede that there is some decent stuff coming out of California. A Mendoza malbec can create magic with a big steak. Just don't give me a South African pinotage or [flame shields up] a New Zealand savvy [/flame shields down].

So there's a big wide world out there. I for one am quite happy to dive in and swim through it all

But keep your caramel off my damn popcorn!
06-16-2018, 04:54 PM   #141
Pentaxian

I bet Australia wine is grown on north American rootstock. So arguably all wine is American. Because of blight grapes were going the way of the potato(south American) north American grapes are resistant so vines get grafted to their roots.
06-16-2018, 05:34 PM   #142
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
You're welcome

---------- Post added 17-06-18 at 08:45 AM ----------

That is a little hyperbolic, but we are certainly spoiled for choices. Between Barossa or McLaren Vale shiraz, Coonawarra cabernet, Clare Valley or Eden Valley rielsling, Adelaide Hills sauvignon blanc and chardonnay, and everything in between, there's a lot to love. We still haven't quite worked out pinot noir though; there are some very good local drops, but Victoria and Tasmania still have it all over us I'm afraid. The same applies to bubbly (except the black shiraz variety - we invented that glorious stuff!).

But the best from Bordeaux, Burgundy, Champagne and the Rhone Valley, or Piedmont, Venuto and Tuscany is hard to beat - they have been doing it for a much longer time of course. Then there's Alsace, and the Mosel and Rhine Valleys, not to mention Spain and Portugal. I'll even concede that there is some decent stuff coming out of California. A Mendoza malbec can create magic with a big steak. Just don't give me a South African pinotage or [flame shields up] a New Zealand savvy [/flame shields down].

So there's a big wide world out there. I for one am quite happy to dive in and swim through it all

But keep your caramel off my damn popcorn!
Happily keep all the caramel on this side the table.

Ahhh Pinot Noir. My wine. And you are absolutely correct when you say we do not do it well in SA, no argument here on that, but that is probably more climate driven than anything else. The Vics do it a little better and the Tasmanian's & New Zealanders quite rightly are very proud of their Pinots and the French of course also do it well..... but I crave Pinot Noir from Oregon & Washington State's Willamette Valley...they are superb, rarely seen here and I am looking forward to having a few when I get over there later this year.

---------- Post added 06-17-18 at 11:41 AM ----------

I bet Australia wine is grown on north American rootstock. So arguably all wine is American. Because of blight grapes were going the way of the potato(south American) north American grapes are resistant so vines get grafted to their roots.
The vine is not a native Australian plant, to the best of my knowledge, so it had to come from somewhere. We had a lot of Prussian / German immigration in our original settlement days, so I think they will lay claim to having introduced the vine to South Australia at least, which was largely settled by that group in the Barossa Valley, our premier wine district. ….apologies to Clare Valley, Coonawarra, Mc Laren Vales, Langhorne Creek and Adelaide Hills.

Last edited by Mallee Boy; 06-16-2018 at 05:47 PM. Reason: rogot Tassie
06-16-2018, 05:42 PM - 1 Like   #143
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
What an abomination... is "focus-free" an euphemism for "set to hyperfocal"?
No, it's truth in advertising. The camera delivers pictures that are totally free of any focus.
06-16-2018, 05:59 PM   #144
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I bet Australia wine is grown on north American rootstock. So arguably all wine is American.
Say what? The oldest vineyard in the Barossa Valley is thought to be 175 years old, planted in 1843 by the Silesian immigrants who still have a major cultural impact on the area. Many other South Australian vineyards comfortably pre-date the phylloxera epidemic, which devastated the industry in Europe (and other parts of Australia) in the late nineteenth century.

So we never needed your steenkin' American vines
06-16-2018, 06:18 PM   #145
Pentaxian

Yeah American rootstock is used ever since. The vines were grafted to these roots and that is what saved Europe and probably everywhere else.
06-16-2018, 06:24 PM   #146
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Say what? The oldest vineyard in the Barossa Valley is thought to be 175 years old, planted in 1843 by the Silesian immigrants who still have a major cultural impact on the area. Many other South Australian vineyards comfortably pre-date the phylloxera epidemic, which devastated the industry in Europe (and other parts of Australia) in the late nineteenth century.

So we never needed your steenkin' American vines
Well that should get the post tally rolling along nicely.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_wine#History

Last edited by Mallee Boy; 06-16-2018 at 06:31 PM. Reason: added Wiki link
01-16-2019, 08:47 AM   #147
Veteran Member

You're welcome [COLOR="Silver"]But the best from Bordeaux, Burgundy, Champagne and the Rhone Valley, or Piedmont, Venuto and Tuscany is hard to beat - they have been doing it for a much longer time of course. Then there's Alsace, and the Mosel and Rhine Valleys, not to mention Spain and Portugal. I'll even concede that there is some decent stuff coming out of California. A Mendoza malbec can create magic with a big steak. Just don't give me a South African pinotage or [flame shields up] a New Zealand savvy [/flame shields down].
Hello Sandy,
the Rhone Valley's wine is not a top class one. Do not forget south west french wines which are very good and very cheap but not very wellknown... At 6 euros the bottle you can get a very good "Maury" red wine for example. take care of "sulfites" added in most of wine bottles...
Best regards.

PS: about K-1 (II), the grip is very cheap (200US$) and lighter than D850's...
01-16-2019, 02:20 PM - 1 Like   #148
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by teiki arii Quote
the Rhone Valley's wine is not a top class one.
Have you had a top-flight chateauneuf du pape? Australian winemakers have made their own versions of Grenache/Sirah/Mouvedre wine for generations, but the original is still the benchmark.
01-16-2019, 02:30 PM - 1 Like   #149
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have you had a top-flight chateauneuf du pape? Australian winemakers have made their own versions of Grenache/Sirah/Mouvedre wine for generations, but the original is still the benchmark.
We could talk about their unique bottles, too, if we’d care to take this thread in yet another direction.
01-16-2019, 03:30 PM   #150
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by teiki arii Quote
Hello Sandy,
the Rhone Valley's wine is not a top class one.
Yeah, sorry, going to have to pile in and also disagree with this. And it's not just Chateau Neuf du Pape, there's some amazing Gigondas around - but hard to get down here. Not to mention one of the best reds I've ever had - an '89 Guigal La Turque.