Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2018, 11:54 PM - 1 Like   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fujica Quote
Not sure what the problem is, but I had bought both the K-1 and 28-105 used from different sources. I cannot get a really clear image. Even using a stationary tabletop subject, with the camera on a tripod and using various settings, when enlarged, no images are sharp. I have seen many people in these forums using the same combo with tack-sharp images. Did I get a bad lens? Can the camera have this kind of defect? Haven't had this problem with any of my previous equipment. Any suggestions?
I don't know anyone locally with a Pentax lens (especially a prime lens) that I could try to use to test to see if it is my lens. Anyone else hear of this problem before?
If it's decentred, simply return it and get either an exchange or a refund, Fujica.

Of course, do your microadjusting focus before anything else.

08-23-2018, 09:29 PM - 1 Like   #32

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
If it's decentred, simply return it and get either an exchange or a refund, Fujica.

Of course, do your microadjusting focus before anything else.
Thank you for the input..........I bought the camera through eBay from a private source, and they don't offer returns. I will try your suggestion.

---------- Post added 08-23-18 at 09:34 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
The increased resolution of the K-1 demands good technique from the photographer. Any degree of misfocus due to uncalibrated autofocus will show up easily. You did not mention if you used manual or autofocus. If you used autofocus, test again using liveview and manual focus (focus peaking may help) instead. If they are good using liveview, then you should calibrate your autofocus. Also, try using shutter speeds faster than 1/200 second just in case there is some shutter shock happening. Some users of this lens have reported shutter shock at mid speeds.
Thank you for your insights. I always use autofocus. (and liveview, as well as the viewfinder) I will try manual with liveview and see what results. I had already run some test shots with higher shutter speeds. I have been a working photographer for more than 50 years and have owned an enormous amount of professional equipment, so this problem has been somewhat vexing. Good to get suggestions from others who have more experience with this camera. Thanks.
08-23-2018, 09:51 PM - 1 Like   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you for the input..........I bought the camera through eBay from a private source, and they don't offer returns. I will try your suggestion
Invoke the eBay Money Back guarantee on the basis of it being faulty.

Include sample photos.

08-24-2018, 01:15 PM - 2 Likes   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tax Quote
I found Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 SP XR Di LD A09 to be a very good all around most useful starter lens. Especially for tourism and traveling. It is fast, F2.8 through out its 28-75 focal length, light and relatively cheap, if you buy a used one in mint condition. The only minus, it is not weather resistant, but it does not cost thousands of $$$ either.
I have the Pentax 28-105 WR, and it is indeed a great lens but your recommendation of the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 is also a great one. I had one paired with a Canon 5D for many years and it produced excellent results. Only ding was slightly soft corners wide open but that's expected.

09-02-2018, 12:30 AM   #35

Original Poster
Subjects in the same frame, even at f/14, have varying levels of focus. Is this a sensor problem or bad glass? K-1 and 28-105......both bought used, so either one could be the problem. Suggestions would be appreciated. Enlarged more, the flowers at the highest position are in focus, as are the flowers near bottom, second group in from left. Everything else is out of focus.
Attached Images

09-08-2018, 07:18 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Subjects in the same frame, even at f/14, have varying levels of focus. Is this a sensor problem or bad glass? K-1 and 28-105......both bought used, so either one could be the problem. Suggestions would be appreciated. Enlarged more, the flowers at the highest position are in focus, as are the flowers near bottom, second group in from left. Everything else is out of focus.
at f/14, you should pretty much have everything in focus... something is really wrong here if your aperture is what you say it is and it looks like that.
09-08-2018, 07:57 PM   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by amstel78 Quote
at f/14, you should pretty much have everything in focus... something is really wrong here if your aperture is what you say it is and it looks like that.
Not necessarily. If the shot was taken wide angle at near the minimum focus distance, the depth of field is still limited.

This is taken at f/14 with the DFA 28-105 @ 28mm. Focus is on the red flower at close to minimum focus distance. The background is still noticeably out of focus.

09-08-2018, 08:14 PM   #38
Pentaxian

I agree that photo looks overly soft. Lots of possibilities, including but not limited to bad equipment. How far were you from the flowers? What were your other camera settings?

If you were at 105mm and minimum focus distance (1.6 feet for the 28-105), depth of field would be a tiny 1" even at f/14.

A slow shutter speed could give the flowers time to sway and blur.

09-08-2018, 08:31 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Bit late for the OP as he has already bought the Pentax 28-105 but there is a very good article outlining some K1 lens options here for those with the same question:

Pentax Full Frame Lens Buyers Guide | The Don's Photo Weblog
09-08-2018, 08:38 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Not necessarily. If the shot was taken wide angle at near the minimum focus distance, the depth of field is still limited.
Good point which I did not consider. Noted and well taken.
09-09-2018, 11:36 PM   #41

Original Poster
Camera or lens problem (K-1/28-105)

I am beginning to believe that this is a problem with either the lens or the camera. I don't have a "real" camera store anywhere near my house or I would try to borrow the use of a Pentax lens to rule that out. I was approximately 5 to 6 feet away from the flowers. All the flowers fell into the same plane........only about a couple of inches deeper or closer. I was shooting at f/14, 1/2000th in normal exposure mode at 88 mm. There is nothing that would indicate problems because of movement (it was a still breeze out) or minimum focusing distance or lack of DOF. It has to be an equipment problem.

I have been a photographer for 50+ years and have owned many systems, including Nikon, Fujifilm, Pentax (medium format film and lots of lenses) and Canon. Never experienced a similar problem, even after shooting 200+ weddings, working for a professional sports team, working as a photojournalist, portraiture or any other scenario. Unfortunately, my printer picked now not to work, or I would simply print a resolution chart/focus chart and start by testing that way. I have included another image below from the camera where the subject is flat, although this is at f/4.5 and 54 mm, but it is in clear focus. Any ideas or insights would be appreciated. Thank you for the previous comments.......just received a notification today and just saw them.
Attached Images

Last edited by fujica; 09-09-2018 at 11:40 PM. Reason: to add attachment
09-10-2018, 08:17 PM   #42
Veteran Member

That is very frustrating having bought such nice gear.

I really don't have enough technical knowledge to make any helpful comments but the picture of the bike rider you posted seems fine in terms of focus so that would suggest that the lens is OK. If the lens was the problem it would affect all the photos.

Maybe a relatively low-cost option to see if the camera is the problem would be to buy a known sharp lens like the Pentax A 50 1.8 and see if you still have the same problem. That is always going to be a nice lens to have in your collection anyway.
09-11-2018, 07:17 PM   #43

Original Poster
Good point...........getting any crisp, sharp images should rule out the lens. Since I bought the camera a few months back on eBay, I think I'm out of luck there. It was used to begin with. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
02-02-2019, 10:39 PM   #44

Original Poster
Never could solve this so I had to change systems...........still believe that a lot of people are doing great work with the K-1
02-03-2019, 01:06 AM   #45
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sad to hear that. Buying any gear used always carries with it that risk of failure, even though you would think that the gear would be functioning well if the previous owner was using it regularly. All the best with your new system.