Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2018, 07:28 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hand Held Pixel shift software support

Does anyone know what Pentax DCLU or Lightroom do with handheld pixel shift raw files? So far I have only tested it with the in camera jpgs because of time constraints. Maybe someone else has looked into it. Thanks.

06-19-2018, 07:36 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Does anyone know what Pentax DCLU or Lightroom do with handheld pixel shift raw files? So far I have only tested it with the in camera jpgs because of time constraints. Maybe someone else has looked into it. Thanks.
Adobe Camera Raw cannot (currently), nor can PDCU as of version 5.8.1. Maybe in the future!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-19-2018, 07:38 PM   #3
Pentaxian

The DCLU program works with Pixel shift, as well as the program it's based off of Silkypix (Product | SILKYPIX). They both *should* currently work with the Handheld PS, but if not there should be an update coming soon that will support it.
06-19-2018, 11:21 PM   #4
Pentaxian

The original pixel shift tech (on the K-3II anyway) was very much tripod-only, required by the very small sensor motion between frames. Thereís no control in-camera over motion correction which is permanently on - but is actually switchable in DCU5. I tried hand-holding for pixel shift and it didnít appear to work in comparison with Ďnormalí exposures since there was probably too much movement between the frames.

What I havenít tried with the current DCU5 is turning off the motion correction and seeing the level of generated artefacts; I suspect that itís big enough that the program decides to only process the first frame of the four, which would explain why itís little different from a standard shot taken at the same time.

It hadnít occurred to me that the software supplied with the K-1II probably already has this feature since the camera does - has anyone tried it?

EDIT - just looked at the update for v5.8.1 which corresponds to the K-1II, and as Adam said, it states that itís not aligned with the RAW processing using image stabilisation, so it looks like weíll need to wait and see...

---------- Post added 06-20-18 at 12:15 AM ----------

Now hereís another thought - as Dynamic PS appears to more of a super-resolution mode than Ďtraditionalí 😂 pixel shift, has any K-1II owner out there done a comparison between DPS and the more established multi-shot upscale/align/average super-resolution process, to see what the differences are?

Last edited by microlight; 06-20-2018 at 12:20 AM.
06-20-2018, 02:40 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
That PDCU, as supplied with the camera itself, doesn't support handheld 'Image Stabilization' mode pixel shift RAW files, is a rather poor performance by Ricoh. The software released with the camera should be able to support all of it's features. If it doesn't, what will?
06-20-2018, 03:04 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm holding out hope that Raw Therapee developers will help out here. But it is probably harder to process than the non-hand held variety of pixel shift. My understanding is that Lightroom just reads the first image and edits that.
06-20-2018, 09:59 AM   #7
Pentaxian

@rawr: agreed.

I did a quick comparison of pixel shift/tripod, super-resolution handheld (multi-image/upscale/align/sharpen) and normal (one of the five used for the super-resolution) and while the PS is preferable for static subjects, super-resolution is not far behind. Interestingly, a propos of Rondec's comment, ACR successfully processed the pixel shift image, not just the first of the four - this was seen by the motion artefacts in the clouds in the photos. Unfortunately, there's no motion correction at the moment as there is in DCU5 (and RawTherapee).
04-03-2019, 09:31 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Am I correct in surmising that as of today (03 April 2019) there is still no software support for dynamic pixel shift for the K-1 mII? WTF? Is the only course of action then to process in-camera to TIFF?

04-04-2019, 02:29 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
Am I correct in surmising that as of today (03 April 2019) there is still no software support for dynamic pixel shift for the K-1 mII? WTF? Is the only course of action then to process in-camera to TIFF?
Unless the most recent version of DCU has added it, no software will edit it. I think if you are shooting dynamic pixel shift, you are best off just shooting in camera jpegs.
04-04-2019, 05:39 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is there any theoretical and real-world difference between shooting DPS versus stacking four rapid-fire RAW shots?
04-04-2019, 06:08 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is there any theoretical and real-world difference between shooting DPS versus stacking four rapid-fire RAW shots?
I guess that the DPS process consists of analyzing R, G and B frames and aligning them in a way to reproduce true color stacks, which is not the same as stacking RGB frames already after demosaicing. Probably sharper demosaicing parameter and stack alignment will do a similar job, but not the same job. If you shoot 4 raws and stack them later, you don't have to wait for the 20 sec. of camera processing that occur after a DPS exposure.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 04-04-2019 at 06:24 AM.
04-04-2019, 11:20 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for editing your post, biz. First round didn't make any sense to me, but this answer sounds better. And I've been fiddling with a couple of DPS files. I extracted all four files from the original raw and saved as TIF, then merged in LR as a photomerge pano, and in PS as a photomerge. I saw no appreciable difference between any of the merged stacks and any of the original extracted raw files. Luckily, I shoot RAW+, so I had the JPGs still, and this file was way more detailed.

So, I guess there's no real place in a RAW workflow at this time for shooting DPS. I ran into the same conclusion with in-camera HDR. However, the DPS jpg looked so much better than the RAW file (similarly processed in LR) that I'm beginning to wonder if I'm wasting my time with RAW? Gee, I go thru this psychological stuggle every 12 months or so.

Thanks, and further input always welcome!
04-04-2019, 11:52 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

However, the DPS jpg looked so much better than the RAW file (similarly processed in LR) that I'm beginning to wonder if I'm wasting my time with RAW?
RAW is useful to change the white balance, adjust exposure and shadows. If the exposure and scene contrast aren't too far off with DPS, it is possible to adjust shadows and highlight contrast in camera, export as TIFF 8bits and convert to JPEG on PC/Mac.
04-04-2019, 04:41 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for editing your post, biz. First round didn't make any sense to me, but this answer sounds better. And I've been fiddling with a couple of DPS files. I extracted all four files from the original raw and saved as TIF, then merged in LR as a photomerge pano, and in PS as a photomerge. I saw no appreciable difference between any of the merged stacks and any of the original extracted raw files. Luckily, I shoot RAW+, so I had the JPGs still, and this file was way more detailed.

So, I guess there's no real place in a RAW workflow at this time for shooting DPS. I ran into the same conclusion with in-camera HDR. However, the DPS jpg looked so much better than the RAW file (similarly processed in LR) that I'm beginning to wonder if I'm wasting my time with RAW? Gee, I go thru this psychological stuggle every 12 months or so.

Thanks, and further input always welcome!
You can convert it to a TIFF file from the RAW file in camera, but my understanding is that it is only an 8 bit TIFF so, not sure how much benefit it has over a jpeg.