Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2018, 04:08 PM - 1 Like   #121
Marketplace Reseller




Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,327
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
In terms of afs - I just filled a whole SD card full of shots in Boston, and in good light dfa 28-105 haven't missed a shot. It starts struggling in the evening, but it's still manageable. Overall a good experience, just had to keep my shutter speed at 1/250 or lower than 1/30 (shutter priority was very useful for that) due to my combo showing effects of the shitter shock (can clearly be seen in few shots that I forgot to set proper shutter speed, at 1/125 and lower shots aren't nearly as crisp as they are at 1/250).
Thanks for adding this, I rarely have ever missed a shot in AF-S used for situations where AF-C is not necessary, this really should be the experience of most everybody.

06-28-2018, 10:43 PM   #122
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
redpit's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Athens
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,060
Hopefully I will test afc these days and I will come back with statistics like Mike’s.
06-29-2018, 03:19 AM - 1 Like   #123
Pentaxian
Dan Rentea's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Bucharest
Posts: 1,012
To me personally, the most important things when af-c is involved are:
1. the light available (with af-c you need fast shutter speed and if the light is not good, a lot of aditional work has to be done to get good results); and by good light I'm not talking about plenty of light
2. the settings used which can be quite different depending on the subject
3. the experience of the photographer when comes to shooting action; this is probably the most important aspect.
4. the distance between the photographer and the subject

I just got back from a vacation in Cote d'Azur - France. One day I had fun shooting seagulls on Monaco's harbour (I was the only one among the tourists who wasn't shooting the beautiful view; I'm really not a fan of landscapes, architecture, etc.) and there was a guy who came to me and ask me what the hell I'm doing with a 35mm lens on a full frame camera shooting seagulls that were flying fast to us (they were taking advantage of the strong wind in the harbour). He was also using a Canon (70D I think) and he had with him 5 L lenses just to be sure he can cover everything. I don't take more than 2 lenses in vacation and I always try to get the light ones. Anyway, he offered to give me his 100-400mmL lens to take some (let me quote him) decent images of the seagulls. I politely refused his offer by saying that I'm just trying to have fun, not to get National Geographic images.

He started to shoot seagulls next to me but soon after he start complaining about the af-c (Ai servo) of his camera. Given the fact that my wife went shopping (you guys know that we have all the time we need when our wifes goes shopping) I gave him my camera (a 5D Mark IV) for 15-20 minutes to try it with his 100-400mmL lens. The results were the same as the ones he got with the 70D and he didn't understood why. I knew why. He chosed the wrong settings, the wrong aproach, the wrong angle to shoot those birds. Guess what? He told me that I have to send my camera to a service and check it because it seems that it has issues with the focus. I told him that when he will stop relying only on his camera and on his expensive L lenses he will start getting good images with any gear. And since he was sure that my camera is to blame for his poor results, I took some BIF images of the seagulls with the 35mm lens and then with my 70-200mm f4 lens just to avoid debating with him. I also used for a few shots his memory card so that he can study at home and pixel peep the images. He will also realise (aside the fact that my camera doesn't have focusing problem) that he can take good images of seagulls in flight with a 35mm lens mounted on a full frame camera.

What I'm trying to say is that:
1. I'm hoping that he will realise that blaming the camera or the lenses will not improve his skills or his images. This is valid for any photographer no matter what gear he uses.
2. For day by day use there isn't a camera these days that can't handle some ocassionaly sport, BIF.
3. Professional photographers will always use propper gear to get their work done and that's why you don't see them complaining on forums about having poor results because of the gear they use.
4. It's better to test before buying gear based on specs and charts and based on cancan reviews

To the OP: K1 and K1 II are not action cameras. The fact that these 2 cameras can track a dog running at you and get some decent results is just a bonus for a camera that is great at what it was designed for. My 5D Mark IV is not an action camera either. But it is great for what it was designed for: a workhorse camera. Yes, I have more chances at BIF than I may have with K1, but this "luxury" costs almost double the price of a K1 Mark II and despite of that it's still far away from 1Dx Mark II when comes to action. I know that if I want to stand a chance against a guy who uses a 1Dx Mark II or a D5, I have to work harder and I also know that there are times when I simply can't get a particular shot as good as they get with those action cameras. So, even if your findings regarding Pentax K1 Mark II af-c may be really good/valid ones (I don't know that because for example I never use 25 or 33 af points active in a situation like yours because grass tends to be a too much distraction for the af system), I'm certain that photographers interested mostly in action photography will not jump and buy K1 Mark II. Enjoy your camera because is a great one and keep posting your findings. I do learn from this kind of impressions a lot more than I'm learning from cancan articles written by DPReview and CO.

Last edited by Dan Rentea; 06-29-2018 at 06:17 AM.
06-29-2018, 12:02 PM - 2 Likes   #124
Marketplace Reseller




Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,327
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
To me personally, the most important things when af-c is involved are:
1. the light available (with af-c you need fast shutter speed and if the light is not good, a lot of aditional work has to be done to get good results); and by good light I'm not talking about plenty of light
2. the settings used which can be quite different depending on the subject
3. the experience of the photographer when comes to shooting action; this is probably the most important aspect.
4. the distance between the photographer and the subject
I agree!

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
I just got back from a vacation in Cote d'Azur - France. One day I had fun shooting seagulls on Monaco's harbour (I was the only one among the tourists who wasn't shooting the beautiful view; I'm really not a fan of landscapes, architecture, etc.) and there was a guy who came to me and ask me what the hell I'm doing with a 35mm lens on a full frame camera shooting seagulls that were flying fast to us (they were taking advantage of the strong wind in the harbour). He was also using a Canon (70D I think) and he had with him 5 L lenses just to be sure he can cover everything. I don't take more than 2 lenses in vacation and I always try to get the light ones. Anyway, he offered to give me his 100-400mmL lens to take some (let me quote him) decent images of the seagulls. I politely refused his offer by saying that I'm just trying to have fun, not to get National Geographic images.

He started to shoot seagulls next to me but soon after he start complaining about the af-c (Ai servo) of his camera. Given the fact that my wife went shopping (you guys know that we have all the time we need when our wifes goes shopping) I gave him my camera (a 5D Mark IV) for 15-20 minutes to try it with his 100-400mmL lens. The results were the same as the ones he got with the 70D and he didn't understood why. I knew why. He chosed the wrong settings, the wrong aproach, the wrong angle to shoot those birds. Guess what? He told me that I have to send my camera to a service and check it because it seems that it has issues with the focus. I told him that when he will stop relying only on his camera and on his expensive L lenses he will start getting good images with any gear. And since he was sure that my camera is to blame for his poor results, I took some BIF images of the seagulls with the 35mm lens and then with my 70-200mm f4 lens just to avoid debating with him. I also used for a few shots his memory card so that he can study at home and pixel peep the images. He will also realise (aside the fact that my camera doesn't have focusing problem) that he can take good images of seagulls in flight with a 35mm lens mounted on a full frame camera.
I suppose we've all come across some of these people, if you're not doing it the normal way then you must be doing it wrong and therefore you don't know what you're doing... then when it doesn't go their way its always the gears fault. I've taken pictures of birds with a 10mm fish-eye on APS-C, some of them were in flight too LOL

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
What I'm trying to say is that:
1. I'm hoping that he will realise that blaming the camera or the lenses will not improve his skills or his images. This is valid for any photographer no matter what gear he uses.
2. For day by day use there isn't a camera these days that can't handle some ocassionaly sport, BIF.
3. Professional photographers will always use propper gear to get their work done and that's why you don't see them complaining on forums about having poor results because of the gear they use.
4. It's better to test before buying gear based on specs and charts and based on cancan reviews
1. I sure hope so
2. I totally agree
3. Lets link in experienced photographers with Professional photographers
4. Seriously yes, however not always possible, its best however to know what you want out of the gear and how to get that before sinking money into it.

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
To the OP: K1 and K1 II are not action cameras.
I know this, but its never stopped me

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
The fact that these 2 cameras can track a dog running at you and get some decent results is just a bonus for a camera that is great at what it was designed for.
A bonus perhaps, however I see so many people on the forums totally buy into Camera X can't do this or that and never try it for themselves to see what is possible

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
My 5D Mark IV is not an action camera either. But it is great for what it was designed for: a workhorse camera. Yes, I have more chances at BIF than I may have with K1, but this "luxury" costs almost double the price of a K1 Mark II and despite of that it's still far away from 1Dx Mark II when comes to action. I know that if I want to stand a chance against a guy who uses a 1Dx Mark II or a D5, I have to work harder and I also know that there are times when I simply can't get a particular shot as good as they get with those action cameras.
This statement says it all, using a Pentax camera for action requires work and effort, and within its limitations it can be effectively used in this manor. I'd change the word good to easily though.

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
So, even if your findings regarding Pentax K1 Mark II af-c may be really good/valid ones (I don't know that because for example I never use 25 or 33 af points active in a situation like yours because grass tends to be a too much distraction for the af system), I'm certain that photographers interested mostly in action photography will not jump and buy K1 Mark II.
Alright so the center point is active for the initial lock but the camera will follow with the other points, its not like they're all individually active. This post was never intended to suggest those who are serious about action photography should buy a K-1II but to suggest that those who already have it or another Pentax can know what is possible with it.

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
Enjoy your camera because is a great one and keep posting your findings. I do learn from this kind of impressions a lot more than I'm learning from cancan articles written by DPReview and CO.
Yes user experience with evidence is more helpful than benchmark tests, still benchmark tests have their place too.

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
aps-c, ball, camera, comparison, dog, dslr, focus, frame, full frame, full-frame, k-1, k1, lenses, mode, pentax, pentax k-1, people, photos, ratings, report, subject, test, time, user
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
People Extreme cuteness alert Ivor K Ecks Post Your Photos! 8 04-14-2010 07:56 PM
"But daddy..." (cuteness warning) heliphoto Post Your Photos! 12 02-23-2009 02:17 PM
Family get togethers (Beware of cuteness) C&C Welcome Ecosse Post Your Photos! 10 01-06-2009 11:24 PM
cuteness factor NaClH2O Post Your Photos! 7 11-21-2007 02:45 PM
Ugly ducks with the ugly duckling lens rfortson Post Your Photos! 3 03-01-2007 03:43 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:50 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top