Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 81 Likes Search this Thread
06-24-2018, 11:59 AM   #61
tax

Photos: Albums
I wonder, does it matter much for K-1 / K-1 II AF system whether you are using SDM, STM or USM lenses?
At this point I have only ol' good screw drive focusing lenses, so I cannot take a full advantage of K-1's SAFOX 12 system.
What would be the best combination of lens and K-1/K-1 II in terms of AF speed and responsiveness?

06-24-2018, 12:30 PM   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I can see changing the title to af-c on the basis that some will/might read to much into it. Clarity is a good thing. I often use pronouns that could be misinterpreted or ambiguous for (it)

Now am i right that afs and afc focusing to first point of confirmation are identical? I didn't see how that would change unless processing power is diverted to predictive computations.

As to the tests of the thread finding points of failure is great. I didn't object to the failing in the dpreview, waterfails on pixelshift. But i objected strongly to most everything about that article. The name implies it is useless first off. Second the article was like testing af on a 100mph fastball. A useful article about failure would have been showing what it can do before it fails. Enginers don't find a material tensile strength will fail, thats a given, anyone can design a test for failure. They find the tensile strength so they know when and how to use the material. Waterfails did nothing constructive. I think these tests contributed something constructive.
06-24-2018, 12:36 PM   #63
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MightyMike Quote
Can I actually edit and change the title?
The OP can, though usually it is best to avoid titles that are misleading or that might troll. I did not fee that was about this thread except that the title did read a little like it was baiting for a reaction. The revised version, BTW, might be taken as a person challenge.

Steve
06-24-2018, 12:45 PM   #64
Marketplace Reseller

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tax Quote
I wonder, does it matter much for K-1 / K-1 II AF system whether you are using SDM, STM or USM lenses?
At this point I have only ol' good screw drive focusing lenses, so I cannot take a full advantage of K-1's SAFOX 12 system.
What would be the best combination of lens and K-1/K-1 II in terms of AF speed and responsiveness?
The slower SDM and HSM (some are fast mind you) have a much better ability to follow a subjects movements so long as the subject isn't super speeding in your direction, the screw drive lenses for the most part but certainly not all are quick to move from point A to point B but don't handle small changes very well... in both cases pick your poison. both will (should) benefit from any AF improvements!

06-24-2018, 12:52 PM   #65
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The OP can, though usually it is best to avoid titles that are misleading or that might troll. I did not fee that was about this thread except that the title did read a little like it was baiting for a reaction. The revised version, BTW, might be taken as a person challenge.
I've edited the title and post intro. Hopefully it's clearer now
06-24-2018, 12:53 PM   #66
Marketplace Reseller

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
I can see changing the title to af-c on the basis that some will/might read to much into it. Clarity is a good thing. I often use pronouns that could be misinterpreted or ambiguous for (it)

Now am i right that afs and afc focusing to first point of confirmation are identical? I didn't see how that would change unless processing power is diverted to predictive computations.

As to the tests of the thread finding points of failure is great. I didn't object to the failing in the dpreview, waterfails on pixelshift. But i objected strongly to most everything about that article. The name implies it is useless first off. Second the article was like testing af on a 100mph fastball. A useful article about failure would have been showing what it can do before it fails. Enginers don't find a material tensile strength will fail, thats a given, anyone can design a test for failure. They find the tensile strength so they know when and how to use the material. Waterfails did nothing constructive. I think these tests contributed something constructive.
One would expect AF-S and AF-C to acquire focus at the same speed however AF-S stops and seems sure of itself where AF-C tries to predict and and doesn't always get it right when the shutter fires. To know for certain I suppose one should devise a test just checking the first image of a burst to see how often each setting gets it accurate on the first shot. That said if the subject isn't moving AF-C may (lets say drift) in the expectation of movement and therefore fail to stay on focus for every shot in a burst much like SR may drift while on a tripod as its expecting movement. Also in AF-S one can either just hold the shutter full down getting the shot as soon as the AF locks on whereas the style of shooting for AF-C more often then not is to track a bit before pressing the shutter full down which can in lead to a miss tracking by the time of the first shot. Sorry I don't have a concise answer for you.
06-24-2018, 12:54 PM   #67
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
OK. back on track.

06-24-2018, 12:55 PM   #68
Marketplace Reseller

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve
Yes the revised version naming names may not have been the nicest thing to do, I could have just said someone complained and probably should have

---------- Post added 06-24-18 at 03:55 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Much appreciated BigMackCam
06-24-2018, 04:30 PM   #69
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MightyMike Quote
I know its supposed to be much faster, however don't discount the speed of the Sigma 100-300mm F4.0 EX DG, the only thing going against it is its not HSM so it doesn't keep up with subtle movements as well... that said there is also the DOF advantage of the 55-300 PLM...
Maybe the answer to my question is buried in a later post, but I don't understand what you mean by "DOF advantage of the 55-300 PLM"
06-24-2018, 04:33 PM   #70
Pentaxian

Mike - thank you for starting this thread .... it has certainly driven up the thread count and made @Adam's giving a K-1 away more likely.
06-24-2018, 04:39 PM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Mike - thank you for starting this thread .... it has certainly driven up the thread count and made @Adam's giving a K-1 away more likely.

I second this sentiment!
06-24-2018, 04:47 PM - 1 Like   #72
Veteran Member

There was a three day bike ride for charity that went past the house last weekend and I completely forgot about my plans to go out and shoot some riders and the people doing the riding. I guess it would not matter to this thread since I have a KP, not a K-1, or at least not yet!
"Victory is mine" ~Stewie Griffin.
06-24-2018, 05:05 PM   #73
Marketplace Reseller

Original Poster
Maybe the answer to my question is buried in a later post, but I don't understand what you mean by "DOF advantage of the 55-300 PLM"
The Sigma 100-300mm F4.0 is an F4.0 lens and unless shot stopped down which isn't really necessary for best image quality you can happily shoot it at F4.0

The 55-300 PLM is an F4.5-6.3 lens, this is 1.3 stops slower at 300mm and therefore has 1.3 stops more DOF (thus more forgiving if the DOF doesn't fall precisely where you wanted the center of focus to be)

Yeah I didn't use the 100-300 at 300 the whole time, but it is a faster aperture lens at all focal lengths by comparison and much bigger because of that.

So the shallower the DOF the more precise the AF has to be and the easier it is to spot focus errors.

---------- Post added 06-24-18 at 08:06 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by krazykat Quote
I second this sentiment!
I hope someone gets one too!

---------- Post added 06-24-18 at 08:08 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
There was a three day bike ride for charity that went past the house last weekend and I completely forgot about my plans to go out and shoot some riders and the people doing the riding. I guess it would not matter to this thread since I have a KP, not a K-1, or at least not yet!
"Victory is mine" ~Stewie Griffin.
AF tracking is AF tracking regardless of the camera, either it does it well or not as well as could be.
06-24-2018, 05:24 PM - 1 Like   #74
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Side note. We have the nude bike ride here every year. Never shot it. Now i might for science. How many shots will i get with the bounce just right?
06-24-2018, 05:29 PM   #75
Marketplace Reseller

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
Side note. We have the nude bike ride here every year. Never shot it. Now i might for science. How many shots will i get with the bounce just right?
I doubt many will complain about that scientific test! Note to DPR, hire some models for your bike AF tests LOL