Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2018, 03:51 PM   #1

K1 MK II Live View Help

Not sure If I've changed something or it's the way it works, because I haven't had it long. In studio when I switch to manual and turn on live view, it automatically stops down. At that point it's way to dark to use, even with the modeling lights on. Is there a way to keep it from stopping down???? I really would like to use the magnification ability of live view to drill down focus.

06-25-2018, 03:54 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Were you using a manual or an AF lens? What were the settings being used? Live View should be brighter than the OVF.
06-25-2018, 04:21 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by felixkh Quote
Were you using a manual or an AF lens? What were the settings being used? Live View should be brighter than the OVF.
All AF set to manual. Tried it with a DA 50 and the new HD Pentax-D FA L 28-105mm F3.5/5.6 ED Lens same result on both. Standard studio settings for me are f/8, 1/125, ISO 100.
06-25-2018, 04:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Smoke665 Quote
Not sure If I've changed something or it's the way it works, because I haven't had it long. In studio when I switch to manual and turn on live view, it automatically stops down.
That's not how it normally works. In LiveView, adjust your shutter speed and see what happens. Also make sure you are in LiveView (the LV button on the back), not Movie mode.

06-25-2018, 04:42 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
That's not how it normally works. In LiveView, adjust your shutter speed and see what happens. Also make sure you are in LiveView (the LV button on the back), not Movie mode.
Yup in LV. When you change the shutter slower and get the meter to less than 5 stops underexposed the screen is usable, If it goes greater than 5 stops under is useless.
06-25-2018, 08:52 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Just to get a view of what settings may be in action here ... can you shoot an image while in LiveView that displays the problem, save the image to disk, then extract the image EXIF via EXIFTOOL, and either post the text of the EXIF here, or summarize the settings revealed in the EXIF data?

Iin Windows, you can to do so by unzipping EXIFTOOL somewhere on your desktop, then drag and drop the target image onto the EXIFTOOL program on your desktop, which then gets EXIFTOOL to read the image, and pops up a command line screen with the contents of the EXIF. To save the results as a text file, if desired, on the top left of that EXIF data screen, click the EXIFTOOL logo, then go Edit > Select All > Copy, then paste the results into Notepad and save it as a text file.
06-25-2018, 10:54 PM   #7
Pentaxian

And exposure compensation is zero?

06-25-2018, 11:06 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
That's a good point. Possibly the EV settings from a previous shoot were memorised by the camera. I believe that is the default behaviour.

So another good option may be to reset all custom functions to their defaults [Setup menu 4> Reset].
06-26-2018, 03:23 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Well, if manual mode is used in live view it emulates the settings by default and modeling lights are not bright enough. Not sure if there was parameter to set it to maximum brightness instead of exposure simulation. I can check later when I get back from work. Other brands work exactly same way, Nikon, Sony, Fuji...

-Nikon has "OK" button which sets exposure simulation on/off in live view
-Sony has "Setting effect on/off"
-Don't remember how it worked in Fuji cameras but it was there
06-26-2018, 04:40 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Just to get a view of what settings may be in action here ... can you shoot an image while in LiveView that displays the problem, save the image to disk, then extract the image EXIF via EXIFTOOL, and either post the text of the EXIF here, or summarize the settings revealed in the EXIF data?

Iin Windows, you can to do so by unzipping EXIFTOOL somewhere on your desktop, then drag and drop the target image onto the EXIFTOOL program on your desktop, which then gets EXIFTOOL to read the image, and pops up a command line screen with the contents of the EXIF. To save the results as a text file, if desired, on the top left of that EXIF data screen, click the EXIFTOOL logo, then go Edit > Select All > Copy, then paste the results into Notepad and save it as a text file.
Not sure what you' re intent is here. With the camera set to manual. If I snap a shot, with live view, and the settings mentioned above, the strobes fire and the resultant image is perfectly exposed. The problem with LV is only during the preshot stage. So any image EXIF is going to reveal the settings I entered. If I take a shot of the back of the camera with another camera then the EXIF will be for that image.

---------- Post added 06-26-18 at 04:41 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
Yes. In studio I don't use EV

---------- Post added 06-26-18 at 04:52 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
Well, if manual mode is used in live view it emulates the settings by default and modeling lights are not bright enough. Not sure if there was parameter to set it to maximum brightness instead of exposure simulation. I can check later when I get back from work. Other brands work exactly same way, Nikon, Sony, Fuji...

-Nikon has "OK" button which sets exposure simulation on/off in live view
-Sony has "Setting effect on/off"
-Don't remember how it worked in Fuji cameras but it was there
In researching I've come across several articles on other brands doing this but nothing on Pentax. I did read something, and don't remember if it was Pentax or another brand, that the LV screen will go dark if your exposure meter is greater than 5 stops under exposed. In thinking about it, this is the first time I've used it in studio, so I can't say if it ever worked in a low light situation. The screen will light up normally under the following scenarios:

1. If I set the camera to any of the program modes
2. If while in manual, I push the green button, but that takes me to program mode and changes all the settings.
3. If I half push the shutter the screen will light up as long as the shutter is half pressed.
06-26-2018, 05:02 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Smoke665 Quote
Not sure what you' re intent is here.
Mainly just to see what your settings were. An easy and accurate way to gather basic camera data.
06-26-2018, 07:29 AM   #12

Original Poster
Finally got in touch with Pentax support. They don't have a clue as to how to make it not stop down. They've escalated to next level for call back. Hopefully I'll get an answer. For now I can work around by using AF and pushing button half way, or holding preview lever. I suspect it's going to be the amount of light the display is capable of showing/not showing.
06-26-2018, 07:34 AM   #13
Marketplace Reseller

If you're using the flash Pentax LV on the K-1 doesn't gain up to show you the scene it just shows you what the exposure would be if you didn't have a flash on. Could this be whats causing you grief?
06-26-2018, 08:02 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MightyMike Quote
If you're using the flash Pentax LV on the K-1 doesn't gain up to show you the scene it just shows you what the exposure would be if you didn't have a flash on. Could this be whats causing you grief?
This is what it sounds like is happening. I am not sure if there is a way to make the LCD function either or. There should be.
06-26-2018, 08:03 AM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MightyMike Quote

Yes, I'm using a wireless trigger in the hot shoe to trigger the studio strobes, and that's what it's doing. Now, is there a way around this??????? From what I've read several other brands allow you to turn this off