Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2018, 08:21 AM   #16
Marketplace Reseller

QuoteOriginally posted by Smoke665 Quote
Yes, I'm using a wireless trigger in the hot shoe to trigger the studio strobes, and that's what it's doing. Now, is there a way around this??????? From what I've read several other brands allow you to turn this off
Other brands do allow this to be turned off, sometimes automatically, however not Pentax, you could pull the on-off lever to the DOF preview position for momentary brightening of the scene but that isn't always ideal. The K-3 had gain up LV so this wasn't an issue so much, the K-1 series is wysiwyg LV with the exclusion of using the flash. I have the same problem when shooting product photos in my light box

Something I just thought of now could be to setup 2 user modes, one used for actually shooting the scene and the other for seeing the scene with perhaps a vastly higher ISO and then switch between them.

There is a way to increase the screens brightness for daylight but it really doesn't look good in low light IMO.

06-26-2018, 09:47 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K1ii Live view focusing in M mode - PentaxForums.com

I found this problem too. My workaround has been to shoot in 'X' Flash Sync mode so I can at least see what I'm doing.
06-26-2018, 02:09 PM   #18
Marketplace Reseller

QuoteOriginally posted by damianc Quote

I found this problem too. My workaround has been to shoot in 'X' Flash Sync mode so I can at least see what I'm doing.
Unfortunately I can't shoot at 1/10th sec to include ambient light in X-sync mode
06-27-2018, 04:40 AM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MightyMike Quote
Other brands do allow this to be turned off, sometimes automatically, however not Pentax, you could pull the on-off lever to the DOF preview position for momentary brightening of the scene but that isn't always ideal. The K-3 had gain up LV so this wasn't an issue so much, the K-1 series is wysiwyg LV with the exclusion of using the flash. I have the same problem when shooting product photos in my light box

Something I just thought of now could be to setup 2 user modes, one used for actually shooting the scene and the other for seeing the scene with perhaps a vastly higher ISO and then switch between them.

There is a way to increase the screens brightness for daylight but it really doesn't look good in low light IMO.
At least you've confirmed I'm not crazy. I really wish I'd known this before I shelled out the money because I'd likely have stayed with the K3ii or gone a different route. I had the same thought only assigning one to AV mode and the other manual, except if you have a live subject you stand a good chance of missed focus from movement.

---------- Post added 06-27-18 at 04:43 AM ----------

I confirmed this worked last night. Screen lights up bright as day. Only problem is it looks like the shutter is locked at 1/200.

---------- Post added 06-27-18 at 04:46 AM ----------

Perhaps the above posters can also answer this? If I use an external monitor, would it emulate the LCD or would it be brighter?

06-27-2018, 05:52 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Only problem is it looks like the shutter is locked at 1/200
Like MightyMike pointed out, it doesn't work when you're using a mix of natural light and flash, and the only workaround I've found is to switch modes to focus via live view or to hold down aperture preview which makes focusing fiddly. There is surely a case here for a firmware change.

Is this behaviour the same on the K1 ?
06-27-2018, 06:25 AM   #21

Original Poster
Like MightyMike pointed out, it doesn't work when you're using a mix of natural light and flash, and the only workaround I've found is to switch modes to focus via live view or to hold down aperture preview which makes focusing fiddly. There is surely a case here for a firmware change.

Is this behaviour the same on the K1 ?
I'm not sure as I skipped it for the K1 II. I do know the K3ii has some gain applied.

Did you see my earlier question. Does an external monitor work any better?
06-28-2018, 01:28 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Did you see my earlier question. Does an external monitor work any better?
Unfortunately something I don't have access to otherwise I would try