Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2018, 12:21 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
K-1 to K-1II update takes too long

I sent my K-1 body for to become updated over a month ago May 22nd, via my local camera dealer.
It must have been one of the first bodies arrived in the Pentax service in Sweden from Finland.

Two weeks ago my dealer asked the service, why the camera has not arrived back after being in a trip for a month. He got an answer, they have no had enough parts to update cameras.

Now there's the same announcement in their web page.

How long Pentax thinks it is ok to keep the camera gear in the service, without doing a thing for it. And not informing the customer, there is a severe delay. No need to expect any compensation. though the best time of the year to photograph has gone.

No good! I am using my K-3 meantime and I will survive. But...
I am not recommending anyone in Scandinavia to think about updating their K-1. The customer care and sevice sucks.

Last edited by Supakatti; 06-26-2018 at 01:30 AM.
06-26-2018, 12:50 AM   #2

In the US cameras that had been sent in and backlogged due to lack of parts were returned to the owner. The owners were informed that they would be notified when parts were available and to send their cameras again at that time to be upgraded in order to keep to the estimated 5-10 service time frame. Prepaid shipping provided.

Seems like the problem is with how the regional service center is handling the backlog or even perhaps be an isolated incident and not "How long Pentax (sic) thinks it is ok to keep the camera gear in service, without doing a thing for it".
06-26-2018, 12:51 AM   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Sorry to hear that

I've heard a number of good things previously about the Swedish service facility, so hopefully this isn't demonstrative of their customer care and service in general...
06-26-2018, 01:10 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

This may be different in the UK

QuoteOriginally posted by Supakatti Quote
I am not recommending anyone in Northern Europe to think about updating their K-1. The customer care and sevice sucks.
That statement needs to be qualified according to country.

I'm in the UK. I delivered my K-1 to Johnsons Photopia personally on a Tuesday. I got a phone call on the Friday to say it was ready. I picked the K-1ii up personally on the next Monday.

But ... I had discussed this with them over the photo beforehand, and when I handed it over, I asked them to try to make it available in time for a certain event where I intended to use it.

06-26-2018, 01:33 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
That statement needs to be qualified according to country.
That is true! I edited my post! This is perhaps more like a Scandinavian problem rather than a world wide one.
06-26-2018, 02:21 AM - 3 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The issue is that all the negative views on the K-1 II haven't been effective enough if people are still sending their cameras in. We need to be clear on how much of a step back the K-1 II is. Why would anyone actually upgrade their camera when it is actually a downgrade?

/sarc
06-26-2018, 02:53 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If there is a good response and Pentax seemed to have miscalculated on the popularity of the upgrade. THTey would definitely run out of parts. Yes, they are wrong for not informing the customers that there would be a delay. Overall, this is something only Pentax is offering.

06-26-2018, 03:29 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Supakatti...Kameraservice Kungsör (which services Pentax in Scandinavia) had an announcement early in May that demand for upgrade is far too high and they are lacking parts needed to do the upgrade. Maybe it was taken off for a while and someone in the chain did not notice it.
06-26-2018, 04:02 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
Supakatti...Kameraservice Kungsör (which services Pentax in Scandinavia) had an announcement early in May that demand for upgrade is far too high and they are lacking parts needed to do the upgrade. Maybe it was taken off for a while and someone in the chain did not notice it.
Ok! So, if the service has informed Pentax about the upcoming problem, it is not entirely their fault. Just, they should have informed the local dealers and customers better about the delay as well.

Btw. My local Pentax dealer, which I respect and support a lot, contacted Kungsör today and my K-1 is going to return now.
I am not aware though, if it's been updated nor if the sticky memory slot has been fixed and sensor cleaned...
06-26-2018, 04:40 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Curious, sticky memory slot? Mine is too a bit "sticky", the card does not always pop out smoothly when ejected from the slot 1.
06-26-2018, 05:49 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I wonder if Pentax will extend the upgrade period due to demand? While frustrating to have an unexpected wait, I think this must be good news for Pentax if the demand is way past anticipation and the number of boards initially produced. I can see them having cautiously made a small initial run not knowing what the reception would be. Now it sounds like it was way beyond what was hoped. Hopefully this will encourage continued/increased R&D into new and improved models.
06-26-2018, 06:03 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Curious, sticky memory slot? Mine is too a bit "sticky", the card does not always pop out smoothly when ejected from the slot 1.
I guess that's the result of us complaining how the previous models would eject the card to the farthest corner of the room, or (preferably, if outdoors) in the thickest and thorniest bush available.
06-26-2018, 07:00 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mine is the same. Slot one sticks. I find it works best ejecting from the corner of the card vs the center, then it hardly ever sticks.
06-26-2018, 08:10 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I guess that's the result of us complaining how the previous models would eject the card to the farthest corner of the room, or (preferably, if outdoors) in the thickest and thorniest bush available.
Fly little card. Fly!
06-26-2018, 12:58 PM   #15
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I kind-of like the springiness in my K-3 and K-3II I've had to play catch on a few occasions, but at least you know that card is coming out!