Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2018, 07:05 PM   #16
Marketplace Reseller

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eyrr Quote
Every Photo in that gallery is a winner. Pictures like these inspire me to keep practicing, (and remind me how many "not quites" it takes to get a keeper.) Bandit is adorable. What sort of dog is he?
Thanks, Hey I see you're local, I'm in Brampton. Bandit is a cross between a Cocker Spaniel and Bichon Frise, So Known as a Cockachon or a Bichon Spaniel. From my earlier report 44% perfection this means lots to choose from but also lots of similar shots and a few misses you wished you got.

06-26-2018, 07:09 PM   #17
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MightyMike Quote
I used F8.0 initially with the F 70-210mm F4-5.6, it had more DOF than I wanted, I shoot hockey at F2.0, does that count?
Yes, that counts! If you do that, then this test is largely superfluous. Technique has much to do with focusing. Good technique makes the camera's job easier - so does what I call a "comfortable DOF".
06-26-2018, 07:22 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thanks, Hey I see you're local, I'm in Brampton. Bandit is a cross between a Cocker Spaniel and Bichon Frise, So Known as a Cockachon or a Bichon Spaniel. From my earlier report 44% perfection this means lots to choose from but also lots of similar shots and a few misses you wished you got.
I'm in East York. Thanks for telling me; I'd never heard of a Cockachon.
06-26-2018, 07:38 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Really nice pics. I think the next to last (_K2P02173a.jpg) is my favorite, as you can really see the dynamic between the two, but they really are all great. I don't know the F 70-210 and have no feel for it's speed, but I have to think the 55-300 PLM will do even better on tracking, at which point I'd be very interested to see what your keeper rate would be. I've got a hunch it would be pretty darn good.

06-26-2018, 09:11 PM   #20
Marketplace Reseller

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Yes, that counts! If you do that, then this test is largely superfluous. Technique has much to do with focusing. Good technique makes the camera's job easier - so does what I call a "comfortable DOF".
To be honest there are occasions where I will stop down to make it easier on the camera (more forgiving in tracking)... It may surprise you I shoot hockey with a Samyang/Rokinon 135mm F2.0 and use CIF, on the APS-C bodies I could get 2 out of 3 in focus (maybe not always at the right time though, it seems this dropped to 1 in 3 in focus on the K-1 so that is a little less fun to do now.

---------- Post added 06-27-18 at 12:14 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by eyrr Quote
I'm in East York. Thanks for telling me; I'd never heard of a Cockachon.
If you look at my postings through my profile you'll see I'm one of the top resellers on the marketplace, that said I also get to 6 camera shows in the GTA each year and 2 more in London Ontario... If you haven't been to the shows I suggest you look into it, there is a small show on July 15th otherwise you have to wait till September 23rd. Aside from that, if you want to meet up just PM me.

---------- Post added 06-27-18 at 12:20 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Really nice pics. I think the next to last (_K2P02173a.jpg) is my favorite, as you can really see the dynamic between the two, but they really are all great. I don't know the F 70-210 and have no feel for it's speed, but I have to think the 55-300 PLM will do even better on tracking, at which point I'd be very interested to see what your keeper rate would be. I've got a hunch it would be pretty darn good.
I only started with the F70-210 (just the first 3 photos in the gallery), I readily switched to the Sigma 100-300mm F4.0 EX DG, the 55-300 PLM may be faster yet, may even be better at tracking, but the 100-300mm F4.0 is one of the hardest lenses to beat for tracking and speed IMO. If someday the 55-300 PLM comes around cheap I may just pick one up but I really don't have the budget for one right now. Yes that second last photo is spot on, a moment where you can tell there is eye contact... would you believe they had just met a few minutes before?
06-26-2018, 11:15 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some great pics of a happy dog!

K2P02181a and K2P02055a are my favourites!
06-27-2018, 03:04 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This one is my favourite

06-27-2018, 06:14 AM - 1 Like   #23
Marketplace Reseller

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by redpit Quote
Some great pics of a happy dog!

K2P02181a and K2P02055a are my favourites!
Thanks, Lets put them up for everyone to see

K2P02181a

K2P02055a

---------- Post added 06-27-18 at 09:15 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
This one is my favourite
Thanks Beachgardener

06-27-2018, 06:31 AM - 1 Like   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, these picture of the joyous, racing little dog brighten up the darkest day.
06-27-2018, 08:07 AM   #25
Marketplace Reseller

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Yes, these picture of the joyous, racing little dog brighten up the darkest day.
Thanks Mikesul, they should brighten up anyone's day regardless of what made it dark.
06-27-2018, 08:09 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I only started with the F70-210 (just the first 3 photos in the gallery), I readily switched to the Sigma 100-300mm F4.0 EX DG, the 55-300 PLM may be faster yet, may even be better at tracking, but the 100-300mm F4.0 is one of the hardest lenses to beat for tracking and speed IMO. If someday the 55-300 PLM comes around cheap I may just pick one up but I really don't have the budget for one right now. Yes that second last photo is spot on, a moment where you can tell there is eye contact... would you believe they had just met a few minutes before?
I'm not familiar with that Sigma lens, but I like the results! I'll have to put it on my LBA short list.

Yep, it was that eye contact and dynamic that jumped out at me. Even with all his hair you can tell. Looks like love at first sight! The other dogs will be talking. Has he said anything to you about the next trip? You know he'll be looking for his new pal!
06-27-2018, 08:26 AM   #27
Marketplace Reseller

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
I'm not familiar with that Sigma lens, but I like the results! I'll have to put it on my LBA short list.

Yep, it was that eye contact and dynamic that jumped out at me. Even with all his hair you can tell. Looks like love at first sight! The other dogs will be talking. Has he said anything to you about the next trip? You know he'll be looking for his new pal!
Just note that the Sigma 100-300mm F4.0 EX DG is not available new anymore, you'll have to look in the used market for one. Love at first sight may be a stretch, friends at first sight is certainly more likely, he did meet here on the next trip to the park but found another dog he'd rather play with.
06-27-2018, 08:32 AM   #28
Veteran Member

You're breaking my heart with this awesome images. The memories are flooding back of my little guy at the dog park. They have so much fun there.

Glad to see the good results with the 100-300/4. Was considering getting rid of mine, (pre-DG version), because I don't use it very often anymore as I have other lenses that cover that range. Mine took some great high school baseball images, many published in the local paper. I'll seriously reconsider.

Wonderful shots. Hard to choose a favorite to hang on the wall. Instead, these should go on a SD card for one of those frame viewing screens that rotate through the pictures.
06-27-2018, 12:26 PM   #29
Marketplace Reseller

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by volosong Quote
You're breaking my heart with this awesome images. The memories are flooding back of my little guy at the dog park. They have so much fun there.

Glad to see the good results with the 100-300/4. Was considering getting rid of mine, (pre-DG version), because I don't use it very often anymore as I have other lenses that cover that range. Mine took some great high school baseball images, many published in the local paper. I'll seriously reconsider.

Wonderful shots. Hard to choose a favorite to hang on the wall. Instead, these should go on a SD card for one of those frame viewing screens that rotate through the pictures.
Thanks Volosong, Your 100-300 and my 100-300 are the same optically except for the DG coating, I have the Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX Pre-DG and still use it effectively on digital. Maybe take it out for a spin again and see if you decide to keep it.