Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
07-01-2018, 05:51 PM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
B&H is an excellent supplier, don't believe a lot of the hype!
I've pretty much ordered all my new gear exclusively from B&H for the past 15 years. They're not always the cheapest but
they are always competitive. And I've never worried about getting a funky product from them.

07-01-2018, 06:00 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AI8877 Quote
Well, Bh photo return policy kinda sucks. You have 2 report any defect in the package within 2 days or else you’re on your own. If you received a decentered lens or whatever you’ll have to eat shipping costs. Plus with amazon I get the item shipped in 2-3 days. BH, I ordered a lens a week ago and still haven’t received it. So if that situation, happened with them they’ll probably say too bad buddy it’s been 2 weeks you should’ve reported it. Nothing against the quality of their products though as I never dealt with them because of the reviews I read about their returns. Only ordered that one lens because amazon had it for almost twice the price.
Have never had an issue with B&H. I live about 60 miles outside of NYC. If I order something from them before noon. I receive it the next day if it is in stock and they let me know if it is not. Never have I ever experienced what you have described in my dealings with B&H. Also I have had similar experiences with Adorama. They take an extra day with shipping.

Regarding Amazon I had the same thing happen. I chose to return the item.
07-01-2018, 06:15 PM   #18
Pentaxian

I think since Amazon gets so many returns and so readily accepts just about anything as a return there is more likely the probability you are getting something that is used but the sender returned the item saying it was still new. The guy processing a return probably just opens the box to make sure there is still a camera in there then throws it into a pile and moves onto the next one as there are probably a million to go through in short time. I'd be curious to know for sure from someone that has actually worked for Amazon though!
07-01-2018, 06:29 PM   #19

Original Poster
Yup 20% off is a lot of money in savings for a 38 clicks, missing piece of paper and a misplaced viewfinder cap . When it sunk in, I’m actually very satisfied.

07-02-2018, 03:36 AM   #20
Veteran Member

A shutter counter of 38 could simply indicate test shots at the factory... I wouldn't worry about it at all.
If that got you 20% off, I'd pop the champagne and never think about it again
07-02-2018, 03:59 AM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

Ya! Superb deal. And you still have full warranty.
07-02-2018, 06:58 AM - 1 Like   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
A shutter counter of 38 could simply indicate test shots at the factory... I wouldn't worry about it at all.
If that got you 20% off, I'd pop the champagne and never think about it again
Hahaha I will take your advise

07-02-2018, 07:24 AM   #23
Veteran Member

20% off for fhat? Wow.

I am keeping a better eye on my Amazon orders. I have always figured that some items I received were returns but nothing was every bad enough to call on.
07-02-2018, 08:41 AM - 1 Like   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by steve_k Quote
Have never had an issue with B&H. I live about 60 miles outside of NYC. If I order something from them before noon. I receive it the next day if it is in stock and they let me know if it is not. Never have I ever experienced what you have described in my dealings with B&H. Also I have had similar experiences with Adorama. They take an extra day with shipping.

Regarding Amazon I had the same thing happen. I chose to return the item.
from B&H

You live relatively close to B&H and Adorama. The OP is in Medicine Hat Alberta Canada which is not only much further but also international shipping and clearances etc. Something coming by air would likely go to Calgary (?) then to Medicine Hat from there. I'm in Toronto and it takes about a week for me to get something from B&H. (Not a complaint, just an observation. I've never been less than 100% satisfied with my dealings with B&H.) Amazon.ca is located in Canada and a camera purchased through them would have a 2 year Canadian warranty. International shipping / returns and warranty are always a bit more hassle, so I understand why somebody would prefer to deal with them.
07-02-2018, 09:22 AM   #25

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SirTomster Quote
20% off for fhat? Wow.

I am keeping a better eye on my Amazon orders. I have always figured that some items I received were returns but nothing was every bad enough to call on.
I'll probably be keeping an eye to. I ordered the FA 70 200 mm and it's one expensive lens. I'll check every centimeter to make sure it's not a returned item.
07-02-2018, 10:41 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AI8877 Quote
Well, Bh photo return policy kinda sucks. You have 2 report any defect in the package within 2 days or else you’re on your own. If you received a decentered lens or whatever you’ll have to eat shipping costs. Plus with amazon I get the item shipped in 2-3 days. BH, I ordered a lens a week ago and still haven’t received it. So if that situation, happened with them they’ll probably say too bad buddy it’s been 2 weeks you should’ve reported it. Nothing against the quality of their products though as I never dealt with them because of the reviews I read about their returns. Only ordered that one lens because amazon had it for almost twice the price.
I'm seeing a double standard here. B&H sucks because they can't deliver to a location that is 1,875 miles away across an international boarder in 2-3 days, and because they have the audacity to expect you to open and inspect a package in the same time frame? LOL

I suspect they're probably glad you didn't order from them.

BTW: How much do you think Amazon supports this site vs. how much B&H does?
07-02-2018, 11:57 AM   #27

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
I'm seeing a double standard here. B&H sucks because they can't deliver to a location that is 1,875 miles away across an international boarder in 2-3 days, and because they have the audacity to expect you to open and inspect a package in the same time frame? LOL

I suspect they're probably glad you didn't order from them.

BTW: How much do you think Amazon supports this site vs. how much B&H does?
With all due respect, I’m talking about what works best for me. If I didn’t have time to inspect an item in 2 days and then I discover It’s faulty in one way or the other, I’d like to know that I can return it without eating the shipping cost.
Ps: I mentioned I order a lens from them because it was 700$ cheaper than from amazon but given that even if it was faulty and I didn’t discover it past that time frame, I’d gladly eat the shipping cost as the other option was twice the price.
That’s my first dealing with them, reviews on the web aren’t the greatest.
07-02-2018, 04:42 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's unfortunate you've had an unsatisfactory experience with B&H. It does not match my experiences as a U.S. customer. I've ordered many many lenses from them over quite a few years and a handful of bodies in there too. I've had a handful of lenses that were decentered that I've swapped back with no questions asked and return shipping paid for. One of them was swapped back twice even, and the 3rd is fantastic. I've never experienced the two day requirement either. I believe it's 30 days, and maybe this is a U.S. customer thing. I could see something like if it's due to shipping damages and it's international, B&H might have a limit on how long before they make a claim against the shipper driving a response from you to tell them about damage in a similar time frame. And I write this as much to help U.S. customers who might not have much experience with B&H and are scratching their heads right now. It's not a hit at you in your situation.
07-02-2018, 07:13 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

B&H is a great resource at least for those of us here in the US. I am also pretty sure I see regular posts from people in Europe and Australia also using them, not to mention all the Canadians who have been pleased. It is too bad you had an unpleasant experience but we should always be slow to judge.