Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-03-2018, 12:30 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Third party flash for K1?

Can you suggest a good cheap third party flash for K1??

07-03-2018, 01:04 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just purchased Yongnuo YN585EX P-TTL TTL Wireless Flash Speedlite for Pentax K3II KS2 K50 K5 AU.
Suppose to be compatible with Pentax DSLRs, haven't tested it yet.
07-03-2018, 03:22 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

To replace a pop-up flash (=small, not very powerful), a Metz 26 AF-2. Decent performance, but the real appeal is compact size. It will fit easily into the flat outer pocket of almost any gadget bag. Uses two AAA (triple-A) batteries.
07-03-2018, 03:43 AM   #4
pid
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
To replace a pop-up flash (=small, not very powerful), a Metz 26 AF-2. Decent performance, but the real appeal is compact size. It will fit easily into the flat outer pocket of almost any gadget bag. Uses two AAA (triple-A) batteries.
This little Metz is not bad, but it has no manual mode! You can not use it with K or M lenses. It works with A, F, FA, DA, DFA and all lenses which can communicate with the body. If you can not control the aperture with the cam body the flash will not fire!

The Yongnuo is not bad, but if you need HSS you should go for Shanny or Cactus or the one of the big Metz flashes.

07-03-2018, 03:49 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pid Quote
This little Metz is not bad, but it has no manual mode! You can not use it with K or M lenses. It works with A, F, FA, DA, DFA and all lenses which can communicate with the body. If you can not control the aperture with the cam body the flash will not fire!

The Yongnuo is not bad, but if you need HSS you should go for Shanny or Cactus or the one of the big Metz flashes.
Agreed, no "M" mode is a limitation. It is, as noted, primarily a substitute for a pop-up, and the major advantage is tiny size and reliable pTTL performance.
07-03-2018, 05:24 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I'm quite a fan of my godox/flashpoint (same manufacture) flashes. However they're manual only for Pentax. no TTL or HSS.
07-03-2018, 05:26 AM   #7

I can recommend the Cactus RF60x along with at least one V6ii trigger, will give you sync well over the normal Pentax speed of 1/200 sec right up to 1/8000 sec

07-03-2018, 05:34 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For a more powerful, pTTL plus manual flash that's reasonably compact, look at a Metz M400. Both the Metz 26 AF (original and model "2*") and the Metz M400 have been very popular and highly rated by owners since they were introduced (see ratings on the B&H website).

*For a K1 you will want the "2" version. The original unit was designed for APS-C format and it will not function at all on a K1 body. I purchased the original version of the 26AF for my K3, and was confused and exasperated that it would not fire on my K1 when I got the latter. When I figured out what was wrong, I purchased a Metz 26 AF 2, and that works perfectly on the K1.
07-03-2018, 07:57 AM   #9
pid
Pentaxian

For a more powerful, pTTL plus manual flash that's reasonably compact, look at a Metz M400. Both the Metz 26 AF (original and model "2*") and the Metz M400 have been very popular and highly rated by owners since they were introduced (see ratings on the B&H website).

*For a K1 you will want the "2" version. The original unit was designed for APS-C format and it will not function at all on a K1 body. I purchased the original version of the 26AF for my K3, and was confused and exasperated that it would not fire on my K1 when I got the latter. When I figured out what was wrong, I purchased a Metz 26 AF 2, and that works perfectly on the K1.
Can not agree with you. I own the Metz 26AF "1" and it works with no problem with the K1. Maybe you just have to update the firmware of the flash to the latest version over the USB port of the flash. The only difference between the Original and the second version ist the first one was produced in China, the second version is produced in Germany.
07-03-2018, 08:03 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The Shanny SN600FGZ is excellent. PPTL HSS, powerful and not too expensive.
07-03-2018, 08:25 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pid Quote
Can not agree with you. I own the Metz 26AF "1" and it works with no problem with the K1. Maybe you just have to update the firmware of the flash to the latest version over the USB port of the flash. The only difference between the Original and the second version ist the first one was produced in China, the second version is produced in Germany.

Correct. I did not update the firmware. Without that update, it communicates a wrong FL to the K1 firmware so the camera will not trigger it.
07-03-2018, 09:33 AM   #12

Yeh...

Little things can do big things. Fits my waist pocket and saved some photos for me. A must!

Otherwise I have two Metz 58AF1 - with some other "dirty" things like extension cables, diffusers and reflectors. etc.
For me Metz is the thing - I can have instant spare parts and service om ém here in Sweden.
Broke the plastic foot on one of them - three days later it was in my postbox - in metal with instructions. (58AF2-version?)
07-04-2018, 03:45 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I got the Yongnuo YN585EX P-TTL a few months ago. I don't use it much but I am pleased with it so far.
07-04-2018, 04:34 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

OK. Now you've had a recommendation for almost every 3rd party Pentax-Compatible shoe-mount strobe available, both pTTL capable and manual. Posting a question such as "which flash" or "which lens" (even worse) on this forum can really be helpful - seriously.
07-04-2018, 04:53 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I bought the Metz M400 as a small(ish) flash for my K-1. It’s a bit pricey for the size, but the light output and features make it worth the additional cash outlay, in my opinion.