Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2018, 03:24 AM - 7 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
5 days in

Picked up my Mk2 from the post office 5 days ago and here are my first impressions.

and this is going to be a big surprise...… shock even …….

it is all going to come down to the glass you bolt on the front of it.

I have been experimenting with my ridiculous glass collection, put together over 45 years of Pentax Participation.
...and I will list what I have on hand
...and what my LBA itch has started to get my attention (at the end)

My full frame lenses: Tokina ATX Pro 20-35 f2.8. Sigma 24mm f1.8. FA 43 Ltd. DFA 100. Tamron 28-300. Pentax SMC F 35-80. Sigma 70-200 f2.8. Pentax DA*200. Pentax DA*300. Sigma 135-400.

My impressions to date:
Tokina....very good, gives me the wide angle I am looking for.
Sigma....initially I went here for my "go to " but the Tokina is better.
Tamron 28-300....purchased this second hand at the right price, thinking of a travel lens option, backing it up with more notable primes... impressed...very impressed !! I accept I may have landed a very good copy of this lens, but it is in the bag for Sept.
FA 43 Ltd... Say no more. Superb.
Sigma 70 -200 f2.8....if only I was shooting sports again, love it, but it is heavy and a special purpose lens now overtaken by the Tamron.
almost forgot....the 35-80... $30 a few years back.....it is also in the bag... amazing little lens.

The rest have not been tested yet.

The LBA itch.???? The 15-30. or one of the Irix 15mm offerings.

Oh...the camera ?.... nothing wrong with that, works perfectly and am very, VERY happy with the images I am getting during this experimentation stage with glass, I am very confident once I get the combinations worked out I am going to enhance my photography.

If you are on the fence like I was, step off it, inhale the smell of burning plastic (credit card)and get on board.

07-03-2018, 03:37 AM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

that a review that speaks of the " real world "
07-03-2018, 07:14 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Glad you got there in the end. Congrats.

Give the Sigma 70-200 a good run when you've the time. I'm quite fond of it.
07-03-2018, 07:42 AM   #4

I'm also more than impressed with my mk2. I've shot a few events with it now, with more to come. Anything from hectic situations involving runners, obstacles etc. to low lit concerts, gatherings etc. The Mk2 has performed superbly. Autofocus is impressive, low light capabilities etc. I'm a happy pentaxian. Just trying to figure out how I will afford the 50/1.4 :O

07-03-2018, 10:32 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I have been getting excellent images with mine using my Pentax 70-200.
07-03-2018, 11:46 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
Picked up my Mk2 from the post office 5 days ago and here are my first impressions.

Just for clarity, is this an upgraded mark I or a mark II bought as such new? I'd like to see feedback regarding the upgrade after folks have had a few weeks of shooting with it.

Also, I highly recommend the 15-30. It is a really nice performing lens, and despite it's size, still feels good on the camera. I even went so far as to buy a Fotodiox filter kit for it, and would do that again too. Great lens.

Last edited by clickclick; 07-03-2018 at 01:34 PM.
07-03-2018, 03:29 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Just for clarity, is this an upgraded mark I or a mark II bought as such new? I'd like to see feedback regarding the upgrade after folks have had a few weeks of shooting with it.

Also, I highly recommend the 15-30. It is a really nice performing lens, and despite it's size, still feels good on the camera. I even went so far as to buy a Fotodiox filter kit for it, and would do that again too. Great lens.
clickclick….it is the Mk 2 new camera...not an upgraded original K1.

07-03-2018, 04:27 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

clickclick….it is the Mk 2 new camera...not an upgraded original K1.
Thanks.
07-04-2018, 06:35 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The LBA itch.???? The 15-30. or one of the Irix 15mm offerings.
The 15-30 if you ask me, if you don't mind the weight. I don't, this is the price you pay for a first clas piece of glass. You will be rewarded with top quality photos.

There is one thing you have to look out for though and that is flare. Under certain circumstances this lens is prone to flare, sometimes badly. When it flares badly you can see it clearly in the Viewfinder. Often however the flare is very little and you will not be aware of it in the VF and even on the computer screen you have to look twice. (As in the second sample shot.)

To avoid this I have learned to shield the lens by holding my hand high above the lens to block the sun in such a way that it won't be showing in the picture.

Go for it !

P.S.
Exorcism is one sure way to cure LBA

Last edited by Schraubstock; 10-27-2018 at 10:48 PM.
07-04-2018, 03:35 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Stop it !! Now !! :-(
07-05-2018, 07:09 AM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Ha! So you think! There is no cure but to buy another lens, and then another and another. As mentioned on another thread, there is empty wallet syndrome due to LBA drain, but that's why we have this thing called work
07-15-2018, 09:22 PM   #12
Forum Member

Any updates Grant? And I vote for the 15-30 as well - its an awesome bit of gear.
07-18-2018, 04:47 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Growden Quote
Any updates Grant? And I vote for the 15-30 as well - its an awesome bit of gear.
Its been cold and miserable Tony, so haven't been out a lot, but when I have, been messing around with lesser lenses in dull conditions has seen those lenses consigned to the shelf. Think this will be my prime lens camera.
07-18-2018, 06:03 AM   #14
Pentaxian

and this is going to be a big surprise...… shock even …….

it is all going to come down to the glass you bolt on the front of it.
Am I correct in interpreting these statements as saying that you would be dissatisfied with the Mk2 if all you had was inexpensive glass?

Would you say the same thing about the Mk 1?
07-18-2018, 04:57 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Am I correct in interpreting these statements as saying that you would be dissatisfied with the Mk2 if all you had was inexpensive glass?

Would you say the same thing about the Mk 1?
You would be wrong in that interpretation. I will say the same thing about any camera, put average glass / lens on the front of a really good camera and you are limited by the capability of that particular lens. Put a top quality lens on a lower spec camera and you are limited by the camera's capability.

Sometimes though you discover a vastly under rated lens that surprises you....and vice versa. The best example I can give you is the performance of the little plastic fantastic Pentax F 35-80, this thing is a genuine surprise in a positive sense.

My testing ( put lens on camera...go for walk & shoot ) to date has been mainly with the lesser known lenses to discover any hidden gems as I have full confidence in the ability of my high end glass.