Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-04-2018, 07:43 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Rear LCD in Liveview

I noticed by chance something with my rear LCD when in Liveview on my K-1 that was upgraded to the MKII. With the lens cap on in Liveview the screen has horizontal grey banding with a thinner light grey band separating them. There is about 16 bands total. Does any one else see this as well? I searched the forum and internet without getting any returns of anything similar. I don't remember seeing this behavior in the past but I don't think I ever had the camera in Liveview with the lens cap on before recently.

TIA.

07-04-2018, 07:52 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Sounds like the banding discussed in white dot thread. My 1st mk-1 had banding which was corrected with 2nd sensor calibration attempt. If so...then the upgrade process is missing some fine tuning part.

Putting on lenscap cranks the exposure and sensitivity for the camera to see something. My banding tests were ISO51200+ exposures & 30 seconds in totally dark condition which gave dim band in top of the dark frame and it was easy to see.

Can you take such dark frame? Remember - total darkness. Put whole camera in light sealed container.
07-04-2018, 07:55 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I only have a K-3 so just guessing here:
Maybe you see some lightleakage through the optical viewfinder, try the same again with the OVF covered too.

Last edited by othar; 07-04-2018 at 09:24 AM.
07-04-2018, 08:41 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a factory K-1ii and the live view with lens cap on is just random noise. No banding even when I set to +2. When set to -1 it is smooth black. My silver K-1 is similar to what you describe. K-3ii smooth black.

07-04-2018, 10:17 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies.

MJKoski the banding I am seeing is on the rear LCD. I haven't seen or tested for the banding in actual files. The rear LCD the banding is more pronounced at ISO100. As you raise the ISO it is still there but not as evident.

othar I tried covering the OVF with the same results.

Mikesul it would seem that the original K-1 exhibits this behavior with the LCD screen. Mine is the original K-1 albeit upgraded.

Here is what it looks like:

07-04-2018, 11:00 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Very weird. Please try darkframe at ridiculously high ISO and long exposure as explained above.
07-04-2018, 11:06 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
Thanks for the replies.

MJKoski the banding I am seeing is on the rear LCD. I haven't seen or tested for the banding in actual files. The rear LCD the banding is more pronounced at ISO100. As you raise the ISO it is still there but not as evident.

othar I tried covering the OVF with the same results.

Mikesul it would seem that the original K-1 exhibits this behavior with the LCD screen. Mine is the original K-1 albeit upgraded.

Here is what it looks like:
That is what i see also. It never shows up in my pictures so i am not concerned for now.

---------- Post added 07-04-18 at 11:09 AM ----------

It goes away when the gain is lowered on the lcd so it may be only be an artifact of the lcd. It is not there on my K-3ii.

07-04-2018, 11:25 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Mikesul it was a concern when I first noticed but it looks like a common behavior for the K-1.

Here is a 30 sec exposure with the cap on and the camera under a dark cover. I also pushed file 2 stops in pp:

What ever is causing the banding on the LCD doesn't seem to show up in the files. This has been my experience in general. I haven't noticed such banding in files either now or before having the upgrade done. The only place banding does show up is using Liveview and the electronic shutter under certain lighting conditions.

Last edited by Rico; 07-04-2018 at 11:39 AM.
07-04-2018, 11:58 AM   #9

What ever is causing the banding on the LCD
Maybe it's a scaling artifact.

What happens when you zoom in?
07-04-2018, 12:19 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Dark frame looks nice. Nothing to worry I guess.
07-04-2018, 12:32 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just tested out my K1.
Went from ISO 100 to 1600.
In LV for all the above it is a black screen.
Hit the OK button for full zoom and have a black screen and if you look real good you can see what I describe as a swarm of grey/white gnats flying in swarm style.
They are very dim, you got to look.
No banding through.

Clarence
07-04-2018, 01:18 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Mikesul it was a concern when I first noticed but it looks like a common behavior for the K-1.

Here is a 30 sec exposure with the cap on and the camera under a dark cover. I also pushed file 2 stops in pp:

What ever is causing the banding on the LCD doesn't seem to show up in the files. This has been my experience in general. I haven't noticed such banding in files either now or before having the upgrade done. The only place banding does show up is using Liveview and the electronic shutter under certain lighting conditions.
I agree. Actually I was never really concerned just responding to other posters with data. Your test was what I was going to do next but now I do not have to. Thanks!
07-04-2018, 02:41 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
I agree. Actually I was never really concerned just responding to other posters with data. Your test was what I was going to do next but now I do not have to. Thanks!
Mikesul I figured I started the thread I should post an image. :^)

---------- Post added 07-04-18 at 05:41 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
Dark frame looks nice. Nothing to worry I guess.
Agreed.

---------- Post added 07-04-18 at 05:44 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by c.perkins Quote
I just tested out my K1.
Went from ISO 100 to 1600.
In LV for all the above it is a black screen.
Hit the OK button for full zoom and have a black screen and if you look real good you can see what I describe as a swarm of grey/white gnats flying in swarm style.
They are very dim, you got to look.
No banding through.

Clarence
c.perkins this suggest it is not the same for every K-1. When did you pick up your K-1? Mine is from July, 2016.
07-04-2018, 02:46 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Rico;

Two months ago from Adorama.

Clarence
07-04-2018, 02:49 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by funktionsfrei Quote
Maybe it's a scaling artifact.

What happens when you zoom in?
funktionsfrei when I zoom in there is no banding present straight from 2x zoom.

I switched the screen between 50hz and 60hz which didn't make a difference for the full view banding I see.

---------- Post added 07-04-18 at 05:52 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by c.perkins Quote
Rico;

Two months ago from Adorama.

Clarence
c.perkins this may be the reason you are not seeing it having a more recent model.