Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
07-06-2018, 07:58 AM - 4 Likes   #1

Grown to really like K1

I was (and still am) a long-time 4/3 and M4/3 Oly shooter before buying the K1 shortly after it came out. I still love the abilities of my EM1. It's great for stealth shooting at events, for instance. But for most things, I just keep returning to the K1. It has plenty of things that could be improved, but I just enjoy the thing. I recently rented a Panasonic GX9 to try, and after a couple days I'm ready to send it back. Nothing to do with the image quality (m43 image quality is remarkably good). It mostly to do with the "real camera" feel of the K1. Easy controls, nice grip. Guess I'm just too used to it now.

I wouldn't complain if Pentax released a lighter weight version someday, and improved the live view. I would also love a way to go completely silent shutter like a mirrorless (using the lcd) provided the readout was fast enough.

As is, I'm seriously considering the *50 1.4. Credit card is almost paid off....

07-06-2018, 08:05 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. The k-1 is a fine camera.
07-06-2018, 08:56 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The more you use the K-1, the more you'll grow to like it. The weight is primarily due to what is packed inside it. It already uses a lightweight frame but lightening the electronics, motors, and other parts is hard to do and still retain its functionality. That, and if parts are replaced with plastic (which is lighter and had been used in many consumer grade cameras), mechanical integrity would be compromised.
As you use your K-1, report your experiences here. Some improvements on the K-1 have already been made (through firmware and a new model), and I'm sure Ricoh looks to these comments for practical suggestions on future issues.

Given a good lens, you'll be amazed at the image quality the K-1 delivers. Formerly, I used film, scanned at 4000dpi, and the K-1 exceeds that in resolution capability. It pulls every last bit of details out of most lenses. Your choice of the 50mm is a good one for an all-round lens but be forewarned, that credit card can be easily depleted again when you contract a fixation on lenses for your K-1
07-06-2018, 09:04 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by johnkrumm Quote
I was (and still am) a long-time 4/3 and M4/3 Oly shooter before buying the K1 shortly after it came out. I still love the abilities of my EM1. It's great for stealth shooting at events, for instance. But for most things, I just keep returning to the K1. It has plenty of things that could be improved, but I just enjoy the thing. I recently rented a Panasonic GX9 to try, and after a couple days I'm ready to send it back. Nothing to do with the image quality (m43 image quality is remarkably good). It mostly to do with the "real camera" feel of the K1. Easy controls, nice grip. Guess I'm just too used to it now.

I wouldn't complain if Pentax released a lighter weight version someday, and improved the live view. I would also love a way to go completely silent shutter like a mirrorless (using the lcd) provided the readout was fast enough.

As is, I'm seriously considering the *50 1.4. Credit card is almost paid off....
Glad you're enjoying the K-1, it's a great camera. I bet that new 50 will be a good match for it too. Funny I just picked up a GX9 as a lighter weight kit mostly for travel. Now I'm going to have to balance getting an additional lens for it or a wider prime for the K-1. The very reason I was holding up on buying into M4/3 hmmmm...

07-06-2018, 03:12 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for posting. I'm really attached to my K-1 too.
Currently if I'm travelling light somewhere I take my K-01 with the DA40 f2.8xs (along with a DA15) which is small and light enough for my needs.

I must admit I would love it, if there were some smaller / lighter primes available (even if they were slower) for the K-1. I still use a FA28, FA35, and FA50 quite a bit although its the FA35 f2 that performs the best on the K-1. That said even though the DFA*50 looks big and heavy, I'm starting to drool over it.
07-06-2018, 08:58 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnkrumm Quote

I'm not sure what you mean by a "completely silent shutter", but the K-1 has an electronic shutter mode using Live View, that is pretty quiet. I use it mainly for longer exposures, to reduce body movement when mounted on a tripod, rather than for its quiet operation.
07-07-2018, 04:30 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I'm not sure what you mean by a "completely silent shutter", but the K-1 has an electronic shutter mode using Live View, that is pretty quiet.
But for some unknown reason the mechanical shutter is cycled at the end of the electronic shutter exposure, and thus it isn't silent anymore.

07-07-2018, 05:37 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
But for some unknown reason the mechanical shutter is cycled at the end of the electronic shutter exposure, and thus it isn't silent anymore.
In which case, I should listen more closely when I use the ES next.
07-07-2018, 07:59 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Agree with Michaelina2. The K-1ii is a worthy upgrade to the K-1.
07-07-2018, 06:37 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Agree with Michaelina2. The K-1ii is a worthy upgrade to the K-1.
How so Mike ?

I would just like to know from a fellow photographer that has/or had both the K1 and K1m2, in their own words explain/describe why the mk2 is worth it.

I sat right here two months ago debating to justify the price difference between the two.
I chose the K1 over the mk2

Been very pleased with it and the DA*300 attached for what I do.(Full frame mode obviously).
Well actually I am freaking impressed with it.
If you want to know what I have to compare it to, just read my signature line.(Has all my bodies and lenses listed)

To this day I have yet to see, hear or read anything that would have swayed me into the mk2 over the K1.

Not trying to start some sort of quibble, but we all know how that tuns out around here, don't we ? (and yes, trying to get the post count up too)

So we all head out tomorrow morning with our k1's and mk2's or both.(I am taking the K1 and DA*300)
When we get back and develop those images from the day.

What would you be able to impress upon yourself that the mk2 is better than the K1.

No new camera syndrome or all that human quality stuff.
Just explain to me in your own words why the K1m2 is the better camera over the K1.

Thank you;
Clarence

PS:
To the OP, sorry for the thread wag.
07-07-2018, 06:51 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ask Michaelina2. Now all the good that could be done by responding has been done with this extra post toward the total.
07-07-2018, 06:58 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In fairness. It adds three things that at least some of us like: the AFC seems quicker and more stable, the handheld pixel shift seems to work well, I take others word that noise is less but that has rarely been an issue for me. There that is it. I have owned and like every Pentax so called flagship since the K-7 and that now includes the K-1ii. It is a minor upgrade and not worth long analysis to me. Almost everything about most modern cameras is great and judgments about which is better rest on the tastes and needs of each user. I am usually very bored by the long discussions of what is better. Check the stats and decide.
07-07-2018, 08:19 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Mike S;

Good comment in your own words and thank you.

"AFC seems more quicker and stable" (seems is one of my points)
"The handheld pixel shift seems to work well" (seems is still one of my points)
"Noise" (I do not go above ISO 1600 anyway)
"Check the stats and decide" (Already decided two months ago).

Thank you Mike S.
You are the first poster in your own words that was unable to convince others to purchase the K1m2

Thanks;
Clarence

PS;
Hot in Phoenix now is it not ?
Lived there 30 years, moved back East 3 years ago.
07-08-2018, 08:14 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c.perkins Quote
Mike S;

Good comment in your own words and thank you.

"AFC seems more quicker and stable" (seems is one of my points)
"The handheld pixel shift seems to work well" (seems is still one of my points)
"Noise" (I do not go above ISO 1600 anyway)
"Check the stats and decide" (Already decided two months ago).

Thank you Mike S.
You are the first poster in your own words that was unable to convince others to purchase the K1m2

Thanks;
Clarence

PS;
Hot in Phoenix now is it not ?
Lived there 30 years, moved back East 3 years ago.
I saw this kind of response coming which is why my first instinct was to avoid a response. The would have been correct. I have no interest in convincing anyone and didn't try to do so. I have no idea why you asked the question. By the way Wisconsin is not the East. It is the Midwest. I lived and loved northern Wisconsin for 18 years but 15 years ago I returned to AZ the land of my early youth because I like the heat, the dryness and the paucity of mosquitoes. Scorpions are much more pleasant to deal with.
07-08-2018, 09:38 AM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
I saw this kind of response coming which is why my first instinct was to avoid a response. The would have been correct. I have no interest in convincing anyone and didn't try to do so. I have no idea why you asked the question. By the way Wisconsin is not the East. It is the Midwest. I lived and loved northern Wisconsin for 18 years but 15 years ago I returned to AZ the land of my early youth because I like the heat, the dryness and the paucity of mosquitoes. Scorpions are much more pleasant to deal with.
Mike S;

It's all good, really.
I do not expect anyone to be able to really answer my question for awhile, maybe in a year of using one.

I grew up in Illinois and never really understood why people called it the Midwest, it is not even close to being west.
Central U.S. was and is how I describe it.
But Wisconsin is East of Arizona
Phoenix was nice in 1985, not too large and you could get around without all the traffic.
I watched it grow for 30yrs.
Felt it get warmer also from all the farm land turned into concrete and more construction and highways.
Glad we got out and moved back to the Midwest/North Central U.S.
Thanks Mike, take care out there.

Clarence