Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2018, 06:48 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Thanks Mikesul
The way you phrase your reply suggests I am unaware of the presense of the rear LCD and a top LCD. I am sure you did not mean this but that's how it reads.

In any case using these as a substitude for the the info panel in the viewfinder is not practical in my activity as a photographer. I need to see or be informed of the settings as I look through the VF. For a very important reasons namely:

For an instant reminder that my previous settings I had changed to are either suitable for the shot I am about to take and if not can be quickly changed WITHOUT taking my eye off the VF.

Using any other method would require to take the cam off my eye. Trying to read the rear LCD in snow country in clear sky and bright sun is next to impossible, as we all know. The small top LCD while it may be more readabl does only give minimal scant information.
Going down this route to do adjustmants under these tying condition and by the time I have done it, put my eye back to the VF... oh crap, the shot I wanted to take is gone.

You can now see why a brightness control wheel or button somewhere in easy reach directly on the camera body would be more than just a good idea.
Should be doable don't you think ?

Cheers
No, I was correcting myself, not you. In my original post I had said LCDs forgetting that the top one is an LED. That was all I intended - to fix my careless wording on the first post.

On the K-1 the LCD is easily read even in the bright Arizona midday sun when it is set to one of the higher settings usings Fx2. This has solved many problems for me.f

I do not know what Pentax can do on new bodies but at least for me, the K-1 lcd solution works fine.

07-09-2018, 07:11 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Mike, thanks for the reply. The LCD can work, sure, but not for me. I rather use my baseball cap even if it messes up my hair as I turn it from one side to the other.

I'll keep campaigning for brightness control. Pentax - maybe one day.
07-09-2018, 07:35 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try using a mono pod Schraubstock?
07-09-2018, 07:38 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Mike, thanks for the reply. The LCD can work, sure, but not for me. I rather use my baseball cap even if it messes up my hair as I turn it from one side to the other.

I'll keep campaigning for brightness control. Pentax - maybe one day.
Baseball hats are the best tech solutions for a lot of things!

07-09-2018, 07:58 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Which rubber hoods for the viewfinder have you used? Some are quite large others are whimpy.

There are many like this on eBay that may work. Look at this on eBay Universal 5-in-1 Eyecup Eye cup For Canon Nikon Pentax Olympus Leica Sony DSLR 713095330364 | eBay
07-09-2018, 08:05 AM   #21
Veteran Member

If you have glass with Transition(Lens darken when expose to sun ) or polarised it's very hard to read many type of electronic display outside.
07-09-2018, 08:09 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Note that the one I posted isn't one I've tried. I just know that type exists, usually reversible to work left or right eye'd.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 07-09-2018 at 12:19 PM.
07-09-2018, 09:20 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
If you have glass with Transition(Lens darken when expose to sun ) or polarised it's very hard to read many type of electronic display outside.
My prescription sunglasses work ok, not great but ok. I do not get the transition versions for that reason. Best view for me is always to adjust diopter to my uncorrected vision but since my photography is mainly while hiking or walking I want my glasses on for clearer vision when not looking though the view finder. Everything in life is a compromise.
07-10-2018, 04:27 PM   #24
Forum Member

This is why large format photographers hide under a cloth. Wearing a hoodie with oversized hood should work as an alternative to focusing cloth. As for that LED display, I think most if not all Pentax DSLRs have automatic brightness adjustment, it's just that bright level is not bright enough. Some regulations imposing limits? I find it hard to see inside a room on bright summer day at noon (no direct sunlight).

Another problem for me – there is too much information crammed in small space. Display suffers from information overload, various icons are not distinct enough. When I am looking through viewfinder, I am preoccupied with framing, composition and focusing, so I find it difficult to divert attention to display. So I'm shooting JPG assuming I'm shooting RAW, or try to change focus point only to brig white balance settings, even though mode for 4-way controller or file format is indicated there. They could make icons more distinct if they used different colors and placed some LEDs on the sides (of course then there would complains that viewfinder looks like a Christmas tree).

Last edited by Aberrator; 07-10-2018 at 04:43 PM.
07-13-2018, 09:56 AM   #25
Pentaxian

I am familiar with all camera settings.
I'm not sure you got the message funktionsfrei intended to send.

Funktionsfrei correctly pointed out that Pentax DSLRs already have the hardware capability of adjusting the brightness of the internal viewfinder display. The cameras automatically adjust the brightness level (in at least two levels) depending on ambient light levels.

Funktionsfrei hypothesized that possibly this adaptation mechanism is broken in your camera copy; it is potentially stuck on the low setting. Do you notice the display brightness adapt to ambient lighting conditions?
07-13-2018, 12:31 PM   #26
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Pentax DSLRs already have the hardware capability of adjusting the brightness
But the Sun is brighter. There could be some extra almost-blindingly-bright level.