Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-14-2018, 12:43 PM   #1
Veteran Member

K1 spot focus doesn't always spot focus

I had this the other day but can't reproduce it right now.

Taking the pic of a plant; the standard sort of thing

The above worked OK, as you can see. But earlier I just could not make it focus. I took the battery out for a few secs, to reset the camera.

Is there some gotcha with the spot focus?

I did have the movable spot location in the middle of the image.

07-14-2018, 02:18 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Please give us some more details about your settings and what happened. Sometimes we are too close for the focus to work. If the camera is set to focus priority it will not fire in that circumstance. I offer that as an example. There may well have been some other issue.
07-14-2018, 02:33 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is a "Hold AF Status" option that you could set to "Off". You can find it in the K-1 manual. It is a camera menu option for AF settings. I myself keep mine off. I do not want anything restricting my shutter release. I am not sure if that not being set to off may be influencing your shooting, but it could possibly.

I also shoot in AF.C most of the time instead of AF.S. The AF.C mode being the one which will not lock after pressing the shutter down halfway, but will adjust, as opposed to AF.S which will lock.

As was already mentioned, you could also be too close for the lens to be making focus. That depends on what the specs of the lens are referring to minimal distance that is required to make a normal focus. If your camera makes the acknowledgment beep when you make focus you will know that it is making successful focus.
07-14-2018, 07:34 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I believe the Hold options only come into play in AFC when tracking is enabled. The "shutter action on first frame" options is what controls the shutter release in AFC. With AFS, there is the option which either prevents or allows shutter release if the subject is not in focus.

07-14-2018, 07:44 PM   #5
Marketplace Reseller

This is how the focus point size and area coverage actually appear as told to me by a Pentax service tech (I drew this up based on what they explained to me)

07-14-2018, 10:43 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The distance was well OK for the lens (24-70 f2.8) - distance about 1m.
The config is to not release the shutter until focus is achieved; this is occassionally irritating, indeed.

Most of my photography is landscape so I don't use spot focus; I use the 3x3 option which is the next one up from the spot. This almost totally prevents the shutter release block when there is a low contrast area in the middle (e.g. some calm water).

I have just been out in the garden and cannot make it fail

MightyMike - your diagram suggests that spot focus may not work for vertical or horizontal line objects if they are thinner than about 2x the dot width.

Last edited by peterh337; 07-14-2018 at 11:04 PM.
07-15-2018, 02:28 PM   #7

Was it focusing on nothing and hunting or focusing on the background?

As @MightyMike shows in the diagramme above, the AF spots are quite big, and it may focus on the background area if it's higher contrast and in the edges of the 'spot'.

07-15-2018, 02:53 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MightyMike Quote
This is how the focus point size and area coverage actually appear as told to me by a Pentax service tech (I drew this up based on what they explained to me)
That is wrong at least with regards to the distances between vertical lines.

Those are definitely all equal. It can't be different, since the spacing of the actual lines on the sensor module is equidistant: http://www.photographyreview.com/reviews/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/pentax-K...r-1024x766.jpg
07-15-2018, 05:44 PM   #9
Marketplace Reseller

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
That is wrong at least with regards to the distances between vertical lines.

Those are definitely all equal. It can't be different, since the spacing of the actual lines on the sensor module is equidistant: http://www.photographyreview.com/reviews/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/pentax-K...r-1024x766.jpg
That is making the assumption that the optics leading to the chip are perfectly symmetrical.

---------- Post added 07-15-18 at 08:45 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by peterh337 Quote

MightyMike - your diagram suggests that spot focus may not work for vertical or horizontal line objects if they are thinner than about 2x the dot width.
You never hold the camera steady or perfectly straight, this is not something to worry about.
07-15-2018, 11:12 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It was focusing on other objects, in the background of the one intended.

With more testing it does just look like the size of the focus spot is just bigger than is shown in the viewfinder.
07-15-2018, 11:59 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MightyMike Quote
That is making the assumption that the optics leading to the chip are perfectly symmetrical.
Well, it is not making your exotic assumption that they use lenses which stretch certain bits of the image, especially in the case of AF, where two images need to be compared pixel by pixel.

Let's let the readers decide which sounds more reasonable.

---------- Post added 16th Jul 2018 at 09:09 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by peterh337 Quote
it does just look like the size of the focus spot is just bigger than is shown in the viewfinder.
This is always the case, see Canon for example: Canon DLC: Article: An inside look at Spot AF

The user Barry Pearson has a nice image of the focus points and the actual size of the center ("spot") cross, which you can use as overlay image in Lightroom.

Roughly speaking: Draw a square into the spot metering circle of the viewfinder overlay as big as possible with the four corners touching the circle. Then draw a cross sensor inside the square as big as possible.
07-16-2018, 04:34 AM   #12

This is always the case, see Canon for example: Canon DLC: Article: An inside look at Spot AF

The user Barry Pearson has a nice image of the focus points and the actual size of the center ("spot") cross, which you can use as overlay image in Lightroom.

Roughly speaking: Draw a square into the spot metering circle of the viewfinder overlay as big as possible with the four corners touching the circle. Then draw a cross sensor inside the square as big as possible.
Is it confirmed that the 'spot' focus mode on the K1 has a different size to the single point 'select' focus mode? E.g. is there any different between spot and SEL mode with selection of the centre point?
07-16-2018, 04:57 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That would be interesting to know too... I did wonder about that.
07-16-2018, 06:13 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dericali Quote
Is it confirmed that the 'spot' focus mode on the K1 has a different size to the single point 'select' focus mode? E.g. is there any different between spot and SEL mode with selection of the centre point?
No. Canon calls as special small size version of the AF cross "spot", while Pentax calls a fixed center AF field "spot". But that has no impact to my statement or the link. The graphics in the link simply shows that typically the actual cross is significantly larger than the point display in the viewfinder (true for all DSLR systems).
07-16-2018, 07:20 AM   #15
Marketplace Reseller

Well, it is not making your exotic assumption that they use lenses which stretch certain bits of the image, especially in the case of AF, where two images need to be compared pixel by pixel.

Let's let the readers decide which sounds more reasonable.[COLOR="Silver"]
The corner cross type points were described to me as L-shaped not T-shaped in the orientation I've provided in the image, perhaps the spacing isn't spot on but the orientation certainly is