Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2018, 05:51 AM   #1

Pixel shift with pixel artefacts

Recently I did some photography of paintings using the pixel shift function on the K1 (using the 50mm macro lens). Camera was on a tripod, SR was off.

I have noticed what look to be some distortions at a pixel level in the areas of dark paint, which show as a single bright pixel. I took non-PS photos at the same time, so in some cases I can see some kind of mark or colour in the non-PS photos, in others I see nothing.

I'm viewing these at 4:1- 8:1 in LR, but if you know where to look you will see them at 1:1 on my 27" monitor. I'm concerned because this would undercut using PS for certain kinds of photography like archiving.

I'm wondering if anyone has noticed anything similar or whether this could be caused by some other phenomenon such as dead pixels in my camera, dirt on the sensor? Does this always happen with PS when trying to photograph specks of colour smaller than 1 pixel? Should I look at developing PS photos in SilkyPix or alternate avenues than LR?

Raw files here:

Update your browser to use Google Drive - Google Drive Help

Attached Images

07-18-2018, 06:29 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
These are defective pixels. The easiest solution is to run the "Pixel Mapping" function in #4 Wrench menu before you do a run of archival images.
07-18-2018, 07:13 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Do you know for certain that there are no bright specks on the painting? Pixelshift picks up on single-pixel level detail. I've had examples where I thought there was artifacts but realised it was actual detail. Contrast at pixel level can get very high.
07-18-2018, 09:42 AM   #4
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dericali Quote
Recently I did some photography of paintings using the pixel shift function on the K1 (using the 50mm macro lens). Camera was on a tripod, SR was off.

I have noticed what look to be some distortions at a pixel level in the areas of dark paint, which show as a single bright pixel. I took non-PS photos at the same time, so in some cases I can see some kind of mark or colour in the non-PS photos, in others I see nothing.

I'm viewing these at 4:1- 8:1 in LR, but if you know where to look you will see them at 1:1 on my 27" monitor. I'm concerned because this would undercut using PS for certain kinds of photography like archiving.

I'm wondering if anyone has noticed anything similar or whether this could be caused by some other phenomenon such as dead pixels in my camera, dirt on the sensor? Does this always happen with PS when trying to photograph specks of colour smaller than 1 pixel? Should I look at developing PS photos in SilkyPix or alternate avenues than LR?

Raw files here:

Update your browser to use Google Drive - Google Drive Help
I have had the exact same problem. Night-pixel shift exposures were littered with very bright red, green and blue random square artifacts. Photoptimist is correct: pixel mapping fixed the issue for me.

07-18-2018, 12:57 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
These are defective pixels. The easiest solution is to run the "Pixel Mapping" function in #4 Wrench menu before you do a run of archival images.
Okay that's great to know. Thanks