Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2018, 06:03 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Back button focus customization help needed

I am a fan of back button focus. But in the AUTO expousre mode (green dial) I rather use half-pressed focusing. The user manual and my experience shows that button customizations are applied to all exposure modes, including AUTO. Is there a work around to this issue or should I put it in suggestions and feedback forum?

The AUTO mode is a bit painful because if I need to lend my camera for a few minutes and I don't want to explain my AF customizations, I just switch everything to “green” and on my K-5 it worked ok. On my K-1 I need to either go into menus and make it more user friendly, or give a short lecture on how the focusing now works, which is not ideal for those who are already intimidated by big cameras.

07-18-2018, 07:14 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Have you tried creating a USER mode which has AUTO exposure and the focus method you wish ?
07-18-2018, 08:23 AM   #3

Original Poster
Alas, USER mode can not have AUTO exposure, but it can have P mode. This does not prevent accidental Tv and Av changes, but in button customization I could remove both options for the P mode in E-dial Programming. Now to find a way how to disable changing white balance and color profiles. Thanks for the advice!
07-18-2018, 09:34 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I believe the Lock function carries over into a USER mode. If not, just set everything up the way you like it then hit LOCK before handing it over to the neophyte.

07-18-2018, 12:03 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Tranzistors Quote
Alas, USER mode can not have AUTO exposure, but it can have P mode. This does not prevent accidental Tv and Av changes, but in button customization I could remove both options for the P mode in E-dial Programming. Now to find a way how to disable changing white balance and color profiles. Thanks for the advice!
There is a custom function (20 or 21 as far as I recall) that essentially locks down the 4-way controller. Or you can reverse the logic and use your user modes for back button focusing, while keeping all defaults in auto mode.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-18-2018, 12:50 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Or just tell your friend to buy their own camera.
07-18-2018, 12:55 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

People talk about this as a problem from time to time. If you want special settings and/or composition take the picture yourself or use a tripod. I have handed my camera to non-photographers a number of times without problems. I put it in P or Auto and show them how to focus and shoot. Easy. I do not expect great shots. Since I am giving the camera to a volunteer I am happy with what I get. I cannot imagine that it would be worth the trouble setting up a special mode. Sorry, I am grumpy today.
07-18-2018, 10:38 PM   #8
Forum Member

In reference to #2 and #3 , you could store up to 5 (unsure how many user modes the K-1 has...KP has 5) of your favorite modes (M, Av, TA , P etc.) As user modes 1 thru 5, with back button AF settings the way you like, then have the "default" setting for all the non-user modes including AUTO. Not perfect but it's let you have auto work the way you want.

07-19-2018, 12:04 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I did not use the old "original" green mode often, but now when I need it I miss it a lot.

The idea of having a mode where basically all settings are locked into the default value was great to have on advanced DSLR.
Because it was so easy to set up a "granny mode" where all customization where switched off and most buttons and dials where inactive, so there where little risk of screwing up the settings.

Then they started to mess up with the green mode and let the user customize the setting more and more in green mode.
And on latest cameras the green mode is removed completely and replaced with an auto mode like the one used on entry level cameras.
There is nothing wrong with an auto mode, but could they not have kept the green mode with the original purpose too?

It feels like they have forgotten the original purpose of the green mode.
07-19-2018, 01:30 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul;4366975I:
put it in P or Auto and show them how to focus and shoot. Easy.
On paper, yes. I use may camera to also shoot in events with friends and family, lending camera gives me an option to take a break and to participate in the activities AND still have pictures taken. Even if I quickly explain to how the AF works, it's easy to forget about it in the moment, which leads to either frustration of totally misfocused images. Besides, it gives a wrong impression about what the Pentax camera is like. A while ago I had the same problem with lending my heavily customized Linux laptop.

I remember when I moved to back button focus, it took a while to get used to it, and even after that, when moved from K-5 to K-1, at start I missed shots because I was pressing the wrong button to focus. I just switched back to default focusing button in the events until I retrained my muscle memory.

Last edited by Tranzistors; 07-19-2018 at 03:26 AM.
07-19-2018, 09:01 AM   #11
F/8 & Somewhere
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tranzistors Quote
I am a fan of back button focus. But in the AUTO expousre mode (green dial) I rather use half-pressed focusing. The user manual and my experience shows that button customizations are applied to all exposure modes, including AUTO. Is there a work around to this issue or should I put it in suggestions and feedback forum?

The AUTO mode is a bit painful because if I need to lend my camera for a few minutes and I don't want to explain my AF customizations, I just switch everything to “green” and on my K-5 it worked ok. On my K-1 I need to either go into menus and make it more user friendly, or give a short lecture on how the focusing now works, which is not ideal for those who are already intimidated by big cameras.
Whoa!!!! I hadn't realized that such a change had been made. My K-3 worked as expected in GREEN mode - hand it to anyone, and they could get a great picture of me and the missus with a desired background. OK, a selfie. I see that in AUTO, my K-1 and KP both fail to switch to shutter half-press focusing using all possible focus points. But I personally use back button focus with center spot focusing, which is terrible for those not accustomed to these specialized mechanisms. They could end up focusing on the background right between us, or not focusing at all. Nasty.

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
I did not use the old "original" green mode often, but now when I need it I miss it a lot.

The idea of having a mode where basically all settings are locked into the default value was great to have on advanced DSLR.
Because it was so easy to set up a "granny mode" where all customization where switched off and most buttons and dials where inactive, so there where little risk of screwing up the settings.

Then they started to mess up with the green mode and let the user customize the setting more and more in green mode.
And on latest cameras the green mode is removed completely and replaced with an auto mode like the one used on entry level cameras.
There is nothing wrong with an auto mode, but could they not have kept the green mode with the original purpose too?

It feels like they have forgotten the original purpose of the green mode.
Indeed. The workaround should be to put the camera into a GREEN mode, not hack around with tweaking settings all over the menus to get it near to what GREEN mode used to be.

Harrumph!! Looks like a hacked-up USER mode is the only way we can get close to the very useful GREEN mode of old.

Bring back the GREEN mode!!