Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2018, 09:35 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K-1 & Samyang/Rokinon 8mm CS II Experience?

What is your experience with the Samyang/Rokinon 8mm CS II with removable hood on a K-1?

07-24-2018, 09:40 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The 8mm is a crop fisheye, so a lot of the image circle goes uncovered on FF. A member did some tests earlier this year:

Peleng 8mm on K-1 - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-24-2018, 12:37 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting to see the Peleng that Adam linked giving more of a whole circle. My Rokinon is a bit different. It fills the frame in the vertical direction, but not horizontally, and yes, I have the "crop" turned off on my K1, and I removed the lens hood.

You might want to check out a Takumar 17mm (f4 version) fisheye. Here is a sample snap with my 8mm Rokinon CSII with the hood removed and then the same shot with the Takumar 4/17. Both were set to f8, but I bumped the ISO up with the Takumar after realizing what a slow shutter speed I was at, but the IBIS seems to have worked well with the Rokinon, even at 1/5th. The bird feeder at the bottom of the steps is my focus point. The Rokinon sees more of the world, no doubt, but you end up with a lot to crop out. The 17 actually plays pretty well, and I'm always surprised how good (little) the curvature is for the field of view.

First the Rokinon, and then the Takumar

And yes, between all the rain and the dog, my yard has turned to mud.....
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 

Last edited by clickclick; 07-24-2018 at 02:54 PM.
07-24-2018, 12:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Some time ago i grab a Pentax 10-17 Fisheye very cheap on amazon (by the 170USD), it cover the FF circle by the 13mm and above, (and works from 10mm in the APSC Crop mode).... in general, i think if you can find him cheap second hand or sale, its better option as is full automatic

07-24-2018, 05:16 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback, guys. I'd like to use the Samyang 8mm lens PRIMARILY on an infrared converted K-7, and secondarily in FF mode on the K-1.

The first version of the 8mm has been creatively used for IR by Richard Gadd on a K-7 (Richard Gadd Photography: Painting With Darkness: The Victorian Way of Death). Whether the CS II works as well might be open to question. PF Reviews reports the two lenses are virtually similar--1 gram difference--but user reviews of the two versions are very different. The CS II has higher ratings (but fewer reviewers--4 versus 28). DP Review reports that the lenses are the same--save the detachable lens hood on the CS II. They appear to be the same lens.

I'd like to use it on the K-1 and was hoping the vignetting was not as strong as it is (but the vignetting has its own appeal). Although in crop, it would yield a 12mm focal length and could be of use.

B&H has the Samyang/Rokinon 8mm CS II well priced at $219--the lowest price I've seen. With the Version I at $199, the lens hood is $20--not bad, all things considered.

Steve
07-25-2018, 05:40 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by StevenLS Quote
I'd like to use it on the K-1 and was hoping the vignetting was not as strong as it is (but the vignetting has its own appeal). Although in crop, it would yield a 12mm focal length and could be of use.
Just had a quick play and clickclick's sample is spot on. By a quick calc I'd say you could squeeze just under an extra 10% over the APSC frame in standard 3:2 before the corners are too noticeably vignetted. Not a huge amount, but you do get more vertical to play with. Plenty for 4:3 and 5:4, with both still having a little more width than APSC (and obviously much more height!). 1:1 ends up being just too much, with the corners being unrecoverable, but you could shoot 1:1 on the K-1 and then only need to crop a small amount to be fine.

B&H has the Samyang/Rokinon 8mm CS II well priced at $219--the lowest price I've seen. With the Version I at $199, the lens hood is $20--not bad, all things considered.
If you like fisheyes, that's a pretty good price. It's not a bad little lens. I don't believe there was any changes to the optical formulae between the original and CS II versions, maybe new coatings, but it is quite likely that the only real change was mechanical (the detachable hood) and maybe some internal fix that we don't know about, or a fix for another mount.
07-25-2018, 02:31 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
GodsPetMonkey, thanks for the framing suggestions. I hadn't thought of those angles.

07-25-2018, 04:56 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

GodsPetMonkey, thanks for the framing suggestions. I hadn't thought of those angles.
Here, I just hit my prior post of the Rokinon shot with FastStone to do a crop where I maintained the original aspect ratio. It shows as 16.83MP after cropping it, so you are getting a usable area that's almost 1MP more than the standard APS-C crop area of the K-1.

I've got to agree that this lens is a pretty darn good bargain at it's current pricing. I honestly think it's worth every bit of it's standard pricing. Build is nice, the color and contrast is nice, and it sharpens up nicely as you stop it down. Wide open it's a little soft, but just one click down (f5.6) makes a big improvement.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
07-29-2018, 08:00 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Here, I just hit my prior post of the Rokinon shot with FastStone to do a crop where I maintained the original aspect ratio. It shows as 16.83MP after cropping it, so you are getting a usable area that's almost 1MP more than the standard APS-C crop area of the K-1.

I've got to agree that this lens is a pretty darn good bargain at it's current pricing. I honestly think it's worth every bit of it's standard pricing. Build is nice, the color and contrast is nice, and it sharpens up nicely as you stop it down. Wide open it's a little soft, but just one click down (f5.6) makes a big improvement.
It’s a little bit more than an APSC crop, but this is very much an APSC lens. To me the real opportunity is narrower crop ratios, which also lets you get a bit more fishy in the vertical axis!

Can’t deny the value though, great way to get into fisheye views - I should really play with mine some more!