Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-28-2018, 01:28 AM   #1

Bakedin NR - should I disable Software NR?

I asked myself if some of the bad experiences with the K-1 MKII come from applying noise reduction to a allready noice reduced raw file. Capture One for example applies a fair amount of noise reduction by default until you push the slider to the left and disable it.

What are your experiences? How do you deal with that?

07-28-2018, 04:05 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, you've posed a loaded question to start with. Only DPR seems to be complaining about image quality. By and large people are happy with the mk II and that includes lots of people who chose to do the circuit board upgrade.

If image quality really was a noticeable step backwards those upgraders would be posting enmass and it hasn't happened.
07-28-2018, 04:17 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I find colour noise reduction harmless and useful. Luminance NR can destroy detail, but when used moderately you maintain detail while decreasing the visibility of noise. it is still visible when you pixel peep, but not when showing the picture at viewing size.
07-28-2018, 05:51 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
There can be no general rule for this because the beneficial (or detrimental) effects of NR vary so much with the scene, lens, aperture, shooting conditions, ISO, and the photographer's goals.

The best strategy is the try NR but inspect any detailed portions of the image for ill-effects.

07-28-2018, 06:57 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Viennese Quote
What are your experiences? How do you deal with that?
I don't have a K-1ii, but my approach applies nonetheless. First I look at the image and see if there is too much noise for my taste. If there is, I apply enough noise reduction to reduce the noise until it looks good to my eye, but not so much as to lose detail. I apply a little sharpening if required, but no so much as to introduce artifacts. If the noise is already sufficiently under control, I leave the NR at zero.
08-03-2018, 01:08 AM   #6

Original Poster
Possible solution:

C1 allows to write your own default NR values for specific cameras. Sounds like a reasonable solution. Double NR is too much of a good thing.
08-03-2018, 02:26 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I use a K-1 II, but I use Lightroom. I basically turn off noise reduction in Lightroom below iso 3200 and depending on the image will use a little bit over that. It just depends, but with the accelerator chip in the K-1 II you really don't need much noise reduction, even at higher iso settings.