Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2018, 03:38 AM   #16
Pentaxian
Andrea K's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Rome, Italy
Posts: 390
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alvaro_garcia Quote
Mixed feelings: some reviewers state worse results from the K1-II and some others state the opposite.
Sincerely I tested all the differences between the k-1 and the k-1 Mark II, also the infamous detail loss at high ISO, and in no one aspect the k-1 is better than the Mark II. And the k-1 is a very faboulous camera.

08-07-2018, 06:59 AM   #17
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 937
QuoteOriginally posted by alvaro_garcia Quote
Mixed feelings: some reviewers state worse results from the K1-II and some others state the opposite.
I have sent my K1 in for upgrade. What I have seen from the shots at Imaging-Resource is that there remain questions about what the accelerator chip does and why/in what circumstances with respect to detail retention. Now there are additional questions about a magenta cast at ISO 100 under longer exposures. I have seen nothing (except Bill Claff's test results) that's in any way definitive about what's going on with detail loss. I say that because if one scrutinizes the Imaging -Resource shots carefully across the whole field, It's a "now you see it, now you don't " business to me, and it calls into question to some extent the vagaries of testing itself. For what I use my camera for, the clear advantages I see outweigh the possible deficits. Everyone should make this decision for themselves!
08-07-2018, 07:49 AM   #18
Pentaxian
Andrea K's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Rome, Italy
Posts: 390
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
I have sent my K1 in for upgrade. What I have seen from the shots at Imaging-Resource is that there remain questions about what the accelerator chip does and why/in what circumstances with respect to detail retention. Now there are additional questions about a magenta cast at ISO 100 under longer exposures. I have seen nothing (except Bill Claff's test results) that's in any way definitive about what's going on with detail loss. I say that because if one scrutinizes the Imaging -Resource shots carefully across the whole field, It's a "now you see it, now you don't " business to me, and it calls into question to some extent the vagaries of testing itself. For what I use my camera for, the clear advantages I see outweigh the possible deficits. Everyone should make this decision for themselves!
Ah you mean Bill "Rishi dpthoughts" Claff? If I remember correctly the IR images had a different focus between old and new k-1.
08-07-2018, 09:47 AM   #19
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 937
QuoteOriginally posted by Andrea K Quote
Ah you mean Bill "Rishi dpthoughts" Claff? If I remember correctly the IR images had a different focus between old and new k-1.
Well, I don't think Bill Claff and Rishi are buds, and I don't think he's dpthoughts. He looks to be doing unbiased testing, and he's endorsed I think by Jim Kasson, whom I know to be unbiased. As far as the IR images are concerned....they aren't as messed up as the DPR ones were, and potentially still are as DPR moved its whole operation in between the K1 and K1mkII tests, in addition to all the other problems. I don't think the IR tests are that bad. That said, when you start scrutinizing these scenes as closely as we all have been, the question of how exactly the same everything is comes into, uh, focus.

08-07-2018, 04:00 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2016
Location: East Coast
Posts: 1,603
QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
questions about a magenta cast at ISO 100 under longer exposures
This is a head scratcher for me too. I've read, and I'm sure you've seen them too, posts saying if you change the exif to say it's a K-1 instead of a K-1 II, the issue goes away. That makes me think it's a software issue, but then there are the comments in one of Camerville's reviews mentioning Nikon and Sony having this magenta issue. What ever happened there? Thinking the cameras in question may share the same sensor, so Is this an issue with the software and RAW processing from a certain flavor of Sony sensor? But why would changing the exif change it other than the RAW editors handle the information differently when they know to do so based on the camera profile?
08-07-2018, 11:55 PM - 4 Likes   #21
New Member




Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 18
I'm probably going to get creamed for even thinking in these terms, but with so many vague conclusions I begin to wonder if allot of the objective thinking isn't rationally influenced under the color of subjectivism...

So much for vagaries.

As for my truth? I simply couldn't be happier with my mark ii, and that is a FACT.

Cheers
08-08-2018, 01:12 AM   #22
Pentaxian
MJKoski's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,245
QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Nikon and Sony having this magenta issue
AFAIK they do not have any magenta issues. I have owned D800E, D810 and A7r1 which all use the 36MP chip and no issues with current Adobe converters or Capture One. Or RawTherapee (which had a bug BTW when handling black level which caused magenta cast with D810). It does not require very long exposure to get the cast with MK2 - I posted two examples with ~2 second ISO 100 exposures in SirTomster's thread.
08-08-2018, 02:27 AM   #23
Pentaxian
Andrea K's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Rome, Italy
Posts: 390
Original Poster
I'm asking myself what is the purpose to take a shot and then push it +5ev. However I can't see magenta cast in 2'' ISO 100 pushed at +3ev (DCU max). I tried also with Camera Raw, same +3ev, no magenta cast at all.....
ISO 100 - 2'' - +3ev in DCU


ISO 100 - 2'' - +3ev in CR


I compared with ISO 200 pictures, same 2''... same result....

08-08-2018, 02:58 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Gladys, Virginia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 18,944
QuoteOriginally posted by Andrea K Quote
I'm asking myself what is the purpose to take a shot and then push it +5ev. However I can't see magenta cast in 2'' ISO 100 pushed at +3ev (DCU max). I tried also with Camera Raw, same +3ev, no magenta cast at all.....
ISO 100 - 2'' - +3ev in DCU


ISO 100 - 2'' - +3ev in CR


I compared with ISO 200 pictures, same 2''... same result....
I have been told that this is something that pops up on really long exposures and pushing to the extremes and then looking in the shadows. But I too have not seen this is normal shooting.

This is an iso 100 shot with a 15 second exposure, first the regular shot then one pushed five stops (which I would never do in normal post processing).





It isn't that people are telling untruths, it is that they are doing strange things to their images and pushing them to the extreme and then odd things are happening. For most users who shoot iso 100 and push a stop or two, nothing is going to happen. I don't do much astro photography and this seems to be where this is most visible from what folks have posted. So maybe if you do a lot of astro, you are better off going with the MK I original. Otherwise for about everything else, the Mark II is better from my standpoint.

I agree with the rest of your points, although I haven't found dynamic pixel shift very helpful. I shoot RAW and the only way I can use it is to develop it in camera to a TIFF file and then to post process that. Even Pentax's DCU doesn't do anything with the dynamic pixel shift RAW images except use the first image. If you shoot jpegs then it is probably more helpful.
08-08-2018, 03:22 AM   #25
Pentaxian
MJKoski's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,245
How do you explain this: Mark I vs Mark II ISO Comparison Plus Files - Page 3 - PentaxForums.com

Nothing special done except exposure push. All my ISO100 exposures look like that when pushed beyond 4EV. Trying to adjust tint to get rid of the magenta results in very weird looking images. Are there again some uncalibrated sensors or similar issues in some models while others are good?
08-08-2018, 03:42 AM   #26
Pentaxian
Andrea K's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Rome, Italy
Posts: 390
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
How do you explain this: Mark I vs Mark II ISO Comparison Plus Files - Page 3 - PentaxForums.com

Nothing special done except exposure push. All my ISO100 exposures look like that when pushed beyond 4EV. Trying to adjust tint to get rid of the magenta results in very weird looking images. Are there again some uncalibrated sensors or similar issues in some models while others are good?
Ehm I think that you have to start from a "gray" tone picture.
08-08-2018, 04:37 AM   #27
Pentaxian
MJKoski's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,245
I just wrote that the same cast is present in all ISO100 exposures when pushed. This again suggests that RAW conversion fails or ISO100 is not the real base ISO of MK2 but something higher. Have to do ISO100 vs 200 comparison using multiexposure averaging which allows huge boosting of moderately high ISO value images. It will not remove the cast but shows it very clearly.
08-09-2018, 07:09 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Rochester, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,163
I have both the K1 and the K1-II. Based upon my experience, My K1-II performs as advertised. AF is a little better and the shutter shock that my K1 experiences is a non issue on my K1-II.


As far as magenta tint goes, here are two photos from My K1 I took at an air show in July of 2017. Both shot at ISO 400. The only difference is shutter speed in photo #1 is at 1/250 sec. Shutter speed in number 2 is at 1/500. These were post processed in PDCU. Enjoy.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 

Last edited by gaweidert; 08-09-2018 at 01:41 PM.
08-09-2018, 08:02 AM   #29
Pentaxian
Andrea K's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Rome, Italy
Posts: 390
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
I have both the K1 and the K1-II. Based upon my experience, My K1-II performs as advertised. AF is a little better and the shutter shock that my K1 experiences is a non issue on my K1-II.
I had forgotten to write it, I too no more shutter shock with Mark II.
08-09-2018, 10:21 AM   #30
Senior Member
rodaballo's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 126
QuoteOriginally posted by Andrea K Quote
I had forgotten to write it, I too no more shutter shock with Mark II.
Please, could you develop this issue? Was your K-1 giving shutter shock with lenses other than the DFA 28-105? Has shutter shock disappeared on K-1 II under the same lens and conditions? This is strange, as apparently the shutter mechanism remains unchanged between K-1 and K-1 II. Would this mean that shutter shock can be avoided by software?
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
af, bit, camera, dslr, frame, full frame, full-frame, ii, impressions, k-1, k-1 ii impressions, k1, multiexposure, noise, pentax k-1, shock, shutter, shutter shock, tricks, user real world, world impressions
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K-1 II AF-C Real World Report MightyMike Pentax K-1 20 06-06-2018 11:10 AM
KS2 User 1 and User 2: Unique Display Color Selection Won't Save in Each User Mode. chimpit! Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 2 06-07-2017 08:10 PM
Hello folks, old GR user and 645 user - new GRV user and 645Z user, coming fr Leica. bilbrown Welcomes and Introductions 3 02-28-2016 03:59 AM
The Pentax Q - a real World user review pinholecam Pentax Q 71 01-12-2013 06:40 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:19 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top