Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
08-04-2018, 05:04 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

shake reduction - unable to switch on

Hi dear fellow Pentaxians,

I'm unable to switch on the shake reduction on a K-1 - either via the dial on top of the body or in the menu. I've gone through the operating manual and the e-book and looked on the web- all to no avail. I must be missing something. The lens is a fully manual Tamron SP 200-500.

Any ideas?

Regards,
Carl.

08-04-2018, 05:23 AM - 1 Like   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Make sure the drive mode is not set to remote or self timer (SR will be off in those modes), or that you're not in live view with electronic shutter enabled.
08-04-2018, 06:32 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
or pixel shift
08-04-2018, 07:44 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Been there and done that. My nemesis is electronic shutter and and self timer, then i stand around scratching my head until I have the Epiphany moment.

08-04-2018, 08:57 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Hopefully Ricoh/Pentax will someday add functionality to overcome this obstacle. Rather than simply greying out the
menu item with no explanation, a couple of smart overrides could be built into the system:

1. Press greyed out menu option, (eg., Shake Reduction), system displays message, (eg., "SR disabled with Self Timer Active"), etc.
OR
2. Press greyed out menu option, (eg., SR), system prompts user, (eg., "Disable Self Timer to engage SR Y/N?"), etc.
08-04-2018, 02:41 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
Hopefully Ricoh/Pentax will someday add functionality to overcome this obstacle. Rather than simply greying out the
menu item with no explanation,
As far as timer/remote the K1 has always had the option to enable/disable SR on timer/remote. Just need to read the manual.

As far as pixel shift (not DPS) is concerned you cannot enable SR. Anyone who would want to would be foolish.
08-04-2018, 10:11 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

you also need to manually enter the desirable focal length

08-05-2018, 02:45 AM - 1 Like   #8

^ have you entered the focal length? It needs to know to apply the correct amount of SR
08-05-2018, 09:29 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
As far as timer/remote the K1 has always had the option to enable/disable SR on timer/remote. Just need to read the manual.
I've tried repeatedly to use the wireless remote with the SR turned on and have never succeeded. I've also read the manual repeatedly. Please enlighten me and tell me where I can find this secret.
08-05-2018, 11:11 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I wonder if you are switching on remote from the top button menu on the rear dial. If you select remote there the shake reduction will be turned off. However, if you just plug the wired remote into the plug it will function without turning off the shake reduction. No idea why it works this way. As far as I can see this is not explainned in the manual. I just checked this with the K-1ii.
08-05-2018, 12:50 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dave2k Quote
I've tried repeatedly to use the wireless remote with the SR turned on and have never succeeded. I've also read the manual repeatedly. Please enlighten me and tell me where I can find this secret.
page 56

---------- Post added 08-05-18 at 08:55 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
I wonder if you are switching on remote from the top button menu on the rear dial. If you select remote there the shake reduction will be turned off. However, if you just plug the wired remote into the plug it will function without turning off the shake reduction. No idea why it works this way. As far as I can see this is not explainned in the manual. I just checked this with the K-1ii.
He is using the Pentax wireless remote. If he changes the default setting in C3/21 "Auto SR off" he will still have SR when using the remote. I don't understand why this would be appropriate however, as I assume the camera would be on a tripod at this time.

Last edited by pschlute; 08-05-2018 at 12:56 PM.
08-05-2018, 01:32 PM - 4 Likes   #12
Veteran Member

page 56
Thank you! Much appreciated! This setting will definitely help me with my remote-controlled slow exposures from a moving car!

08-05-2018, 01:37 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

page 56

---------- Post added 08-05-18 at 08:55 PM ----------

He is using the Pentax wireless remote. If he changes the default setting in C3/21 "Auto SR off" he will still have SR when using the remote. I don't understand why this would be appropriate however, as I assume the camera would be on a tripod at this time.
I am also puzzled that he wants to do this.
08-05-2018, 01:37 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ok. I just saw his example photo. guess that is a use.
08-05-2018, 03:41 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dave2k Quote
Thank you! Much appreciated! This setting will definitely help me with my remote-controlled slow exposures from a moving car!
Cool picture !!