Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
08-04-2018, 10:52 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does Adobe Software Support K-1 II "Handheld Pixel Shift" Photos?

The last I read, Adobe PS and Lightroom would not fully process "handheld pixel shift" RAW files taken with the K-1 II camera. Is that still the case? If so, what software do you K-1 II owners use to process your "handheld pixel shift" RAW files?

I am considering upgrading my K-1 to get "handheld pixel shift". But if there's no software that can process handheld pixel shift DNG RAW files, I don't see the point in upgrading, as none of the other upgrade features are important to me.

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 08-04-2018 at 11:21 AM.
08-04-2018, 11:51 AM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I could be wrong, but I don't think there's any software that supports it right now. Your only option is the out-of-camera JPEG file.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-04-2018, 12:00 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Even the last update April 2018 of Digital camera utility 5 there is a note in very small print that basically says it does not support handheld pixel shift.
08-04-2018, 01:55 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
One can create a handheld RAW DNG image with "Pixel Shift Resolution: Image Stabilization On", then use the camera's built-in image development utility to save it as a TIFF file to your SD card. In turn, that image can be imported into LR for further refinement.

Keep in mind the OOC file sizes are GIANT.

Most of my K-1 MkII RAW DNG files range in size from about 46,000KB to 56,000KB depending on the subject. To learn more, I did a 'quick and dirty' PSR:IS=ON test using a mundane subject. Its original RAW DNG image file landed at about 158,000KB. When converted to a TIFF in the camera, it settled at about 106,000KB. The TIFF file opened OK in LR and was easy to fine tune. Was its IQ better than a "normal" RAW DNG with SR? It looked pretty good to me, but what do I know... you'll need to decide that on your own after you trying it for yourself.

Cheers... M

Thanks to all of you for your responses.

While it's nice to know that one can get a TIFF out of the camera, a TIFF still does not cut it with me.

If no third party software has this capability, wouldn't you think that Pentax/Ricoh should develop the software themselves (or at least commission a software company to develolpe it for them)?

What's the sense of having an exciting new camera capability if there's no software available to process it??? Sort of like buying a fancy new car that runs on a special type of fuel that's not available.

08-04-2018, 02:17 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Right now since it pretty much new, no one has support for it yet.
The usual suspects of having support for it in a few months will be Raw Therapee, Darktable, Silkypix & Pentax's DCU
08-04-2018, 02:23 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by disconnekt Quote
Right now since it pretty much new, no one has support for it yet.
The usual suspects of having support for it in a few months will be Raw Therapee, Darktable, Silkypix & Pentax's DCU
Thanks..

But I guess that I'm not willing to invest $550 for the upgrade with knowing for certain that support will be coming in the near future.
08-04-2018, 03:41 PM - 1 Like   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
What's the sense of having an exciting new camera capability if there's no software available to process it??? Sort of like buying a fancy new car that runs on a special type of fuel that's not available.
Could be a question of patents. If they own the tech, software devs would have to pay to license it, and they probably aren't eager to do that for something that's currently in very limited use.

While I fully agree that DCU should support processing of such files, this really wouldn't let you do any more than what you could do in-camera.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: