Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
08-07-2018, 04:19 AM   #1

Best resources to master the Pentax k-1 in detail out there?

I own the K-1 for over a year now.
I would like to see myself as a advanced photographer and can produce great results with the K-1.
But i also feel like i haven't used half of it's potential yet. Maybe it's because i don't need it but more likely because i don't know all of it's possibilities.
On the forum i read stuff i didn''t know of before so the forum is a good start.
I gues what i miss is a single resource, beeing book or website, where i can read about the hidden secrets of the K-1 aswell as all tips and tricks on how to get the most out of the K-1.
Bits and peaces are scattered all over the internet but i can't find a single resource that covers it all.

So does anyone have suggestions on the matter.
Would appreciate it very much, thanks!

08-07-2018, 05:03 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Im not affiliated with the seller, but this would be a good start. E-book marketplace listiInstantly download your Pentax eBook! (K-1, K-70,K-3, K-5, K-50, K-S2 and more DSLRs) - PentaxForums.comng
08-07-2018, 05:48 AM - 4 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The biggest secret is to master composition, lighting and control of exposure. Basic photography stuff. The old saying if your photos are boring, you’re standing too far away.
08-07-2018, 06:29 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Take some photos. Post them here. Invite honest constructive critique. Be receptive to that critique. Change accordingly. Repeat.

08-07-2018, 06:44 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The e-book is a good start, it helps in conjunction with the manual. Sadly there are no other alternatives.
08-07-2018, 09:54 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As a last resort, you can always read the manual. I don't think there are any magic tricks involved, just practice.
08-07-2018, 11:04 AM   #7
Pentaxian

A secret you won't find in any book is the set the ISO change to the "Slow setting" and activate SR. This way, you'll get one stop more S/N vs default factory setting. Sounds simple, but it works...

08-07-2018, 02:06 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
The biggest secret is to master composition, lighting and control of exposure. Basic photography stuff. The old saying if your photos are boring, you’re standing too far away.
I couldn't agree more, bat nevertheless.
08-07-2018, 09:41 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Regarding specific features of the K-1, the user manual that comes with it is pretty good. I'd go through that start to finish. Additionally, I'd recommend Yvon Bourque's ebooks (I've purchased them for every camera I've had since I bought my first K20d ten years ago). And of course the forum here is a great resource. You can search the K-1 threads for tons of information, setting recommendations, etc. And of course ask questions and always get useful replies.

As for becoming a better photographer, I that has less to do with gear and more to do with techniques that work for you. Other's above have already commented, and I agree, learn the basics. There are many great books available if you're a book person. As a photography primer, I'm a big fan of Brian Peterson's Understanding Exposure. It's short, very clear (even I could follow it, ha!), has excellent examples, and is easy to follow. Additionally, there are thousands of free YouTube videos available online, and thousand more pay courses available. A lot of it has to do with what kind of photography you're interested in.

And lastly, as jlstrawman stated -
QuoteOriginally posted by jlstrawman Quote
I don't think there are any magic tricks involved, just practice.
Getting out, chasing light, and practicing everyday will make you a better photographer. You'll only get better by doing. And you'll learn what works for you. At least until you decide it doesn't and you'll be raising your personal bar again.
08-23-2018, 04:58 AM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. Not all of them were relevant to me and or were answers to my question but thanks anyway. Don't know how to put a lock on this thread but to me it's closed. Thanks again.