Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
08-20-2018, 10:11 AM   #1

Pentax k-1 hot shoe question

So today I took off the hot-shoe cover off of my brand new K-1 and noticed that one of the 4 connectors (silver dots?) is missing!! Is this a defective hot shoe -or- is this how all K-1's are? Can anyone please check their K-1 and let me know?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Pixel 2 XL  Photo 
08-20-2018, 10:19 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

I think it is normal, it also missing on my K3

QuoteOriginally posted by singh2005 Quote
So today I took off the hot-shoe cover off of my brand new K-1 and noticed that one of the 4 connectors (silver dots?) is missing!! Is this a defective hot shoe -or- is this how all K-1's are? Can anyone please check their K-1 and let me know?
08-20-2018, 10:21 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lotech Quote
I think it is normal, it also missing on my K3
Thank you lotech
08-20-2018, 10:21 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
This is normal

08-20-2018, 10:34 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

But my problem is missing the whole K1 haha you enjoy !
08-20-2018, 10:55 AM   #6

It's fine. Originally there were just two connections on a camera's hot shoe. One is that big one in the middle and the other one is the single piece of metal that forms those flanges or lips on each side, that hold the flashgun in. If you look at almost any flashgun foot you'll see the corresponding sprung contacts. The other three contacts on the Pentax enable the camera and flash to talk to each other.

That little hole that looks like it should hold another contact is for a locking pin, so your flashgun doesn't accidentally slide out of the shoe. My K20D, a 2008 design, is just the same as your K1.

You can see the foot of a Pentax flashgun here. In this example you can see four sprung contacts and the end of the locking pin in an insulated (plastic) bit, and a sturdy metal flange surrounding that which is your fifth contact:
Pentax AF360FGZ II Flash Review - Construction and Handling | PentaxForums.com Reviews
08-20-2018, 11:29 AM   #7
Pentaxian

On a side note, if I remember right, flash gun designed for the K5 (or K7, K20D ?) does not work properly on the K3 I believe K1 as well, the flash will auto fire non stop once the camera turned on, I got a 3rd party flash just like that, I don't know how older Pentax flash performs on new camera.

08-20-2018, 11:44 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Robot camera Quote
It's fine. Originally there were just two connections on a camera's hot shoe. One is that big one in the middle and the other one is the single piece of metal that forms those flanges or lips on each side, that hold the flashgun in. If you look at almost any flashgun foot you'll see the corresponding sprung contacts. The other three contacts on the Pentax enable the camera and flash to talk to each other.

That little hole that looks like it should hold another contact is for a locking pin, so your flashgun doesn't accidentally slide out of the shoe. My K20D, a 2008 design, is just the same as your K1.

You can see the foot of a Pentax flashgun here. In this example you can see four sprung contacts and the end of the locking pin in an insulated (plastic) bit, and a sturdy metal flange surrounding that which is your fifth contact:
Pentax AF360FGZ II Flash Review - Construction and Handling | PentaxForums.com Reviews
Yeah, the empty area is for locking a flash onto the shoe.
08-20-2018, 12:33 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax uses only 3 electrical points outside of the center one. So you are fine. Here is Pentax TTL flash's hot shoe for your reference,
That seemingly empty hole on Pentax bodies is a recess hole to let a small metal pin engage into the camera hot shoe when the flash lever is closed to prevent accidental sliding out of the hot shoe mounted flash.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D200  Photo 

Last edited by shardulm; 08-20-2018 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Additional Info added.
08-21-2018, 07:34 AM - 1 Like   #10

Original Poster
Thank you all! I love Pentax-forums