Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
08-28-2018, 10:18 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Image sync?

edit: looks to be a Pixel / Android Pie issue

I tried a few times to use image sync this weekend, but no matter what I tried, it either wouldn't connect or wouldn't show me liveview on the phone. I was using basic Av mode; No special options. I connected to the camera via wifi options (it says connected with no internet access). Open the app and choose the bottom right icon to take a photo. It would say, not connected to the camera. Or the 2 times I did the same exact thing, and it did connect, it would not show me liveview on the phone.

When I try to open the app without connecting wifi to the camera, it just crashes right away. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the app on my phone but its still crashing. If I connect the wifi to the camera first, it will open. but still no liveview

Why is this app such crap? Has anyone made an alternative that can shoot remotely with liveview?

Last edited by enoeske; 08-29-2018 at 09:00 AM.
08-28-2018, 11:18 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Image sync should work fine. What device are you using, and have you applied the latest updates?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-28-2018, 11:23 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you have access to a Windows system then try http://www.wificommanderpentax.com/
08-28-2018, 11:27 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Image sync should work fine. What device are you using, and have you applied the latest updates?
I have a Google Pixel on the new Android Pie -- definitely not working correctly. I have used it quite a bit in the past, but its never been a smooth process.

08-28-2018, 12:00 PM   #5

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
I have a Google Pixel on the new Android Pie -- definitely not working correctly. I have used it quite a bit in the past, but its never been a smooth process.
Same phone and OS but ImageSync won't even start, it just crashes saying "ImageSync keeps stopping". This app could certainly use some love.
08-28-2018, 12:00 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

That would probably explain it. I don't think there have been any updates to support Pie yet. I would recommend reporting this to Ricoh so they can get the ball rolling.

Market share wise most Android devices are still running 5.1, 6, or 7, so I'm guessing 8 and 9 have seen very limited testing.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-28-2018, 12:38 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
...I would recommend reporting this to Ricoh...
What method would be best for this?

08-28-2018, 12:40 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

What method would be best for this?
I'd say customer service. Seems like there are plenty of negative reviews about the app in the app stores that aren't getting too much attention.

Adam

08-29-2018, 08:44 AM   #9

Yeah my Pixel with Pie also crashes constantly. It does not surprise me with the API changes.
08-29-2018, 01:55 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Did you try the new 2.0 version?
Major Image Sync app update in July - PentaxForums.com
08-29-2018, 02:12 PM   #11

Funny thing just happened - I went into to check my version and it showed up as an available update! Will see what happens tonight.
08-29-2018, 02:32 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
Doesn't connect to the camera -- doesn't seem to be an option to skip entering the password everytime either.
08-29-2018, 03:18 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Doesn't connect to the camera -- doesn't seem to be an option to skip entering the password everytime either.
You have to enter and save the password once. Then you don't have to enter it anymore.
08-29-2018, 03:29 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
You have to enter and save the password once. Then you don't have to enter it anymore.
It won't connect, so it won't save. My wifi is already connected to the camera but the app won't connect.
12-01-2018, 02:19 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Reviving a somewhat old thread. My Samsung Galaxy Note 8 running Android 8 also does not connect. The phone recognized and connects with the camera wifi but the app does not connect. Anyone have success with this combo? Neither the phone nor the Android version are that new.