Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2018, 07:37 AM   #1

last month to upgrade

So, I still haven't upgraded my K1. Have any folks that upgraded regretted it? I know about the focusing benefits, and the slight detail loss at higher iso (to me it looks so slight to be a non issue). I'm slightly more concerned about the reported purple cast when raising shadows a lot (I occasionally do that). Thoughts and advice? I'm leaning towards upgrading, but could just as easily save the $550 for a lens.

08-31-2018, 08:47 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnkrumm Quote
I'm slightly more concerned about the reported purple cast when raising shadows a lot (I occasionally do that).
I'm where you are and share this concern, however, I downloaded the sample back yard images Sir Tomster posted, and I did not get the purple cast when I pushed them. It also has been reported that if you change the exif to report it's a K-1 instead of a K-1 II, the purple cast issue goes away. The combinartion of not seeing it myself on what Sir Tomster posted and the reports of tweaking the exif make me think it won't be an issue. I also have to think that if it's really there, we'll get a firmware or other update. That's of course just a WAG on my part. And I can't explain why I didn't see the cast on my setup, as I've seen the cast on other samples people posted, but I can't account for how the images were processed and differences in software configurations. I have the newest version of Adobe Camera Raw and Lightroom 6.14, and I've copied the profiles from ACR to update my Lr so the sample files are showing as K-1 II when I do this. Hope that makes some sense.
08-31-2018, 10:07 AM   #3

Precision might not have the parts in stock. Something also to consider.
08-31-2018, 10:39 AM   #4

Original Poster
It says on the website to just fill out the form and they will notify when they are ready, so I'm guessing there is a line.

08-31-2018, 11:46 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Still debating as well. Mostly because I still shudder at the thought of letting Precision touch my camera. But by all reports they have improved so I guess I need to get over that.
08-31-2018, 11:59 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I think this is a complete non-issue as long as you can bare not having use of the camera. I can't see a scenario where you filled out the paperwork, sent it in, and they ran out of parts and refused to do the upgrade. That would just be a PR disaster and why do it? Ricoh must make something off the upgrade, so they'll find a way to make more boards and get them to Precision. It's just going to be about the wait.
08-31-2018, 12:02 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Still debating as well. Mostly because I still shudder at the thought of letting Precision touch my camera. But by all reports they have improved so I guess I need to get over that.
I've had 3 lenses repaired by them in the past two years. One was under warranty (16-85), and the other two were long out (DA 14 and 60-250). All of them worked out fine. I will say in full disclosure the 60-250 did make a trip back to them and ended up going to Japan, but that lens was a basket case, and in the end, it came back fully rebuilt (from reading the parts/description list). I think they even put a new SDM motor in it, even though that part seemed OK. So, I'd not worry about Precision. I think they have improved.

08-31-2018, 12:27 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I haven't heard too much chatter, neither positive or negative, from those who've had it their K-1's upgraded. I'd be curious to hear from them regarding their experience and recommendations in regards to improvments, or issues, before making any decisions. My current druthers is to "suffer" through with my K-1. Besides I too keep my funds handy, as have a LBA habit that has to be supported
08-31-2018, 01:23 PM   #9
Veteran Member

One would hope they will extend the time as they keep running out of system boards to replace.

But time will tell.

---------- Post added 08-31-18 at 02:25 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
I'm where you are and share this concern, however, I downloaded the sample back yard images Sir Tomster posted, and I did not get the purple cast when I pushed them. It also has been reported that if you change the exif to report it's a K-1 instead of a K-1 II, the purple cast issue goes away. The combinartion of not seeing it myself on what Sir Tomster posted and the reports of tweaking the exif make me think it won't be an issue. I also have to think that if it's really there, we'll get a firmware or other update. That's of course just a WAG on my part. And I can't explain why I didn't see the cast on my setup, as I've seen the cast on other samples people posted, but I can't account for how the images were processed and differences in software configurations. I have the newest version of Adobe Camera Raw and Lightroom 6.14, and I've copied the profiles from ACR to update my Lr so the sample files are showing as K-1 II when I do this. Hope that makes some sense.
I am curious what program you pushed them in? Because I have seen it.

I think in the same thread, I posted images that showed it.

I also saw it in Raw Therapee when I used the files, so not an Adobe only issue.
08-31-2018, 02:17 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I just got off the phone with them, they have the boards and my camera has been supposedly in the hands of a tech since Wednesday. But the person making the inquiry for me is off and the one working today can't find out until Tuesday when they will ship mine back to me. I'm just going to have to suffer thru with my K20D until then
08-31-2018, 04:08 PM   #11
Pentaxian

On this subject - after a month, I'm still waiting for the (Hamburg-located) service unit to tell me to send the camera in. Highly inconvenient.
08-31-2018, 04:33 PM   #12
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
On this subject - after a month, I'm still waiting for the (Hamburg-located) service unit to tell me to send the camera in. Highly inconvenient.
Uff. Wouldn't have expected that. I'm still not sure whether or not. I'd do it mainly for the better colour and to a lesser extent for the AF.
08-31-2018, 06:26 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SirTomster Quote
Lightroom 6.14 desktop version that is no longer supported. And I really hesitated to post what I did because it doesn't make sense to me. I just had my girlfriend check out an image from each, and she couldn't tell. I'm looking back through what I've got/done trying to figure out some explanation. I certainly agree others have posted samples that, and if it weren't for the fact I have seen it in those samples, I would think I'm color blind to this hue of red.
08-31-2018, 06:39 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SirTomster Quote
And I also have Adobe DNG Converter 10.4.0.976 installed.
09-01-2018, 07:06 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

I got mine done in Canada and have been impressed with the autofocus improvements. No issues with magenta cast. Typically that is a software issue post, where it mishandles out of range values.

They did a very nice job on the CLA which always in my experience makes the body feel like new. Kudos to Sun Camera. They turned it around in two weeks including shipping across the country both ways, and everything feels new. Previously I would feel shutter shock in my hand at some shutter speeds and it seems to be less.

There are lots of things that are different is subtle ways, and may be a false impression. The metering is different in some way, and I haven't quite nailed it down yet. The SR is different, seems better to the point of not noticing it at all, especially when tripod mounted. I thought I made a stupid mistake throwing away a great shooting opportunity when the shutter speed was 1/400. I was on monopod shooting a shorebird. There were a few where the bird movement was blurry, but the majority were very good. I don't credit my technique.

I feel that I'm not fighting limitations of the body to get results. That definitely was the case with the K1 autofocus and the 150-450 + K1 shutter induced vibrations. As I shoot through the full cycle of the seasons and lighting conditions I will find the limits.

As for IQ I have notched the high iso limit up to 12800. It seems the workable limit is higher. I didn't get many good ones at 6400, with some notable exceptions. I suspect it will be the same at the higher level. I find when I get a new body that I have to rework all my post processing assumptions and baselines, which takes a bit of time as the full range of images come through. So far my impression is that there are more details and images at high iso that can be worked with. There is noise, it's characteristics are different, the correction levels that I applied to the K1 are too aggressive. I have images which have enough detail in the subject where a skilled (which I have yet to develop) application of soft smoothing to the background to get rid of the graininess would end with a nice photo. The noise presets for the K1 Mark II in Darktable aren't done yet. I have experienced quite a few situation where the application of presets and moderate noise reduction makes the image worse.

Something of note. In both full frame and crop mode, if I start shooting multiple exposures, then hit the AF button, af-c, the speed of the recycle doesn't change. They have done enormous work on the autofocus logic, and no doubt the additional processor helps.