Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 24 Likes Search this Thread
09-06-2018, 07:31 PM   #1

Is it just me or are there a lot of K-1's on the used market?

Wonder if they know something.

09-06-2018, 07:41 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I know that my K1 is an amazing camera and I have no plans on selling it.
09-06-2018, 07:48 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I know that my K1 is an amazing camera and I have no plans on selling it.
I have no intention of selling mine either but I see veteran members offloading theirs and that makes me wonder.
09-06-2018, 07:54 PM - 3 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by funkythiru Quote
Where are you seeing a lot of used K1's on the market? I see a couple at BHphotovideo and one at KEH, but then they also have at least a dozen or more Canon and Nikon FF DSLRs too. Now that Canikony are in full battle rage over mirrorless, I suspect a bunch of DSLR users will switch to the latest trendy system and will unload their DSLRs to help pay for the switch.

Wonder if those who unloaded their K1's know something? Yes, they got a special message from Ricoh that read: "Full frame DSLRs are doomed. Pentax is doomed. Sell now."

09-06-2018, 08:01 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
PentaxIsDooomed™!!!
09-06-2018, 08:10 PM - 1 Like   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
PentaxIsDooomed™!!!
I want that T shirt
09-06-2018, 08:15 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's the most popular camera among our users, currently. Makes sense!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-06-2018, 08:17 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It's the most popular camera among our users, currently. Makes sense!
So churn is to be expected?
09-06-2018, 08:29 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I dont see a lot of k1 second hand, but i do see attractive discounts on the k1 new. I've see k1 for sale at 1400 here (new) where introduction price was 2100. Anyway, i ve asked for a part exchange my k1 would sell 800 used so i keep it and use it..
09-06-2018, 08:31 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

They know that they had other priorities than their K-1.

I did notice a few on the marketplace, nothing extraordinary. New cameras from other companies so not unusual for switchers to sell now. I suspect eBay and other spots have even more Canon and Nikon DSLRs for sale.

I know a habitually unwise camera shopper, each time blaming the camera for things he could have easily found before buying. He had a Nikon D7200, upgraded to D810 for larger sensor, sold D810 because it was too heavy, bought D850, whined that D850 was just as heavy as D810. Sold D850 and now complaining that his Sony couldn't get a good photo of the sun through fully overcast skies, lol.
09-06-2018, 08:36 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Pentaxian

So churn is to be expected?
K1 price took a hit after k1 ii was released to market and also in comparison with d850. With mirrorless coming, my guess is k1 is perceived as old fashionned. But the reality is , k1 is really cheap for it can do. I may buy a second k1 body.
09-06-2018, 08:47 PM - 4 Likes   #12

It's you. Since May 1, 2018 on the marketplace

mk2 - no reason given
mk1 - work demands canon and can't maintain two systems
silver ltd - one too many cameras, not being used (has mk2 and K-3 mk2)
mk1 - bought mk2
mk1 - bought mk2
mk1 - needs changed, selling Pentax gear
mk1 - selling to buy 645z
mk1 - FF not really needed for line of work
mk2 - didn't like accelerator unit, bought mk1
mk1 - no reason given
mk1 - sales pending, no reason given
mk2 - shoulder arm injuries, reduce weight load

So 12 in slightly over four months and of these 2 or 3 jumping from Pentax. One of those probably would have preferred to stay with Pentax.

Seems like we had this same discussion sometime last year. Looking back through the market place to the same number of months from the release date the number of K-1 for sale didn't seem any higher than any of the other models, e.g. say the K-3 one year after release vs K-1 at one year).
09-06-2018, 09:18 PM   #13

Original Poster
Lets see if Panny FF causes a stir here in PF.
Perhaps it's just me seeing a trend that's not there...
09-06-2018, 09:32 PM   #14
Pentaxian

The reasons for selling arent always true. Some people will give a good reason in order not to trigger bad emotions of the prospective buyer. IMO, most sellers not upgrading with a Pentax option are mostly switching to another system, and most of the time the reasons for switching are emotional as opposed to true things that can't be done with a Pentax system, often it is lack of confidence in Pentax brand that is the background reason for switching. For example if I have shoulder pain is the solution to sell the k1 ( to fund the purchase of a mirrorless camera) or is it to go to a physician to get the shoulder pain treated?

Last edited by biz-engineer; 09-06-2018 at 09:38 PM.
09-06-2018, 09:35 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lets see if Panny FF causes a stir here in PF.
Perhaps it's just me seeing a trend that's not there...
Perhaps it is just you.

Unless a person has a lot of money and a high need for novelty, most serious photographers don't purchase gear unless the old stuff is worn out or the new does a better job at an essential task. Unless the Panasonic is better overall at still photography than the its mirrorless competition, it is unlikely to gain the attention of K-1 owners that chose their camera over Sony product.

Steve

(...did Panasonic confirm the recent rumors as true? Just checked...apparently not... )