Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2018, 08:51 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Rotational play in K1-2 mount

Do you guys have some rotational play in your mounts, especially when large lenses are mounted? I've got a little, perhaps a degree in either direction and is most noticeable when I have the Pentax 70-200 hanging off the end of it. It doesn't pose a problem currently but I wonder if it'll just get worse over time as the index pin wears from use?

09-08-2018, 09:03 AM   #2

There's a little play on my 12 year old K10D that varies depending on the lens. The worst is probably about a degree either way. Some are as "snug as a bug in a rug". If the pin on my K10D after 12 years of a lot of use isn't any worse for the wear I don't think you have much to worry about with your K-1 mk2.
09-08-2018, 11:55 AM   #3

I tried it on k100/k10/k3/k1ii a7r/samsung nx300 and there is a really small cw/ccw movement on all of them.
09-08-2018, 12:56 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks to all for your replies. I guess some mounts are just tighter than others; probably due to tolerance stacking.

09-08-2018, 01:21 PM   #5
Forum Member

I just went through all my lenses and checked the AF fine adjustment on each and did notice a very small bit of play in the big 70-200 on the K-1 Mark II.. and wondered. Thanks for posting.
09-08-2018, 03:41 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You mean the lens rotating relative to the mounting flange, not the mounting flange moving relative to the body, correct? Assuming it's lens rotation, you're just seeing the variances in the size of the locking hole/slot on the lenses versus the locking pin on the camera body. Something like this is never going to be 100% tight and doesn't have an practical affect on performance.
09-08-2018, 04:37 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I've noticed similar with my Sigma 50-500. Large lenses require a firm grip with the left hand, so as your right hand moves slightly our of sync the connection twists. It's normal. It's much less noticeable with small lenses because you aren't applying as much strength to hold the camera and lens.

09-08-2018, 06:15 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
You mean the lens rotating relative to the mounting flange, not the mounting flange moving relative to the body, correct? Assuming it's lens rotation, you're just seeing the variances in the size of the locking hole/slot on the lenses versus the locking pin on the camera body. Something like this is never going to be 100% tight and doesn't have an practical affect on performance.
Yes, lens rotating relative to the mounting flange and not the flange to the body. I assumed it was due to manufacturing tolerance stacking, and by the responses received, appears to be the case.

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
I've noticed similar with my Sigma 50-500. Large lenses require a firm grip with the left hand, so as your right hand moves slightly our of sync the connection twists. It's normal. It's much less noticeable with small lenses because you aren't applying as much strength to hold the camera and lens.
Agreed; the larger and heavier the lens, any rotational play in the mount/lens combination gets exacerbated.

I initially posted this question because my previous FF body (Canon 5D) did not have any noticeable movement between lens and mount - even with a relatively heavy 100-400L lens.