Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
09-14-2018, 08:18 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
K-1 Mark II focus peaking colors?

Anyway to change the focus peaking color in LV from white/silver to something with more contrast such as red? Sometimes it's difficult to achieve critical focus, especially when using manual super wide lenses like the 15mm Irix.

09-14-2018, 08:31 AM   #2

What are you trying to focus on? I would advocate not using focus peaking for critical focus... Use live view and zoom in and use your eye.
09-14-2018, 08:39 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by amstel78 Quote
Anyway to change the focus peaking color in LV from white/silver to something with more contrast such as red?
If you turn on 'Highlight Alert' in your LV settings, you will usually see red around the focus peaks.

Sony had the option a long time ago even with NEX to change the peaking colour directly. Not essential to have, but nice.
09-14-2018, 08:45 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dericali Quote
What are you trying to focus on? I would advocate not using focus peaking for critical focus... Use live view and zoom in and use your eye.
I do that. But even still if you have a light colored subject in front of a light colored background, achieving critical focus can be challenging.

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
If you turn on 'Highlight Alert' in your LV settings, you will usually see red around the focus peaks.

Sony had the option a long time ago even with NEX to change the peaking colour directly. Not essential to have, but nice.
I thought, and at least from what I see on screen is that function only shows where highlights are getting blown. I don't think it has anything to do with focus.

09-14-2018, 08:55 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by amstel78 Quote
I don't think it has anything to do with focus.
Try it with focus peaking. They work OK together.
09-14-2018, 09:18 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Try it with focus peaking. They work OK together.
Guess this why I use a Hoodman loupe and LV on my Irix. It swings from a cord round my neck. I can hold it with one hand against the LCD screen and focus with the other hand works well.
09-14-2018, 09:44 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
I use a Hoodman loupe and LV on my Irix.
Seems a good solution.

Focus peaking is handy if you want/need to quickly see the plane of focus, but LV and zoom is certainly better for critical spot focusing.

One could also use a field monitor (or something like DJI Goggles ) via the camera's HDMI-out to get optimal results out of LV focussing. Or use an app what displays the LV on-screen. Lots of technology options now if you use LV.

09-14-2018, 12:44 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dericali Quote
I would advocate not using focus peaking for critical focus... Use live view and zoom in and use your eye.
I would not generalize this, it depends on your subject: I use it and it helps me to correctly place the plane of focus. It's one thing to focus on a point, but in macro shots it helps me to adjust the angle at which I'm shooting, so that the thin in-focus range e.g. covers the intended body parts on an insect. Being able to change color, or even select to use the complementary color for outlining, would be a huge plus for me. With a sense of DoF, I definitely use it for critical focusing within some tenth of a millimeter in 1:1 handheld shots successfully - often not instead of, but in conjunction with magnified live view.
09-14-2018, 01:26 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Use the focus zoom with focus peaking, it works very well together in my KP.
09-14-2018, 02:41 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wish you could change the color. I can with my Olympus, and having say yellow helps when you've got say a macro subject with bright spots that tend to whitish.
09-14-2018, 02:54 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Oakland Rob Quote
I wish you could change the color. I can with my Olympus, and having say yellow helps when you've got say a macro subject with bright spots that tend to whitish.
Same here. It'd be nice if Ricoh could implement something similar in a firmware update.

My Olympus OMD has peaking in red which I find very useful.

09-14-2018, 04:07 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Choice of focus peaking colors was requested long ago, that's why Ricoh did not do it.
09-14-2018, 04:11 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Choice of focus peaking colors was requested long ago, that's why Ricoh did not do it.
Seriously? Lol...