Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2018, 12:04 AM - 3 Likes   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
PSA: K-1 II Upgrade window ending

I just wanted to remind everyone who's still considering upgrading to the K-1 II that the upgrade service will only be available until the end of September. If you're still on the fence, here are our tests of the K-1 II:

Pentax K-1 II vs K-1 Autofocus Test - Hands-On Tests | PentaxForums.com
K-1 II Dynamic Pixel Shift: First Impressions - Hands-On Tests | PentaxForums.com
Pentax K-1 II vs K-1 Noise Performance - Hands-On Tests | PentaxForums.com

The in-depth review is almost complete, but due to unforeseen circumstances, has been delayed substantially and may not go live until the very end of the month.

Here's the FAQ on obtaining the upgrade service:

Pentax K-1 Upgrade Service Now Available: Guide - Product Updates | PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-20-2018, 09:49 AM   #2
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My question is if it would be worth it for me. I use mine for 80% astrophotography.
09-24-2018, 07:28 AM - 2 Likes   #3
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Ricoh insider Kimio Tanaka posted an interesting comment on his twitter today. He says that during the upgrade process more than the board is exchanged.
"こんなこと言うとまたRICOHからクレームがきそうだけど、K-1アップグレードでは基板交換だけでなく、こっそり一部の部品を交換したり補修したりもやってくれます。むろんカメラの徹底チェックや清掃も。"
Through Google: "Although it seems that complaints come from RICOH, in K-1 upgrade, not only board exchange, but also some parts are secretly exchanged and repaired. Of course, thorough checking and cleaning of the camera is also done."
Twitter
In another post he also claimed that there is a particular benefit in upgrading the camera if you have the new D FA 50mm.
"もし、K-1ユーザーでまだアップグレードしてないなら、ゼッタイにやっておいたほうがいいです。D FA50mmF1.4を使ってるなら、なおさらです。RICOHは内緒にしてるみたいですが、ピント精度がぐんっと向上します。"
Through Google: "If you have not upgraded it as a K-1 user, you should do it for a second hand. If you are using D FA 50 mm f / 1.4, this is especially true. It seems that Ricoh is keeping it secret, but focus precision improves a lot."
Twitter
It's something to consider if you're still considering the upgrade.
09-25-2018, 09:46 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
"It seems that Ricoh is keeping it secret, but focus precision improves a lot."
Yep, that's what companies do when they want to sell new products: They keep the advantages over the older model a secret.

Sorry for the sarcasm, but that statement is just hilarious.

09-25-2018, 11:59 AM   #5
tax

Wow, I never thought that Ricoh will be involved in some kind of Pentax conspiracy :-)

some parts are secretly exchanged and repaired.
Ricoh is keeping it secret, but focus precision improves a lot.
Looks like our Japanese friends are trying employ an ol' good American marketing "conspiracy theory" technique.

The only thing that can be "secretly exchanged and repaired" besides the mainboard may be the AF motor itself.
If Ricoh improved focusing speed by allowing more current flow to the AF motor, I would imagine that another AF motor with different impedance needs to be "secretly" put in place of the old one.

Last edited by tax; 09-25-2018 at 01:07 PM.
09-26-2018, 02:30 PM   #6
Pentaxian

In another post he also claimed that there is a particular benefit in upgrading the camera if you have the new D FA 50mm.
AF check and adjustment is what convinced me to upgrade.
09-27-2018, 10:03 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The English version of that Japanese post is from Google Translate. It's not accurate in all the subtleties of language; he probably was not saying that Ricoh was actually trying to keep it secret.
09-28-2018, 05:18 PM - 1 Like   #8
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
The English version of that Japanese post is from Google Translate. It's not accurate in all the subtleties of language; he probably was not saying that Ricoh was actually trying to keep it secret.
It was late, and I was being lazy so I used Google, but I can actually read it enough. "RICOHは内緒にしてるみたいですが" (Ricoh wa naishou ni shiteru mitai desu ga) means "It looks like Ricoh is keeping it a secret". But Tanaka likes to portray himself as a bit of a maverick, so he often jokes about revealing things that the Ricoh guys don't want him to say, even when speaking on the Ricoh stage at CP+. I wouldn't take that too seriously.

Since this he has also tweeted that Ricoh won't be extending the upgrade window, presumably for Japan but this was not clear.

Another interesting point about the upgrade is that a Ricoh rep speaking to DC Watch on their booth tour video said that it depends on the country, but in some countries 30% of K-1s sold have been upgraded. That sounds like a lot to me.

09-30-2018, 01:37 AM   #9

Bump.

Your last chance, fence sitters, though Canada seems to have been granted an extension.

Snooze, you loose.
09-30-2018, 02:43 PM   #10
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

I went ahead and paid for it so I don't lose out on firmware updates in the future.