Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2018, 03:25 AM   #1
Forum Member

Developing HDR mode on Linux

I am trying to assess whether the various HDR modes are usable as a 'quick and dirty' way of making HDR images. Key question: Am I right in thinking that DCU5 can't replicate the in-camera processing to make an HDR JPEG? One has to use DCU5 to split into 3 raws and then use some other software to combine them? There seem to be some snags doing that on Linux. Luminance HDR 2.5.1 doesn't list K1mk2 as a supported camera and (unsurprisingly) crashes. The command line suite pfstools works fine but then I feel I might as well have done the bracketing myself in the usual way and thus not have an extra step of splitting with DCU5.

09-20-2018, 10:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Not sure what DCU is, but another option is enfuse. You still need to run align-image-stack on the shots, but I have found that works quite well. Enfuse doesn't have tone-mapping and it's just exposure blending, so it looks more natural.

Still, another option I just found out about is that Photomatix is actually available for Linux! There is a free trial of it at Download HDR program Photomatix for Linux and I am in the process of testing it out. If it works really well I will buy it, but we'll see.
09-20-2018, 11:07 AM - 1 Like   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by thepedant Quote
I am trying to assess whether the various HDR modes are usable as a 'quick and dirty' way of making HDR images. Key question: Am I right in thinking that DCU5 can't replicate the in-camera processing to make an HDR JPEG? One has to use DCU5 to split into 3 raws and then use some other software to combine them? There seem to be some snags doing that on Linux. Luminance HDR 2.5.1 doesn't list K1mk2 as a supported camera and (unsurprisingly) crashes. The command line suite pfstools works fine but then I feel I might as well have done the bracketing myself in the usual way and thus not have an extra step of splitting with DCU5.
I guess DCU is Digital Camera Utility. But I don't get what you are trying to do. Am I correct that you think of decomposing HDR image captured by camera when using HDR program? Is that even possible? I never checked that but imho this HDR is jpeg. Not sure if camera records all frames used to make it as raw images but if it does, you can play with them manually.
As for Linux, you can try blending frames in gimp using layers. It does not support raw images itself so you have to use ufraw plugin or convert to jpeg with rawtherapee.
Anyways, nice to hear there is a Linux user among photographers

09-20-2018, 11:23 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by W.G. Quote
nice to hear there is a Linux user among photographers

(puts up hand)

09-20-2018, 12:28 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
And another Linux user here. For stacking, I use Gimp.

I haven’t shot HDR on the K-1, but have you tried the image in Rawtherapee?
09-20-2018, 01:10 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
(puts up hand)
Me too! I do my editing on Windows unfortunately, but hope to transition eventually!
09-20-2018, 04:15 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
(Also Linux user here, editing in dark table)

If you use the built in hdr mode and shoot raw, you can edit it as any other file. It's of course more limiting than stacking then yourself but better than single images. Someone please correct me if in camera hdr only affects jpegs, but afaik the raw file is also stacked.

Hugin is not only for panorama stitching but also for stacking hdr (it can also do both at once, full auto or you can pick and tune most of the parameters). I believe it uses enfuse in the background but it has a nicer interface.

09-20-2018, 09:32 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you are going to try the darktable HDR mode, ensure that your camera is on a tripod since dt does not do any frame alignment in this mode. Enfuse as found in hugin is the HDR go-to for linux users. - Jack
09-21-2018, 01:24 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by automorphism Quote
Not sure what DCU is, but another option is enfuse. <snipped> Still, another option I just found out about is that Photomatix is actually available for Linux! There is a free trial of it at Download HDR program Photomatix for Linux and I am in the process of testing it out. If it works really well I will buy it, but we'll see.
DCU5 is the Ricoh software that comes with the K1mk2. Enfuse is a good suggestion. I have used it before and the results do indeed look natural.

QuoteOriginally posted by W.G. Quote
I guess DCU is Digital Camera Utility. But I don't get what you are trying to do. <snipped>
I just want to develop the HDR mode pictures. I thought and assumed that the software supplied with the camera must surely provide that capability if only I could find the right menu item. But apparently it does not. All that DCU5 can do is to split the file into three raw files.

My conclusion is that the built in HDR modes are a bit of a gimmick that I won't be using very much, but if I do try them, I'll do the developing to JPEG in-camera.

Thanks to all who replied.
09-21-2018, 05:39 AM   #10
Forum Member

I use align_image_stack and Enfuse. It corrects hand-held bracketing very well, if there is not too much changes. Successful HDR looks a lot more same as how I see in high contrast. No camera can do that with a single photo because it requires about 20 EV dynamic range. Top consumer cameras can give ~ 15 EV.

Hopefully Rawtherapee some day offer similar and integrated Enfuse blending with motion correction and auto-align. Rawtherapee actually produce sharper photos from K-1 RAWs than what DCU5 can. There is just some color tint issues with Rawtherapee. I have to correct white balance tint to green quite a bit before it looks right. Maybe it has something to do with UniWB I use and then switch to Daylight or Cloudy, but white balance changes should be lossless in RAW.
09-21-2018, 07:02 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
By the way, in case anyone was considering Photomatix, it does work. It's very easy to use, aligns images, and provides a variety of presets tweakable by sliders. It also has Raw support for many cameras, so that's an advantage over enfuse. The one downside of it is that it has a bunch of options at the beginning (like deghosting) that have to be selected before you actually start working on the image. In this respect I like darktable's HDR merge more, but the biggest disadvantage of darktable is that the image have to be perfectly aligned. That being said, in my one test of it, I didn't quite get the results I liked and I even preferred careful editing of one Raw file over it. Enfuse was pretty good, too.