Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2018, 02:25 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
K1 self-timer AF

This is a very basic question that I can't see answered in the K1 manual or earlier PF threads.

When using the 20 sec self-timer, is it possible to set whether or not AF is performed immediately before the shot is taken? My experience yesterday when I was taking a shot of just myself against a landscape background is that the camera does not autofocus, instead using the focus distance at the time of the original button-push (i.e., the landscape).

By the way, there is a Menu item (C10) to control whether AF is performed with the remote control. I would have thought there would be a similar setting for self-timer.

Last edited by Paul the Sunman; 09-22-2018 at 03:15 PM.
09-22-2018, 06:15 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No, I don't believe the K-1 can be set to perform AF with self timer.

In this situation I would normally focus on something the same distance to where you would be standing and then set to MF. Alternatively if you have a remote then you can set it to AF on the remote (and take photo after a delay too).
09-22-2018, 07:50 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have placed a leaf on the ground where I planned to stand, focused on that, carefully reset the camera and stood on the leaf - but a remote in the pocket works better for me.
09-22-2018, 07:51 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A problem with AF and a self timer is that unless you know exactly where to stand (in the AF bracket) the AF could focus on something else and you would be out of focus. I think this is one reason it wasn't included as a feature of the K-1. The best advice is what kiwi_jono said. You could have a stand-in take your place while you are focusing just to have a focus reference.

09-22-2018, 10:18 PM   #5
Pentaxian

On the K1, the self timer is 2s or 12s. It is not possible to have AF done automatically before the shot in that mode. However, the Interval shooting mode features the option to have AF performed for each show or not. One of the interval shooting mode could be selected to take multiple selfies / portraits. Exception is interval shooting in live view with or without ES and face recognition, refocus is not performed in live view mode even is the refocus is enabled, I supposed the logic is because live view is only supposed to be used for when the user is behind the camera, the downside being that face detection can't be used in interval shooting for selfies, the IR remote should be used in that case with AF on shutter command enabled.

---------- Post added 23-09-18 at 07:33 ----------

To sum up, there are two ways to do selfies with pros and cons:
- Live View with face detection auto-focus (if the goal is to focus on the face), using the IR remote (enable C10-1): camera will focus on face/eyes automatically but posing is altered by handling of the IR remote control device.
- Interval shooting mode with AF-S multi-auto focusing and refocus function enabled (enable C13-2 and C14-2), downside is focusing isn't full consistent, wouldn't work well with the DFA*50 F/1.4 wide open or FA*85 1.4 wide open.
09-23-2018, 02:45 AM   #6
Veteran Member

What about using the ImageSync app as a remote?
09-23-2018, 03:36 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by krazykat Quote
What about using the ImageSync app as a remote?
For selfies!?

09-23-2018, 05:00 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
For selfies!?
Would it work? Do your composition with the Image Sync app & then use an IR remote to trigger. Unless I'm missing something...
09-23-2018, 05:05 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I have used the Image Sync app with my tablet for selfies. It actually works quite well, as long as you can keep the tablet out of the picture. It works for focusing precisely and for composing as you can position yourself as you desire in the shot.