Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2018, 11:24 AM   #76
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2016
Location: East Coast
Posts: 1,662
QuoteOriginally posted by tjwengineering Quote
Did not wait until the last minute knowing there might be a lot of people waiting until the last minute to upgrade..
Yep, I'm part of that last minute rush problem. I also was figuring that would be the case, and since I waited until the last day, I was ready for a hurry up and wait scenario, and it is. I'm OK because I still have a K-1 to shoot, and it's still a great camera. I do understand the frustration and irritation of those who sent the camera in and are now approaching two months without. That would suck, but blaming and cursing achieves nothing, and given the realities of the camera markets, I can see why Ricoh wanted to know what to produce before they had a lot on the shelf that was loosing money for them. Yes, we can all say how communication should be improved, but I'd also say if you have been following Ricoh on product announcements and changes in availability etc, this should not be a surprise. It's a case of needing to understand the creature versus trying to change the creature - that isn't going to happen....

11-15-2018, 01:18 PM - 1 Like   #77
Senior Member
Uncle_dad's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Edgewater Maryland
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 110
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tjwengineering Quote
I sent in my Pentax in to Precision Camera in July... Took 8 days to upgrade...
Did not wait until the last minute knowing there might be a lot of people waiting until the last minute to upgrade..
Guess I was right!
Some of us wanted to hear some real time reports on what was really improved to figure out if it was worthwhile getting the up grade. That is why I waited. My problem is not how long it will take but the fact that Precision told me on the phone on Sept. 24th yes they had the parts send it in. Then charged my card saying it was to hold parts (which they did not have).. After a few emails back and forth they did refund my money back, but the camera is still there. they said they would send it back but then I am out the $48 counting insurance to ship it to them.
11-15-2018, 01:44 PM - 1 Like   #78
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2016
Location: East Coast
Posts: 1,662
QuoteOriginally posted by Uncle_dad Quote
Some of us wanted to hear some real time reports on what was really improved to figure out if it was worthwhile getting the up grade. That is why I waited. My problem is not how long it will take but the fact that Precision told me on the phone on Sept. 24th yes they had the parts send it in.
That was a big part of why I held off too - getting some accurate feedback. Telling you on the 24th to send it in was wrong though. A little more foresight should have been in order. Unfortunately, it sounds like communication on this has been a mess at many levels.
11-16-2018, 07:25 AM   #79
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Central Ohio (formerly SF Bay Area)
Posts: 1,513
No ETA for the parts

Well, we're back to a "no ETA at all" situation - the rep I spoke to on the phone this morning was very nice and courteous, but she said the Ricoh rep she spoke to recently was not able to provide any information at all. Typical.

I asked for my camera back, and she volunteered to check out whether I could hold my place in line or if I would be dumped back at the end. Either way, I said, as long as I eventually get the upgrade I'll be fine.

This is a really dumb and entirely self-created fiasco.

Because she was nice I didn't want to get into the "but why haven't you contacted us about this" complaint. Another time, maybe only after I get my upgraded camera back!

11-16-2018, 08:02 AM   #80
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2016
Location: East Coast
Posts: 1,662
Well, at this rate of delay, we might get to see what new things are being unveiled first, and then we'd have the option to decide to upgrade or buy a new model......
11-19-2018, 02:10 PM - 2 Likes   #81
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Photos: Albums
Posts: 152
Sometimes you just have to go to the top!
I sent an email to the President/CEO of Ricoh USA (Joji Tokunaga) this morning and got an email back from someone on the technical solutions team. He apologized for the delay and assured me that "all upgrade kits should be fulfilled and received by mid-December." I had also emailed the President of Precision last week - with no response - so very happy that Ricoh responded. Ricoh moved up a notch in my view.

The person on the tech team offered to have my camera shipped back while I wait (which Precision has also been offering) and which I probably will decline since I don't want to lose my place in the queue and shooting with my K3 (and the 1.5 extra reach) is kind of fun. BUT I do miss my K1.

I will follow up with him in mid-December if they don't make good on their promise. (I did offer to take a NEW K1 II at a discount, but they didn't bite.)

Anyway - more waiting but I feel confident this is accurate information.
11-19-2018, 02:16 PM   #82
Forum Member
DonovanJM's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Washougal, WA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 54
QuoteOriginally posted by jcsnyc Quote
Sometimes you just have to go to the top!
I sent an email to the President/CEO of Ricoh USA (Joji Tokunaga) this morning and got an email back from someone on the technical solutions team. He apologized for the delay and assured me that "all upgrade kits should be fulfilled and received by mid-December." I had also emailed the President of Precision last week - with no response - so very happy that Ricoh responded. Ricoh moved up a notch in my view.

The person on the tech team offered to have my camera shipped back while I wait (which Precision has also been offering) and which I probably will decline since I don't want to lose my place in the queue and shooting with my K3 (and the 1.5 extra reach) is kind of fun. BUT I do miss my K1.

I will follow up with him in mid-December if they don't make good on their promise. (I did offer to take a NEW K1 II at a discount, but they didn't bite.)

Anyway - more waiting but I feel confident this is accurate information.
That sounds promising! Hopefully it turns out to be true.
11-21-2018, 03:30 PM - 1 Like   #83
Forum Member
DonovanJM's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Washougal, WA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 54
Finally got some official information.

"Dear Donovan,

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your past, present and future support. At this time I would like to update you on the status of your PENTAX K-1 Upgrade. Unfortunately, due to the unforeseen overwhelming success of the PENTAX K-1 Upgrade Service worldwide, the upgrade parts required to complete your upgrade are currently back ordered. However, with that being said, we have received notification from our Global Services Division that we will receive our final allocation of K-1 Upgrade Parts by mid December which will allow us to resume the K-1 Upgrade Service and have your camera returned to you as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience and please accept our apologies for the delays.


Best Regards,

Dan Savoie
Technical Solutions Manager
Ricoh Imaging North America"

11-21-2018, 08:48 PM   #84
Senior Member
Uncle_dad's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Edgewater Maryland
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 110
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DonovanJM Quote
Finally got some official information.

"Dear Donovan,

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your past, present and future support. At this time I would like to update you on the status of your PENTAX K-1 Upgrade. Unfortunately, due to the unforeseen overwhelming success of the PENTAX K-1 Upgrade Service worldwide, the upgrade parts required to complete your upgrade are currently back ordered. However, with that being said, we have received notification from our Global Services Division that we will receive our final allocation of K-1 Upgrade Parts by mid December which will allow us to resume the K-1 Upgrade Service and have your camera returned to you as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience and please accept our apologies for the delays.


Best Regards,

Dan Savoie
Technical Solutions Manager
Ricoh Imaging North America"

Same thing I got today from Ricoh
11-22-2018, 10:00 AM - 1 Like   #85
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 981
QuoteOriginally posted by DonovanJM Quote
Finally got some official information.

"Dear Donovan,

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your past, present and future support. At this time I would like to update you on the status of your PENTAX K-1 Upgrade. Unfortunately, due to the unforeseen overwhelming success of the PENTAX K-1 Upgrade Service worldwide, the upgrade parts required to complete your upgrade are currently back ordered. However, with that being said, we have received notification from our Global Services Division that we will receive our final allocation of K-1 Upgrade Parts by mid December which will allow us to resume the K-1 Upgrade Service and have your camera returned to you as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience and please accept our apologies for the delays.


Best Regards,

Dan Savoie
Technical Solutions Manager
Ricoh Imaging North America"
So, based on this letter, I'd say the silver lining here is the "unforeseen overwhelming success of the Pentax K1 Upgrade Service worldwide". I hope that makes the people in Japan sit up and take notice. One thing I am thinking is that for a small company, this could be an interesting avenue for renewal of products. Clearly the negative experiences of some folks here speak to the need to manage this much better next time, but I remain hopeful that this could be an innovative way to design cameras, modularly, such that work like this can be done quickly and efficiently.

After all, do you really want to have to learn a whole new body every time you change cameras? For me, that's the least pleasant thing about upgrades...
12-07-2018, 09:32 AM   #86
Senior Member
Uncle_dad's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Edgewater Maryland
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 110
Original Poster
On Dec. 7th my K-1 now shows on the Precision web site as in repair and not waiting for parts !!!!!!!!
12-07-2018, 09:40 AM   #87
Forum Member
DonovanJM's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Washougal, WA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 54
QuoteOriginally posted by Uncle_dad Quote
On Dec. 7th my K-1 now shows on the Precision web site as in repair and not waiting for parts !!!!!!!!
Me too!

Last edited by DonovanJM; 12-07-2018 at 09:49 AM.
12-08-2018, 03:42 AM   #88
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Photos: Albums
Posts: 152
Same! Finally.... I might actually have it back for my holiday vacation....
12-08-2018, 10:47 AM   #89
Loyal Site Supportaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
jbondo's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Texas
Photos: Albums
Posts: 486
Both of mine show 'in repair' as well now. Not counting on them getting back to me in time for a trip next week, but still nice to know. Just two days ago I bought another K-01 as a temporary measure to get me by.
12-11-2018, 01:07 PM   #90
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Photos: Albums
Posts: 152
Mine is on its way home to me! Tracking number listed and says repair complete!!!!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
dslr, full frame, full-frame, k-1, k1, pentax k-1, upgrade
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Setting the 2 second delay on my K-1. TerryL Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 7 03-31-2018 01:57 PM
K5 shutter delay scotty1 Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 5 06-10-2017 03:17 AM
Interval with 2sec delay? Gimbal Pentax K-1 7 02-25-2017 11:20 AM
Lightroom Editing - Long Delay on getting clear images PhotoNomad0 Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 19 10-24-2016 10:40 AM
You should delay Windows 10 upgrade!!!!! davidreilly3207 Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 53 09-17-2015 03:30 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:02 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top