Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 27 Likes Search this Thread
10-14-2018, 03:41 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

CRK in Melbourne has just contacted me saying the upgrade has now been completed, and they're sending my K-1 II off to me today...yayayay...I'll have it in time for my trip out to Broken Hill and Minindee Lakes!!!!

10-14-2018, 06:47 PM   #32

Hopefully Precision has some good news tomorrow.
10-15-2018, 07:27 AM   #33
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by funkythiru Quote
Hopefully Precision has some good news tomorrow.
That would be nice. Let us know what they have to say.
10-15-2018, 09:54 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I piled on in mid-september and sent my K-1 in to Precision. It's also still waiting for parts. I'm hoping to get the upgrade back by mid-November.

In the meantime, I'm using my K5IIs and getting through the backlog of photos from the summer.

10-15-2018, 01:54 PM   #35

QuoteOriginally posted by DonovanJM Quote
That would be nice. Let us know what they have to say.
Called twice only got the answering machine.
10-16-2018, 07:21 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by funkythiru Quote
Called twice only got the answering machine.
Well, I got that, too, in July. Ultimately all was good, but like so many companies they don't prioritize their interface with the customers. Companies don't seem to understand how bad that is.---although here they did make efforts to contact me via email after a couple of people had left and my contact info and email comms had been shunted around, which took a little effort I think.

Last edited by texandrews; 10-16-2018 at 07:28 AM.
10-16-2018, 09:32 AM   #37
Forum Member

I just got off the phone with them and the lady said they have no update. I pointed out that the website say's the parts have been ordered and she said they have ordered the parts but have no ETA on when they will arrive. She said they are trying to find out.
So no one knows anything.

10-16-2018, 12:25 PM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DonovanJM Quote
I just got off the phone with them and the lady said they have no update. I pointed out that the website say's the parts have been ordered and she said they have ordered the parts but have no ETA on when they will arrive. She said they are trying to find out.
So no one knows anything.
Not so surprised at this, yet it's possibly interesting. I had assumed the boards were K1II boards, and that they could just be gotten from either the factory or the supplier. I would still think that would be true....but maybe the boards are slightly different...?
10-16-2018, 12:48 PM   #39

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I spoke to Precision and got the same info, "No ETA." I emailed Pentax and got, "Thanks for being a loyal customer. You will get the upgrade when available."

So really zero solid info on the ETA. I replied and asked again for an ETA.

I also sent my camera in.... but can live a few more weeks with my backup K3....
10-16-2018, 07:50 PM   #40
Loyal Site Supportaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tax Quote
Now I am glad that I sent just one of my K-1's to them, not both.
Sigh. I sent both of mine in, I decided my odds were better of not getting cancelled if they actually had my cameras there. Meanwhile it's just me and "Koi" (my K-01) to take photos with.
10-17-2018, 06:15 AM - 1 Like   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It is sad that Pentax/Ricoh have managed to turn this otherwise positive upgrade offer into a PR disaster. They got great, positive press for offering the upgrade but that is probably now coming undone. The K-1ii upgrade is worth the wait but I sympathize with all of you are having to wait.
10-17-2018, 06:21 AM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
It is sad that Pentax/Ricoh have managed to turn this otherwise positive upgrade offer into a PR disaster. They got great, positive press for offering the upgrade but that is probably now coming undone. The K-1ii upgrade is worth the wait but I sympathize with all of you are having to wait.
Mmmmm, not really IMO. Again, part of this problem is that the naysayers came out in force immediately, and I think that made enough people wait to cause a bottleneck in the second half of the upgrade period, and waht looks to be a rush at the bitter end. I ahd to wait until I was through with a shooting period for work, and mine took a while but everything turned out OK.

It doesn't help that Pentax has once again underestimated demand (it's a pattern...) or that here in the U.S. Precision has gone through some personnel changes---I'm counting 3-4 that I know of, and it doesn't look to be a big outfit in the first place. Loosing people is always disruptive.
10-17-2018, 08:19 AM   #43

I too am a last minute hold out but on a phone call to Precision I was told to fill out and submit the online form before the end of September but do not send in the body until told to do so. This works great in that I am taking my "old" K1 to Europe for two weeks instead of not having my camera sitting and waiting. I will call Precision when I return in November. I could taken my K3 instead but prefer the low light capabilities of the K1.
10-22-2018, 10:04 AM   #44

Called today, no updates . They are still waiting on parts and told me not to send the camera in. Wonder if Ricoh will release any info about the backlog.
10-22-2018, 10:22 AM - 2 Likes   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

While our recent discussion is focused on Precision and upgrades here in the U.S., lest not forget that we've got global "competition" for the upgrade parts. Totally get the frustration by folks who have sent in a camera, but otherwise, really think it's just a question of hanging in there a bit longer. And can't help but think that at some level the delay is a good thing - demand has to be good for Ricoh. This beats them having a pile of boards no one wants and second guessing what they did and deciding to never do this again in the future. The idea I can upgrade my camera for roughly a quarter the cost of new is pretty cool. It would be nice to see this again in the future. I'm not in a position to shell out the bucks for a K-1 II off the shelf, but I can do the upgrade. I'll happily wait my turn.