Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2018, 10:40 AM   #46
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
The frustration for me isn't that there is a delay. The frustration is no information from anyone about how long the delay is going to be. No information about why there is a shortage. No information about what is being done. No information about how long the wait is going to be. No information other than waiting on parts.

10-22-2018, 10:50 AM   #47

QuoteOriginally posted by DonovanJM Quote
The frustration for me isn't that there is a delay. The frustration is no information from anyone about how long the delay is going to be. No information about why there is a shortage. No information about what is being done. No information about how long the wait is going to be. No information other than waiting on parts.
The unknowable unknowns are unbearable. I sincerely hope they will have the boards before cyber monday and no storms or hurricanes hit the mid atlantic.
10-22-2018, 10:56 AM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No information other than waiting on parts.
Yep. Get the frustration, but it's Ricoh, and as we know, communication ain't their strength. And all I can say is from having a friend who is married to a Japanese native and living in Japan, I'm not too surprised - often are cultural things at play we don't get.
10-22-2018, 12:21 PM - 1 Like   #49
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
While our recent discussion is focused on Precision and upgrades here in the U.S., lest not forget that we've got global "competition" for the upgrade parts. Totally get the frustration by folks who have sent in a camera, but otherwise, really think it's just a question of hanging in there a bit longer. And can't help but think that at some level the delay is a good thing - demand has to be good for Ricoh. This beats them having a pile of boards no one wants and second guessing what they did and deciding to never do this again in the future. The idea I can upgrade my camera for roughly a quarter the cost of new is pretty cool. It would be nice to see this again in the future. I'm not in a position to shell out the bucks for a K-1 II off the shelf, but I can do the upgrade. I'll happily wait my turn.
Exactly my sentiments, clickclick. I'm glad I did it.

10-29-2018, 01:14 PM   #50

Just called, still no info on their end.
10-29-2018, 01:35 PM   #51
Forum Member

At least you chaps still have an upgrade path. I contacted Johnson's Photopia, the sole UK Pentax agent, in August regarding the upgrade and they said no problem. I was going on holiday in September and as long as it was sent before the deadline Pentax would honour the offer.

Unfortunately, when I returned from holiday Johnson's had gone into administration and there is no way I would send the camera to them to never see it again. Unfortunately, I've now missed the boat and am not sure what to do other than wait for the next Pentax full-frame release.

To add salt, I've just seen that my image processing software now supports the K1 II without needing to change the image EXIF. Grrrr.
10-29-2018, 05:43 PM   #52

QuoteOriginally posted by doodlebug Quote
At least you chaps still have an upgrade path. I contacted Johnson's Photopia, the sole UK Pentax agent, in August regarding the upgrade and they said no problem. I was going on holiday in September and as long as it was sent before the deadline Pentax would honour the offer.

Unfortunately, when I returned from holiday Johnson's had gone into administration and there is no way I would send the camera to them to never see it again. Unfortunately, I've now missed the boat and am not sure what to do other than wait for the next Pentax full-frame release.

To add salt, I've just seen that my image processing software now supports the K1 II without needing to change the image EXIF. Grrrr.
Sun Camera in Canada might, give them a ring.

10-29-2018, 10:36 PM   #53
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by funkythiru Quote
Sun Camera in Canada might, give them a ring.
Thanks funkythru, but I'd rather not send the camera outside Europe.
10-30-2018, 10:43 AM - 1 Like   #54

Thought you guys were out of europe
11-01-2018, 12:08 AM   #55
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by funkythiru Quote
Thought you guys were out of europe
Ha ha.
11-05-2018, 10:10 AM   #56

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Latest info after calling Ricoh USA and them telling me Precision are the ones talking to Japan about it, then this from David Marsh at Precision
"The current ETA for the arrival of the parts from Ricoh/Pentax is the end of December. FYI, the ETA has moved twice now, so we can’t be 100% sure of the actual arrival date until they’re shipped from Japan. We have about 125 folks, like yourself, waiting for the delivery of these parts so we can complete the upgrade.

Thank you,

David Marsh | Precision Camera, Inc.

Lovely....
11-05-2018, 10:21 AM   #57
Forum Member

End of December? Really? What the hell has Pentax been doing? This is really disappointing. It actually makes me question my decision to go with Pentax.
11-05-2018, 10:26 AM   #58
Loyal Site Supporter

End of December? Really? What the hell has Pentax been doing? This is really disappointing. It actually makes me question my decision to go with Pentax.
Why, if I may ask?

---------- Post added 11-05-18 at 12:27 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Uncle_dad Quote

Lovely....
....meaning?
11-05-2018, 10:40 AM   #59
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Why, if I may ask?[COLOR="Silver"]
It makes me question the management of the company. How could they not expect a last minute rush on upgrades and have had a contingency plan of some sort. I fully expected to have some sort of wait due to me waiting until the end. Totally understandable and my fault. A three month wait to just get the parts seems unreasonable to me. That's also assuming that they get the parts at the end of December. Apparently it's been pushed back twice already with no gua8ot won't happen again.
11-05-2018, 01:45 PM   #60
Loyal Site Supporter

It makes me question the management of the company.
Hmmm....well, you're in a large club, especially in the west. maybe not so much in Japan.
QuoteQuote:
How could they not expect a last minute rush on upgrades and have had a contingency plan of some sort.
It's not the first time this small, conservative company has woefully underestimated demand. It happened with the 645Z and maybe the 645 25mm before that; It happened with the K1; it just happened again with the new f1.4 50mm. Looking at it from their point of view, I think they see the downsides of having too much stock as a worse negative than having ample supply, although that is pure speculation on my part. So, anyway, you missed the history here....
QuoteQuote:
I fully expected to have some sort of wait due to me waiting until the end. Totally understandable and my fault.
I think the positive in this is that they are honoring last minute send-ins.
QuoteQuote:
A three month wait to just get the parts seems unreasonable to me. That's also assuming that they get the parts at the end of December. Apparently it's been pushed back twice already with no gua8ot won't happen again.
Yeah, seems odd, but then we're also talking worldwide, and who knows what the chip supplier's scene is....