Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2018, 06:05 AM   #106
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Uncle_dad Quote
Has anyone else gotten a user manual ??? I did not..
You know you can download it, Right? In fact there's a link above....

12-17-2018, 11:10 AM   #107
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Called Precision this morning regarding sending in my Q-S1, and while on the phone, asked about the K-1 upgrade where I still had the camera body in hand. They said to hold on and wait for them to contact me to send it in. I didn't push on a time frame, just confirmation that they would be contacting me when my turn came up.
12-17-2018, 12:22 PM   #108

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
You know you can download it, Right? In fact there's a link above....

I am the one that posted the link.. I was just wondering because someone said they got one but it wasn't a Precision place that did their work and it was in German I think they said.
I prefer one in the hand so I don't need screen in front of me to look at it. A paper one works better for me when out rolling around in the RV...
12-17-2018, 06:09 PM   #109
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uncle_dad Quote
I am the one that posted the link.. I was just wondering because someone said they got one but it wasn't a Precision place that did their work and it was in German I think they said.
I prefer one in the hand so I don't need screen in front of me to look at it. A paper one works better for me when out rolling around in the RV...
Which reminds me! I need to print out the new version.

12-17-2018, 09:07 PM   #110

I am a late one too who submitted the Web form on 9/25 and called Precision and was told to hold the camera until notified. Since then I have not received one stick of information from Precision or Ricoh. When I place my number into the online camera repair status, it says not found. Earlier this week I pinged Ricoh service with an e-mail wondering what's up and that the status at Precision shows nothing and have not heard anything. I've also been in touch with a Ricoh Marketing person who I met locally in Texas and she said she'd look into it for me about 6 weeks ago and even she got no response from her own people! While I am happy I still have my K1, they have my money! Patience, I guess...Happy Holidays to All!
12-19-2018, 01:50 PM - 1 Like   #111

I submitted my K1 upgrade online form to Precision on 9-25. At the time I called Precision and they said to NOT send in the body...today I finally received this first communication below. I guess there is light at the end of the tunnel.

TSSC - RIAC (Camera Support) <tsscRicohImaging@ricoh-usa.com>
To:XXXX

Dec 19 at 2:36 PM

Hi XXXX, thank you for your email. Due to the overwhelming success of the K-1 upgrade we did run out of parts, but we will have more parts available in January to finish the orders that have already been placed. You will receive an email from Precision once they have the parts ready for your upgrade. We do truly appreciate your patience throughout this process.

Sherrone Mitchell
Technical Spec, Tech Supp.Customer Support Services

RICOH USA, INC.

tsscRicohImaging@ricoh-usa.com
12-20-2018, 01:19 PM   #112
Pentaxian

Kingman, I appreciate your positive attitude about this!

I submitted my upgrade request about the same time you did (9/24 or 9/25) and sent the camera in. I held on, hoping it would be back for the holidays, and sure enough it came back the beginning of this week. So I guess it's a trade-off -- those who left their cameras with Precision finally got it done but didn't have their cameras for three months, and those who waited are waiting still but at least still have their K-1s. I sure hope they finish the entire project soon!

(I can totally understand that they underestimated demand and had to wait for back-ordered parts to arrive in December. But apparently there are still more parts to wait for? That part I don't get. Are these replacement logic boards meticulously handcrafted by circuit artisans who can't be rushed?)

12-20-2018, 08:25 PM   #113

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
Kingman, I appreciate your positive attitude about this!

I submitted my upgrade request about the same time you did (9/24 or 9/25) and sent the camera in. I held on, hoping it would be back for the holidays, and sure enough it came back the beginning of this week. So I guess it's a trade-off -- those who left their cameras with Precision finally got it done but didn't have their cameras for three months, and those who waited are waiting still but at least still have their K-1s. I sure hope they finish the entire project soon!

(I can totally understand that they underestimated demand and had to wait for back-ordered parts to arrive in December. But apparently there are still more parts to wait for? That part I don't get. Are these replacement logic boards meticulously handcrafted by circuit artisans who can't be rushed?)
Quicksand, I am glad I at least had my K1 during this time for my shoots and vacation this fall! I guess I could of taken my K3 body and save a lot more weight :-). Obviously, I am no longer in a hurry. Just feel sorry for those who did not have the use of their equipment for the time it sat at Precision or wherever. I was more peeved about not hearing anything from them. I figure by the end of Sept they knew how many boards they really needed, underestimated by apparently by a whole bunch, and had to have an extra production run of boards (and this takes time to schedule an extra run like this). Remember they are still currently making K1 MkII bodies and they need these boards too, but I am sure none of these boards were diverted to slow or stop production of new MkII's for us upgraders. It still would be interesting to know how many people upgraded? Since the PF captures a significant percentage of K1 upgraders, one might be able to make a SWAG guess at the total number of K1 upgrades there will be done in total through out the world. Considering the Pentax K1 represents a single digital percentage marketshare, this number might be interesting to figure out.
12-22-2018, 08:46 PM   #114
Site Supporter

I still have heard nothing at all.
01-11-2019, 01:42 AM - 1 Like   #115
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, I finally received word on 1/4/19 to ship my K-1 in for the upgrade. Shipped it on 1/9/19 for delivery on 1/11/19 morning delivery which later today. I put in my request back last June, 2018. Here is the email:

Hello Aaron,

We got our first allocation in last month and have a few extra kits available. We also have another shipment on the way to us that should arrive by the end of this month.

Please coordinate with Sheila Banes, cc’d in this message to have your unit sent in for the upgrade.

Thanks,

Dave

David Marsh – Precision Camera
01-11-2019, 11:42 AM - 1 Like   #116
Veteran Member

for those who did NOT take advantage of the K1 upgrade back in 2018, is it too late for you to upgrade it now?
if its not too late, any idea how much the charge will be? i can understand that pentax will no longer honor the price they said in 2018 as that was a 'promotion/sale'
01-11-2019, 12:13 PM   #117
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hadi Quote
for those who did NOT take advantage of the K1 upgrade back in 2018, is it too late for you to upgrade it now?
if its not too late, any idea how much the charge will be? i can understand that pentax will no longer honor the price they said in 2018 as that was a 'promotion/sale'
I would call Precision and ask them. I would think big they have extra boards that they would do it. Though maybe they would want to keep some spares. Best bet is to call them.
01-11-2019, 12:16 PM   #118

Has anyone heard whether anyone regretting having the upgrade based on side by side tests?
01-11-2019, 09:50 PM   #119
Site Supporter

I need to call to find out when mine can be sent in. I still have heard nothing at all.
01-12-2019, 07:18 AM   #120

QuoteOriginally posted by Kingman Quote
Has anyone heard whether anyone regretting having the upgrade based on side by side tests?
I'm skeptical anybody would claim that, most who opted for the upgrade did so for the faster autofocus or the handheld PS (at least, me). But we might hear stories of botched reassembly and switched up cameras. Being sanguine is being Pentaxian so let's hope for the best.