Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2018, 11:44 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I had no qualms with the native Capture One profile for K1, and am shocked to realize CO 12 still doesn't support K1 Mark II. I have filed a ticket with Phase One technical support but won't hold my breath.
I'm sure there is value in the artisanal color profiles, but it really needs a professional profile to make CO really shine and surpass the camera JPGs.

04-09-2019, 10:46 PM   #32

Yesterday I tried the free Colorchecker Passport Beta Software with a colorchart I found on a test site. This is what I got out. The profile color accuracy is good but it is rather flat compared to the neutral DNG profile in C1. This may be a good thing depending on workflow and taste.
Attached Files
File Type: zip PENTAX K-1 Mark II.zip (834.4 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by Viennese; 04-09-2019 at 10:53 PM.
04-10-2019, 12:37 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I downloaded it, but the zip file won't extract (on a Mac.) Is it possible it is password protected?
04-11-2019, 08:08 AM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Viennese Quote
Yesterday I tried the free Colorchecker Passport Beta Software with a colorchart I found on a test site.
What do you mean by "found on a test site"?

You didn't take a picture of the chart displayed on a monitor, did you?

04-12-2019, 03:36 AM   #35

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxke Quote
I downloaded it, but the zip file won't extract (on a Mac.) Is it possible it is password protected?
I used 7zip for compression.

---------- Post added 04-12-19 at 11:38 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
What do you mean by "found on a test site"?

You didn't take a picture of the chart displayed on a monitor, did you?
Come on. I downloaded a raw file and processed it through C1 as described by x-rite.
04-12-2019, 06:33 AM   #36
Veteran Member

I used 7zip for compression.
Then I don't know why it says it doesn't have permission to unzip it. Maybe corrupt file?
04-12-2019, 08:30 AM   #37

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxke Quote
Then I don't know why it says it doesn't have permission to unzip it. Maybe corrupt file?
I just downloaded the zipfile from Pentaxforums and it opened just fine. Maybe this one works better.

Attached Files
File Type: zip PENTAX K-1 Mark II.zip (875.8 KB, 32 views)
04-12-2019, 09:33 AM   #38
Veteran Member

I just downloaded the zipfile from Pentaxforums and it opened just fine. Maybe this one works better.
Works now! I will try it later. Thank you!
04-12-2019, 11:29 PM   #39
Pentaxian

I downloaded a raw file and processed it through C1 as described by x-rite.
OK, that's "better" than taking a snap of a chart displayed on a monitor.

Did the author of the raw file mention what lighting they used?
The lens used will also influence the colours a bit, but not significantly (unlike the light source which can make a huge difference).
04-13-2019, 12:28 AM   #40
PDL
Pentaxian

Go here:
QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
The whole idea about using a color chart is to create custom color correction for a given light source.
For instance, shoot in a environment where you have mixed light sources. (I have shot in areas where there is filtered daylight, fluorescent, Halogen, Tungsten and Mercury Vapor lights in the same room at the same time)
In your RAW image converter open up the color chart, correct for exposure (histogram as spread out as possible), use the eyedropper on the white balance tool to select the middle grey square. That sets your white balance for the images shot in that environment.
You do not need a certain color temperature light source to shoot a target. You have it backwards. You use the color chart to assist with setting the color temperature. You will need additional software to create a custom icc profile for those lighting conditions.
Since you are using a ColorChecker Passport you should be following: Suitable colour chart lighting for creation of dual-illuminant profiles? - PentaxForums.com
and https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/190-pentax-k-1/190-pentax-k-1/32-digital...e-one-pro.html
The idea is to shoot a Color Checker target with your camera. Make adjustments as you deem necessary, white balance, exposure etc. Flatten the image and set the remove all default curve and profile information and export that file as a 16bit TIFF. You then take this file and input it into the software and build your ICC profile.

Copying a "file" off the internet is not the way to use this. X-Rite has instructions on how to use their software and they released v2.0 of it recently.

Also, go here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/32-digital-processing-software-printing/...e-one-pro.html
04-15-2019, 04:37 AM   #41

The idea is to make a default profile that works in a lot of lighting situations, no matter what lightsource is used in the actual shoot. Capture one usually delivers the right profile made for the specific camera model. The profile is applied at the end of the image data pipeline, so color is interpreted after you adjust brightness, contrast and so on. That for you use a lightsource with a rather full color spectrum (daylight, studioflash). The lightsource is usually described on the test sites, also the lens that was used. The most popular sites are very detailed about it.

Dont forget: You can tweak a color profile with the C1 color tool and then save it as an ICC profile. I once made a preset mimicking Fuji Provia by applying the values of a Fujichrome Provia 100f preset from Color Efex Pro (once a free software).

Last edited by Viennese; 04-15-2019 at 04:57 AM.
05-06-2019, 07:47 AM   #42

I tried the newest version of the colorchecker software and combined it with the sg chart (140 swatches). They are still flat but color accuracy and highlight clipping is a little better now. The sg-profile is also darker (thatīs maybe the reason for the clipping improvement).
Attached Files
File Type: zip PentaxK1MII-ColorProfiles.zip (1.71 MB, 40 views)
11-23-2019, 01:22 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Hi all, sorry to dig up an old thread again, but I am currently testing the new version which should be due beginning december, which will be called V20 (they skipped 13 => 19 altogether, probably to have the version reflect the year it was current.) I can't say all that much, because it's under NDA, but I can say one thing: this version will make it worthwhile! Currently Phase One has an offer that if you upgrade to V12, you will get V20 for free. I would say do it while you can...
11-25-2019, 02:20 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not so sure about my loyalty after Phase One tested it so badly by ignoring K1-II for years. I have moved in the meantime to ON1, which has evolved exponentially in the last year both in features and speed(!), CO20 better be stellar to catch up...
11-25-2019, 09:02 PM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mirocal Quote
CO20 better be stellar to catch up...
"Catch up" in what sense?

I don't think that C1 20 has anything to worry about with respect to be being a raw developer, on the contrary.

Pentax support could be better, agreed, but I don't depend on the missing bits in the EXIF data and use alternative camera profiles that I'm very happy with.

Does the ON1 package support Pentax better than C1 does?