Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
11-26-2019, 11:38 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mirocal Quote
Not so sure about my loyalty after Phase One tested it so badly by ignoring K1-II for years. I have moved in the meantime to ON1, which has evolved exponentially in the last year both in features and speed(!), CO20 better be stellar to catch up...
Agreed, that C1 has it's quirks, but IMHO, what it does best is IQ, way ahead of competition. It's a solid piece of software and while some may have more features, C1 focusses on IQ and productivity. V20 steps up that game (for me at least.)

11-27-2019, 12:37 AM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Pentax support could be better, agreed, but I don't depend on the missing bits in the EXIF data and use alternative camera profiles that I'm very happy with.

Does the ON1 package support Pentax better than C1 does?
Unfortunately the few K1 II profiles I have tried with CO 12 feel like a step back from the K1 - CO11 results: less depth, less latitude, and it's definitely not the camera.

ON1 2020 image quality is very good and almost on par with CO; where it still lags behind is highlights recovery and noise control (though they progressed significantly on the latter). ON1 has a respectable database of Pentax lenses profile; even if crowd sourced, I am pleased with how some of my lenses are supported. The deal killer that was low speed has been spectacularly removed in 2020, to the point I find now ON1 2020 faster on K1 II pef files than CO11 was on K1 files.

Yet I am willing to give CO another try, and I have subscribed for and downloaded Ver 20 beta. Disappointingly yet not surprisingly, it still lacks native support for K1 II. This is ridiculous regardless how much good will one can summon. CO won't get my money.
11-28-2019, 01:08 AM - 1 Like   #48
Veteran Member

@Mirocal, I not going to quote you so you have the time to rephrase what you wrote; remember you are under NDA, so I would advise to do so.

That said, some things you say are not true; you clearly didn't look around. That is all I am going to say, since I am under NDA too...

---------- Post added 28-11-19 at 09:32 ----------

...and of course, you could always report a bug for anything that you want to see improved (ie. not supported camera, EXIF wrongly represented, etc...) I did so since every release of a new beta. I think if there are enough complainers, they will fix it...
11-28-2019, 08:51 AM   #49
PDL
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxke Quote
-snip the NDA stuff
...and of course, you could always report a bug for anything that you want to see improved (ie. not supported camera, EXIF wrongly represented, etc...) I did so since every release of a new beta. I think if there are enough complainers, they will fix it...
If you take a look around here, some of us have been complaining to Phase One about Pentax being ignored for literally years. One or two - maybe three - people complaining over and over does nothing.

Learn to live with it and move on.

11-28-2019, 09:14 AM - 1 Like   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
Learn to live with it and move on.
Where did this hostile comment come from?
FYI, I have learned to deal with it; As a matter of fact, just this morning I paid the upgrade from V11 to V12 (knowing that I will have V20 for free.) Sure, C1 has its quirks, but I love this piece of software...
11-28-2019, 10:01 AM   #51
PDL
Pentaxian

Where did this hostile comment come from?
It's not a hostile comment. It is a statement of fact.
Now, if you had done a bit more research you would discover that I have been a supporter and user of Capture One since version 5 so yes I am one of "those" people who have sent in more feature/bug issues regarding Pentax support for many years. Phase One basically ignores Pentax and has done so for years.

I use Capture One as my RAW converter, basically I do all of my post processing in Capture One. I have requested that Capture One provide at least Lens ID ever since it was made available and I have requested better lens/camera profiles, pixel shift and a few other things over the years.

I still believe that Capture One beats LR with a big stick. The Capture One DAM features are built off Media Pro which Phase One has killed off. Still doesn't provide all the flexibility that I would like and it fails in the same places for years (I have Lens information that resurrects itself from before I found out how to use ExifTool to populate the appropriate fields along with other "issues"). These issues have been repeatedly reported to Capture One and yes, there has been improvement, but when a catalogue has lens names that were wrong (on my part) that periodically reappear is a continuing problem.

So do not go off and deflect the argument by feigning hostility on my part. Just do what you have to do and move on.
11-28-2019, 10:07 AM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For those who are really interested and want to purchase Capture One - Black Friday Deal using the code "BLACK-FRIDAY-19" - 30% on all Capture One products. Today I got a mail with this info.

11-28-2019, 10:21 AM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
It's not a hostile comment. It is a statement of fact.
Now, if you had done a bit more research you would discover that I have been a supporter and user of Capture One since version 5 so yes I am one of "those" people who have sent in more feature/bug issues regarding Pentax support for many years. Phase One basically ignores Pentax and has done so for years.

I use Capture One as my RAW converter, basically I do all of my post processing in Capture One. I have requested that Capture One provide at least Lens ID ever since it was made available and I have requested better lens/camera profiles, pixel shift and a few other things over the years.

I still believe that Capture One beats LR with a big stick. The Capture One DAM features are built off Media Pro which Phase One has killed off. Still doesn't provide all the flexibility that I would like and it fails in the same places for years (I have Lens information that resurrects itself from before I found out how to use ExifTool to populate the appropriate fields along with other "issues"). These issues have been repeatedly reported to Capture One and yes, there has been improvement, but when a catalogue has lens names that were wrong (on my part) that periodically reappear is a continuing problem.

So do not go off and deflect the argument by feigning hostility on my part. Just do what you have to do and move on.
It IS a hostile comment.
Just because I think that it doesn't hurt to file a request/complaint at Phase One, you shouldn't be posting things like 'learn to live with it and move on.' I have learned to live with it; won't stop me from asking Phase One to correct the bugs...

---------- Post added 28-11-19 at 18:23 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
For those who are really interested and want to purchase Capture One - Black Friday Deal using the code "BLACK-FRIDAY-19" - 30% on all Capture One products. Today I got a mail with this info.
Yes, I made use of it. First time (IIRC) that Phase One does a Black Friday worthy of that name...
11-29-2019, 12:46 AM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Beta 6 brought one particular change (?), sufficient for me to pre-order CO 20. I will be testing side by side with ON1 20. I have been using CO since ver 5, and as I said, am willing to give them a chance. It was a remarkably innovative product back then, the enthusiasm for change was as palpable as is with ON1 now, I do hope CO finds its way again.

Last edited by mirocal; 11-29-2019 at 02:05 AM.
11-29-2019, 07:01 AM - 1 Like   #55
Pentaxian

I have learned to live with it; won't stop me from asking Phase One to correct the bugs...
Same here.

I'm living with the (few) Pentax-related limitations but I'll always submit a bug report if I stumble across a problem.
Many bugs have been fixed that way and many features I requested made it into C1.

If we Pentaxians were to stop reporting issues, it would just mean that Phase One wouldn't hear about the issues anymore.
Since Phase One prioritise work based on the number of submissions they receive, we should all keep submitting, thus letting them know that there are many of us using the software and that it would be worth their while fixing Pentax-related shortcomings.

If we are still too few to make it above the noise floor, so be it, but we should keep complaining.

P.S.: I agree with PDL that the same people making the same complaints over and over again most likely won't make a difference, but the more of us mention the same issue, the better our chances that it will get fixed.
11-29-2019, 09:31 AM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
Thanks for that. Somehow I missed that email. Upgrading from v10 to v12/20 is now much more affordable.
12-01-2019, 06:29 PM   #57
PDL
Pentaxian

It IS a hostile comment.
Just because I think that it doesn't hurt to file a request/complaint at Phase One, you shouldn't be posting things like 'learn to live with it and move on.' I have learned to live with it; won't stop me from asking Phase One to correct the bugs...[COLOR="Silver"]
Phase One ignoring Pentax is not a bug - it is a documented feature. I have posted their comments on this site in other threads. Those comments are their official position.

If you want to continually remind them about their continuing lack of "features", lens profiles, camera profiles - go right ahead. However, based on my years of attempting to get their attention without results has lead me to the place I am now. Continually hitting your head against the wall to gain attention, only results in headaches. Other than my specific issues with Capture One's poor support for Pentax, I have pre-ordered the next version. Just like I have for nearly the last ten years.
12-04-2019, 01:41 PM - 1 Like   #58

Our efforts of asking for K-1 II have been rewarded.
Capture One 20 has just been released and now supports Pentax K-1 II AND PEF!
12-05-2019, 04:25 PM   #59
PDL
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by earlebird Quote
Our efforts of asking for K-1 II have been rewarded.
Capture One 20 has just been released and now supports Pentax K-1 II AND PEF!
Yes, progress on one important part, but they are still missing Pentax Lens Metadata, body serial number and additional lens profiles (no zooms). But progress is progress.
The grid function is still pretty manually intensive - but way better than v11.
12-05-2019, 06:00 PM   #60
Veteran Member

How is pixel-shift sharpening these days with CO? I use LR mainly because of superb handling of PS files with the sharpening module. It really pulls out the detail. A year ago I tried CO but it was no match for LR pixel-shift sharpening possibilities.