Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
12-05-2019, 07:16 PM   #61
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
How is pixel-shift sharpening these days with CO?
There is no support for pixel-shift in CO.

CO also lacks equivalents to some of the latest LR features like 'Enhanced Details' processing, the Texture tool, and even DeHaze.

12-05-2019, 09:26 PM   #62
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
The grid function is still pretty manually intensive - but way better than v11.
Are you referring to the cropping grid?

What is "manually intensive" about it?
Are you just looking for more keyboard shortcuts to change the grid options?
12-05-2019, 09:31 PM   #63
Pentaxian

How is pixel-shift sharpening these days with CO?
It doesn't support Pixel Shift for Pentax, nor for any other brand, if I'm not mistaken.

I use LR mainly because of superb handling of PS files with the sharpening module.
LR Pixel Shift processing works as long as their is zero movement in the scene.

Since that is unrealistic prospect for almost all applications, it is better to use software like RawTherapee to do one's Pixel Shift processing.

While I agree that some Pixel Shift support is better than none, having something half-baked is not really satisfactory.
12-05-2019, 09:52 PM - 1 Like   #64
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
CO also lacks equivalents to some of the latest LR features like 'Enhanced Details' processing, the Texture tool, and even DeHaze.
"Enhanced Details":
  • Has a lot of restrictions regarding file types.
  • Is computationally expensive and increases file size.
  • It is not clear to me to what extent C1's demosaicing approach would require such a feature.

"Texture Tool":
  • Is C1's "Structure" tool equivalent, as far as increasing acuity is concerned?
  • Is the use of negative clarity a good substitute, as far as decreasing detail is concerned?

"DeHaze":
  • Is useful to some for some images, but far from being an essential editing tool.
  • Can be emulated in C1 and saved as a style. Application of that style to an image can then be followed by choosing the desired strength.

Interestingly, the Cnet article on the texture tool states that
"It's rare for Adobe to add new editing controls to its Lightroom software; the last time was with the addition of Lightroom's dehaze control in 2015."
If that is true, it seems odd to suggest that LR is leading the way in terms of adding editing features.

As a matter of fact, C1 is far better than LR when it comes to colour editing, including a really useful "Skin colour" tool that supports homogenising skin tones very efficiently. There are other ways in which C1 is far more attractive than LR but I don't think there is much point in playing "feature battle" here.

I'm not suggesting that C1 is the better choice for everyone. Some will do better using LR, in particular if they want more than just raw editing capabilities. My reason for responding is not to promote C1 at all cost -- I can give you a number of things I'd like to see changed/improved in C1 -- but to counter the idea that LR is somehow ahead of the curve when it comes to editing features.

12-05-2019, 10:19 PM   #65
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Are you referring to the cropping grid?

What is "manually intensive" about it?
Are you just looking for more keyboard shortcuts to change the grid options?
There are several people on the Capture One forum who have "wished" for a simple method to cycle through compositional aids. The CO grid tool is a very good improvement over having to go into preferences and picking crop to select the grid. In LR (even my version of 6.14) in order to change from "rule of thirds" to Fibonacci spiral is a series of repeated keystrokes and you can get the spiral to switch aspect you use the shift key.

In CO you have to open the grid tool, which can mean you have to change to the appropriate tab, and mouse over to select the guide and then you have pick the display mode. Now, I have not tried to create my own set of shortcuts, but that is a lot of work for something that should have been done several versions ago. I know for a fact, that I sent in for something like this several times.

Yes, it is better now, but it is not as simple as LR make it.
12-05-2019, 10:50 PM   #66
Pentaxian

There are several people on the Capture One forum who have "wished" for a simple method to cycle through compositional aids.
I prefer LR's solution as well.

It might be possible to assign keyboard shortcuts to "compositional aid cycling"; I haven't looked into that because I don't find any of the compositional aids in C1 very useful. If you search for "grid" in the keyboard editor you might find something, but I wouldn't get my hopes up high.

I've made a feature suggestion for them to include more compositional aids. I find it overkill to have a dedicated tool for the paltry set of compositional aids they currently offer and the one I like most is not supported.
12-06-2019, 09:49 AM   #67
Veteran Member

Capture One supported Pixel-Shift years ago: Pentax K-1 Review - Pixel Shift in the Studio - Photography Classes in Seattle | National Park Photography Workshops | Photography Classes in Seattle | National Park Photography Workshops

12-06-2019, 02:36 PM - 1 Like   #68
PDL
Pentaxian

Good heavens, not this again. We have had this discussion before and the site quoted is just wrong.
The site is dated as 2017 - the following PNG is from Capture One v11.3 - released in 2018, please note it explicitly says that Pixel shift is NOT supported.

You can also refer to this thread from 2018 where the author of the site was found to be ---- just wrong.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/32-digital-processing-software-printing/...onfused-2.html

Last edited by PDL; 01-09-2020 at 06:24 PM.
12-06-2019, 03:45 PM   #69
Veteran Member

If the settings used in that very article were the same for both on/off samples, then CO did something differently when processing the PS ON -image. For it shows the exact effect PS-RAW has - better definition and enhanced contrast. It does not require a magnifying glass to see something was going on.
12-06-2019, 06:00 PM - 2 Likes   #70
PDL
Pentaxian

If the settings used in that very article were the same for both on/off samples, then CO did something differently when processing the PS ON -image. For it shows the exact effect PS-RAW has - better definition and enhanced contrast. It does not require a magnifying glass to see something was going on.
That something is the basic de-mosaic algorithms along with Phase One derived camera profiles which includes different default levels of contrast, sharpening, brightness, saturation and noise levels. Phase One takes the camera into its own lab with its own equipment (used for all cameras) and runs a evaluation suite to determine Capture One's default camera profile. Just why would you think that Capture One is going to "look" like ACR?

By your logic, if a direct comparison of ACR vs Capture One where Capture One is viewed as the base, then ACR is "doing something different". Well, duh, that is to be expected. I have read several reviews of Capture One vs Lightroom and the complaints that Capture One is "over sharpening, over brightening, adding too much contrast" run rampant. Phase One and Adobe are not the same company, they do not de-mosaic using the same methods nor do they, by default, use the same sharpening, contrast, noise, brightness values. Which is why, when I took a workshop and PCNW, I made the statement that "out of the box, Capture One looks more like Kodak where Lightroom looks more like Fuji" in terms of my experience with film.

You do not buy different RAW converters and expect identical results. They are different, from different companies, and in this case, different continents/countries. Adobe does not make cameras or work with chip manufacturers to "customize" sensor hardware. Phase One does make cameras and used to engineer their own sensors. Phase One has developed a unique relationship with SONY to fabricate Sensors for only Phase One (TriColor, IQ4 and IQ3 Achromatic) camera systems. So they "tune" their software to perform like they want it too, they are not dependent on ACR or Adobe for anything.

Heck, if you go and use Lightroom 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 (the limit of my purchases) and look at how images are rendered, they will be different. Just like what you will see between Capture One 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 and 20 (my set of Capture One versions). I see each different version as very similar to buying film back in the day, every one in a while Kodak, Fuji, Agfa, Ilford etc. came out with new emulsions that looked different than the earlier versions of film with the same name. With shooting digital (RAW) you get to experiment with shooting the same image with the equivalent (sorry, I do not mean to raise that words ugly head - but I digress) of a new emulsion. The web link is a very poor explanation of the difference between ACR and Capture One. The author is wrong about Pixel Shift.

Read this:
FYI, this article has been discussed at DPRreview already and the author has been informed that something does not quite add up. If I remember correctly, he shrugged his shoulders and said that he was happy with the quality as it is.

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/32-digital-processing-software-printing/...#ixzz67NXTDsja
From a post, by Class A #8, in the article I listed above. The author knows it is wrong, he just does not care to "fix" it.

In other words, he is wrong - he knows it - but he is not going to rectify the page - He is allowing his fake news to live on. Don't be fooled.

Last edited by PDL; 12-06-2019 at 06:08 PM. Reason: pontificating
12-06-2019, 08:08 PM   #71
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
What I have done to make the grid tool more accessible is to have it be a floating tool. There is room at the top of CO where the brand shows. I have several floating tools up there across the tom. When I use them I just click on the tool and it expands, do what I want then click on it again and it collapses. It's reasonably convenient. I have layers, Grid, Base characteristics and white balance across the top, after using it a few times it becomes habit and you remember where those tools are.

Tim
12-06-2019, 09:45 PM   #72
PDL
Pentaxian

Having to open the grid tool to change the properties of the grid is having to use the pointing device (mouse, pen, finger) more than I would like. When they brought the grid tool out in v12 - it was a major shift over previous versions. It would be nice if they either provided default shortcut keys to do the same thing or provided a bit of enlightenment on working with the tool. I know that for as long as I have been using Capture One, this has been a request from many people even in the webinars they have.

I also know, because I asked during several webinars, after webinar "suggestions" and feature suggestion threads in the support forums, Phase One has no plans to support Pixel Shift. Now, they could surprise me, but it appears that after hundreds of requests and 5 years, they finally moved grid out of "preferences -> crop". There is always hope.
12-07-2019, 01:20 AM   #73
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Having to open the grid tool to change the properties of the grid is having to use the pointing device (mouse, pen, finger) more than I would like.
If you are a MacOS user there's hope since CaptureOne supports AppleScript - Group "Capture One Suite".

Although I'm not familiar with programming AppleScript I looked into the CaptureOne catalog description and found two entries for the grid tool:

class "grid options" and properties "grid settings".

I think it might be possible to write the needed action scripts code and bind them to appropriate keyboard keys. Just an idea. Maybe there's someone who knows someone who could write and propagate such code?!

Regards, acoufap
12-07-2019, 03:51 AM   #74
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
If you are a MacOS user there's hope since CaptureOne supports AppleScript - Group "Capture One Suite".

Although I'm not familiar with programming AppleScript I looked into the CaptureOne catalog description and found two entries for the grid tool:

class "grid options" and properties "grid settings".

I think it might be possible to write the needed action scripts code and bind them to appropriate keyboard keys. Just an idea. Maybe there's someone who knows someone who could write and propagate such code?!

Regards, acoufap
I'd like to add a reference to some Capture One Script examples with shortcut assignment that were developed by emorydunn and published via GitHub.

Have a look at the README.md file of the GitHub section if interested ...

GitHub - emorydunn/CaptureOneScripts: A collection of AppleScripts for use with Capture One

acoufap
12-13-2019, 06:11 AM   #75

I'm working with DXO photolab and very happy with that... Do i test C1 ? Somebody is able to give mater to change ?