Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
10-02-2018, 04:20 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Good SD card

I've been using Sandisk Extreme Pro for a few years. The ones I bought for my K5 and K3 still work fine, but ones I bought more recently have failed. I have a 32g UHS-2 that quit, and a 64g UHS-1 that doesn't work, bought last year.

What have you found that is reliable and quick?

10-02-2018, 04:27 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
I have a 32g UHS-2 that quit, and a 64g UHS-1 that doesn't work, bought last year.
Sandisk cards have lifetime warranties, so why not just get them replaced?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-02-2018, 04:34 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sticking with San-disk. Just bought two 128 Gb micro cards. Hope they hold up.
10-02-2018, 04:37 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I got my K-1 I tried a few different SD cards. I have settled on Transcend 64GB cards. Doesn't say any X speed but instead it says R95-W60 MB/s which I think is more appropriate. I've had mine since May of 2016 and they take a licking and keep on ticking.

My local dealer swears by Delkin SD cards for his Nikons. I may try those the next time I need a couple more cards.

10-02-2018, 05:23 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Been using Lexar Pro 128 GB 633x (SDXC/UHS-1 Class 10) in my K-1 for over a year now and no hicups. I use two (one for DNG and one for JPEG simultaneously) and they have been in and out a number of times without problems. I always read them in the reader built into my laptop and make sure to eject before removing. I think Amazon just had a sale for around $45US on these.
10-02-2018, 06:44 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

I've never had trouble with GENUINE Sandisk cards. However, there are very many dodgy knock-offs around on the internet that are complete crap.
10-02-2018, 06:56 PM   #7

I had one Sandisk card fail with my K-1 about a year ago. First time I have ever had one fail. However, they replaced it quick and easily. It failed within a week, I think. Haven’t had a problem since.

I was told by a dealer once that every Sandisk card gets tested, but not all companies do 100% testing.

10-02-2018, 08:00 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd stick with the Extreme Pro cards. I still have and use the first one I bought, never an issue. But they do have a warranty, maybe send the failed ones in for replacement?

As noted above there have been repeated reports of counterfeit cards on the market. Not saying that is what you had but something to check.

I would also try the manufacturer's format program instead of the operating system. Just might bring those cards back.
10-02-2018, 08:01 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I've never had trouble with GENUINE Sandisk cards. However, there are very many dodgy knock-offs around on the internet that are complete crap.
I got this one at B&H, so I hope it is genuine. I have a few that I use regularly and heavily without issue, which is why I bought these ones. I did an RMA, we shall see.
10-03-2018, 12:32 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I've never had trouble with GENUINE Sandisk cards.
Neither have I. However, once a company gains a sterling reputation and sells well there are bound to be counterfeit goods bearing their name.

Personally I get new cards every two years: the old ones get used for card backup with my self-powered Hyperdrive card backup drive. Redundancy and file management is key.
10-03-2018, 12:48 AM   #11
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Redundancy and file management is key.
+1. Fully support.
10-03-2018, 01:02 AM   #12

Years ago a Transcend card died. Two or three Sandisk cards weren't sufficient heat sealed, so the case opened. I could repair them with a drop of glue.
10-03-2018, 03:20 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sandisk Extreme Pro are best. Best for speed, best for reliability and best for support (they will replace ANY genuine card that has failed, however old)

As a result they are also expensive, and also a prime target for forgers who want to cash in. As long as you buy from a reputable source you will be fine, but beware the surprisingly cheap ones on fleabay etc.
10-03-2018, 05:01 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
I got this one at B&H, so I hope it is genuine. I have a few that I use regularly and heavily without issue, which is why I bought these ones. I did an RMA, we shall see.
I got 2 sandisk extreme pro 64s from B&H last year that failed. Haven't sent them back yet... bit of a hassle... am trying SD formatter to see if that fixes em.

Last edited by photolady95; 10-03-2018 at 06:07 AM.
10-03-2018, 05:42 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
As a result they are also expensive
If you can afford a digital camera and lenses worth several thousand dollars, memory cards (which are comparatively cheap) the very medium upon which the images are stored - should be carefully considered.

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
am trying SD formatter to see if that fixes em.
If there are bad sectors or faulty memory cells there is no format that can possibly rectify the issue. At best the cards memory cells can be tested and defective cells can be mapped out - but there will be a loss of card capacity. As a rule of the thumb: when memory cells start failing, it indicates a high probability that more problems will arise.

This is not one of my own cards but as a cautionary tale:

With a capacity of 8Gb and only a year of use: only 30.6mb of memory cells on this card were viable. The hyperdrive was able to recover 4Gb of images, but the rest were scrambled beyond recovery. This card was an OEM device with a generic store brand, a cheap card. I pulled the card apart, and traced the memory and controller IC chip serial number to a manufacturer which was Hynix, based in South Korea. The quality of soldiering of memory chip and supporting electronics was woeful, and the PCB everything was on was no more than a printed ribbon, less substantial than a piece of paper.

Last edited by Digitalis; 10-03-2018 at 06:09 AM.