Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2018, 03:27 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax K1 or Pentax K1 Mark ii

I currently own a K3 and use the D-FA 24-70 mm lens and the DA 50mm lens. Ready to purchase a full frame very soon.

Trying to decide between the K1 and the K1 mark ii. If you recently upgraded, please share your experience and your thoughts.

Thank you.

10-05-2018, 04:36 PM   #2
Forum Member

I have a K-3 and decided to buy a K-1mk ii a couple of months ago. Reasons: 1) B&H was offering a free grip, 2) ISO enhancements 3) Pixel Shift enhancements and 4) supposed tracking improvement. The cost difference between the 2 were worth the higher price since the grip was not included on the K-1 at the time. I have a large collection of old glass so it was just a matter of time that I would upgrade. Been very satisfied but wish Lightroom or OnOne would fully support Pixel Shift files. Silky Pix is a cumbersome addition to my normal workflow.
Tom

Ps -plus the most important- got permission from the better half to pull the trigger.
10-05-2018, 05:19 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by thix2112 Quote
I have a K-3 and decided to buy a K-1mk ii a couple of months ago. Reasons: 1) B&H was offering a free grip, 2) ISO enhancements 3) Pixel Shift enhancements and 4) supposed tracking improvement. The cost difference between the 2 were worth the higher price since the grip was not included on the K-1 at the time. I have a large collection of old glass so it was just a matter of time that I would upgrade. Been very satisfied but wish Lightroom or OnOne would fully support Pixel Shift files. Silky Pix is a cumbersome addition to my normal workflow.
Tom

Ps -plus the most important- got permission from the better half to pull the trigger.
Did you notice a big difference in image quality between k3 and k1 mark ii?
What other notable differences did you see between your two cameras?
10-05-2018, 05:20 PM - 3 Likes   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by giselag Quote
I currently own a K3 and use the D-FA 24-70 mm lens and the DA 50mm lens. Ready to purchase a full frame very soon.

Trying to decide between the K1 and the K1 mark ii. If you recently upgraded, please share your experience and your thoughts.

Thank you.
Our recent comparative review should help answer your question:

Pentax K-1 Mark II vs K-1 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Personally, I chose not to upgrade as both bodies deliver the same core feature set. If you benefit from any of the K-1 II's additions, though, then I would go for it. The comparison will be more or less moot once new K-1 stock runs out- which has already happened in certain markets.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-05-2018, 05:23 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I'd say if you're on a tightish budget, go for the K-1 from adorama/bhphoto or used from here on the forums market place or keh.com. If you have the cash for the K-1mk2 then get it.
10-05-2018, 05:58 PM   #6
Pentaxian

You know, it sounds like this isn't so much a spec issue but more economical. If I can afford it I would get the latest model. You lose nothing by getting Mark 2 other than a bit of cash. But I take it that if you are asking the money may not be an issue...
10-05-2018, 07:13 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you.
I would examine your shooting style and situations. The K1 is a very capable body with excellent IQ. The K1 Mark II has improvements in specific areas, and if you wouldn't use or need them, then it comes down to price.

Better AF, especially with long lenses. Shorter lenses the differences are there but not as dramatic.

Dynamic pixel shift. I've used this to shoot wildlife in very dark conditions and was amazed with the results.

Better noise handling. This extends the already excellent low light performance.

The biggest difference between the K3 and K1, apart from sensor size, is clean images at higher isos. I am shocked at the shots I get from very bad lighting conditions. In the winter I had a setup where I used a flash for wildlife shots, which worked very well. I haven't used it with the K1, no need. The K3 is quite capable, but with a K1 of either family you won't miss it.
10-05-2018, 10:24 PM   #8
Forum Member

Yes with respect to pixel peeping detail when I run a Pixel Shift image developed with SilkyPix. Also wanted astrotracker ability upgrade from K-3. But havenít been able to use it yet because I need to go to a darker site and summer in Alabama is not the best time for astrophotography. Again, one primary reason for the upgrade was to use my Pentax legacy lenses on a full frame camera.
Tom

Ps -ditto on noise improvement too. Can shoot higher iso with less noise

10-06-2018, 06:21 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you all for the advice I appreciate it very much.
10-06-2018, 09:43 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Well... If you are going to go big you ought to consider the MK. II if your budget allows it. However if you are tight on cash the original K1 is no slouch either. I went MK. II when I bought mine only for the larger ISO range and hand held pixel shift option.
10-06-2018, 09:53 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not at low ISO for stills. I occasionally use my K3 kit and I'm reminded why I was disappointed when I moved to FF - heavier, more expensive lenses, marginal differences at low ISO. I have learnt that the K1 can be pushed harder than the K3, which is helpful at times and it's also a little more flexible. Raise the ISO and the differences become more noticeable. There are many threads on this elsewhere in the forum as I recall ...
10-08-2018, 08:17 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I upgraded from K-3 to K-1 and thereafter MkII. I was impressed by the low light capabilities and dynamic range of the K-1. The higher the ISO, the bigger the difference. The difference between Mk I and Mk II is less profound. The review on the forum is spot-on.
12-31-2018, 11:08 AM   #13

I decided to not buy the Pentax K-1 Mark II because of the Accelerator Unit. I think it is totally wild that Pentax has chosen to go in and modify the RAW files to reduce noise in them. JPEG is a different story, but post-processing of the RAW files should be left to the photographers.

If the next version of K-1 has this feature as well, I will be sad, but then my next camera will be a Sony, a Fuji or a Nikon.
01-01-2019, 03:40 PM - 1 Like   #14

The K1-II didn't add anything I'd use much, so I went with the K1 as it was about £500 cheaper. So far I've very happy with it (upgrading from a K10D).

FF for me was mainly about making some of my old film lenses relevant again though!
01-01-2019, 04:03 PM - 1 Like   #15
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

As you can see here, you can't go wrong with either choice. There are in-depth reviews and forum discussions on the difference between the two cameras, and for the vast majority of photographers it will be too marginal to be worried about. The major gist of the difference in results is the sacrifice of a small amount of fine detail in K-1 II images for an improvement in noise handling at high ISO settings.