Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 36 Likes Search this Thread
10-13-2018, 09:33 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Be aware that on telephoto lenses specifically, even very high quality protection filters have someone's caused large losses of image quality that were hard to pinpoint at first. In these cases removing the filter cleared up the lost quality. This only happened at longer distances and with fine details. It isn't a universal issue, some people seemed to not be able to replicate the problem, but enough reports exist that I would test carefully if using a filter on a long telephoto. (300mm and up).

10-13-2018, 11:19 PM - 1 Like   #17
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
but enough reports exist that I would test carefully if using a filter on a long telephoto. (300mm and up).
I agree with that! A few days ago I tested a cheap (13Euro!) sqare ND filter on the FA*28-70. It was easy to find out with my eyes in the viewfinder that the picture becomes bader when I move/shift the filter in front of the lens.

The problem is, people think a filter on lens is no problem or it is a huge problem. But in real live it is sometimes a problem on some lens in some focus distance and it depends of the light, too. So the answer for me is: I never put any kind of filter in front of my lens when it is possible to do a picture without, but sometimes it is not possible...

Olaf
10-14-2018, 04:04 PM - 3 Likes   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A filter affects the image the sensor picks up, while some effects can be duplicated in PP, I still think a filter in front of the lens can make a positive difference.
I shot these using a Takumar 17mm FE with built in orange and yellow filters. I don't think PP could give the same effect. [IMG][/IMG]
Especially for a shot like this [IMG][/IMG] or this[IMG][/IMG]
10-14-2018, 05:34 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Nice, Rob. Did you stack a yellow and orange shot for that effect?

10-14-2018, 06:18 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
A photographer named PhotoJoseph didma video about this not that long ago:

10-14-2018, 09:10 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by disconnekt Quote

Color Filters for Black & White Photography ? Bringing Back the Old Basics (PLUS: Contest Info) - YouTube

Thanks for posting that video.

10-15-2018, 02:19 AM - 1 Like   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
Nice, Rob. Did you stack a yellow and orange shot for that effect?
Thanks. No, that is pretty much SOOC, shot during the golden hour.

---------- Post added 10-15-18 at 05:21 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by disconnekt Quote

Color Filters for Black & White Photography ? Bringing Back the Old Basics (PLUS: Contest Info) - YouTube
Thanks for the video. I've used colored filters for film, and often do a flitered BW conversion in PP, it really changes the final result.

10-15-2018, 06:19 AM - 1 Like   #23
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wings Quote
That is a great video for this topic and then some.
Glad it was useful! Many around here bash Tony because they don't like his critical views towards Pentax, but I find he's a great teacher and very practical. In fact, his tutorial video on the K-S2 was a reason I became a Pentaxian!

He has great info to share on this YouTube channel. Just don't get too cheesed when he says things like "Pentax is slow at releasing new gear" and "Pentax doesn't have the best AF system" and you'll be fine
10-16-2018, 09:12 AM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Thanks. No, that is pretty much SOOC, shot during the golden hour.

---------- Post added 10-15-18 at 05:21 ----------

Thanks for the video. I've used colored filters for film, and often do a flitered BW conversion in PP, it really changes the final result.
Great photos. I have seen this light scene when hiking early in the am. Nature never stops creating amazing and beautiful scenes.

Okay, I will admit it. Not familiar with SOOC, Subject, ?, ?, Camera?

I would like to propose a challenge.******* I would be interested if you would be willing to take a similar photo or photos with the same filter and without the filter and then see if you or someone could do their best to simulate the effects by the filtered photo in PP and then compare them. You and probably most of the photographers here are much more sophisticated about critiquing photographs than myself, but I believe that this would be useful for this thread and provide a definitive point of discussion.
10-16-2018, 09:14 AM   #25
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wings Quote
Not familiar with SOOC
SOOC = straight out of camera
10-16-2018, 06:44 PM   #26
Pentaxian

A polarizer filter practically lives on my DFA 28-105. I rarely take it off. This is partly possible because I don't own any other lenses with 62mm filter rings. I own quite a few lenses with 58mm filter rings, so I have a polarizer filter that migrates between these lenses. I also have polarizer filters for my limited lenses (49mm), my old legacy primes (52mm), for 67mm (not in use any more), 72mm (not in use any more), and 77mm (rarely used). Also nine or ten stop ND filters for 49mm, 52mm, and 58mm. And 85mm and 100mm ND grad square filters — used rather infrequently.
10-16-2018, 07:24 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
With digital, I usually just have a 10 or 6 stop ND with me.
I will use the black card technique to simulate a GND.

The polarizer filter is seldom used nowadays for me because I usually can adjust the sky in post and more often use UWA that will give uneven skies with the filter.
10-17-2018, 12:11 AM - 2 Likes   #28
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Could not have got these dolphins without a CP-L.

And the pectoral fins of this Humpback Whale would not have been visible.
10-17-2018, 10:00 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
With digital, I usually just have a 10 or 6 stop ND with me.
I will use the black card technique to simulate a GND.

The polarizer filter is seldom used nowadays for me because I usually can adjust the sky in post and more often use UWA that will give uneven skies with the filter.
The black card technique isn't something I'm fully familiar with. I assume you shoot with half the scene masked and then reshoot the opposite way each exposed different and then combine them in post?
10-17-2018, 07:04 PM - 1 Like   #30
Veteran Member

in 19th century photography it was fairly common to use a black card to dodge and burn the image in camera - blocking light from the sky for 2/3rds of the exposure for instance. Bit like using a flashlight to paint in an image at night, but reversed.