Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2018, 04:05 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 11,914
QuoteOriginally posted by Pikselisiirto Quote
I have mixed feelings about this lens. First one had quality control issues with "scratched" inner barrel surface which showed as white dots. Second one is free of those, but it seems it has decentered issue with the left side.
Well, a faulty specimen's not relevant, Pikselisiirto, decentering will affect all kinds of measures when the light doesn't converge at the same point.

You need to immediately send it back and get the great lens you paid for.

11-01-2018, 04:07 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 11,914
QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Yup, and it's my 3rd copy, and it's been serviced twice.
Digitalis loves his Sigma 8-16mm, but it took a 4th copy to be a keeper!

A confirmation that it's the lens and not the scene you're photographing is if you rotate the camera body 90, 180 and 270 degrees and the softer area follows.
11-01-2018, 04:44 PM - 1 Like   #33
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2016
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,122
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Digitalis loves his Sigma 8-16mm, but it took a 4th copy to be a keeper!

A confirmation that it's the lens and not the scene you're photographing is if you rotate the camera body 90, 180 and 270 degrees and the softer area follows.
I tried wing first two copies, I think I tested this one as well in summer with a target I downloaded online. It's kind of hard to tell with such wide lens, I think the target showed decentering. I'll do another series of tests before sending anything, I emailed Precision asking if they can send the K-1 together with the lens if I send it in.

---------- Post added 11-01-18 at 04:45 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Digitalis loves his Sigma 8-16mm, but it took a 4th copy to be a keeper!

A confirmation that it's the lens and not the scene you're photographing is if you rotate the camera body 90, 180 and 270 degrees and the softer area follows.
Also, I'm just ticked off that it's a pro zoom, I was expecting higher QC for a $1400 (at the moment of purchase) lens, it was a major investment for me..
11-01-2018, 05:14 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 11,914
QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Also, I'm just ticked off that it's a pro zoom, I was expecting higher QC for a $1400 (at the moment of purchase) lens, it was a major investment for me..
Sure, but it's sample variation, Timur, they're not picking on you.

All the companies seem to do away with extensive QC at the end let the customer test it!

Roger Cicala showed the bell curve for performance of a particular Canon lens, and it was L Series glass, too.

I reckon Zeiss do it differently in Germany, but they only make cine lenses there (the $5000 kind), AFAIK all those Milvuses et al are outsourced to Cosina in Japan, it's all about the cost savings.

11-01-2018, 05:16 PM - 1 Like   #35
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2016
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,122
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Sure, but it's sample variation, Timur, they're not picking on you.

All the companies seem to do away with extensive QC at the end let the customer test it!

Roger Cicala showed the bell curve for performance of a particular Canon lens, and it was L Series glass, too.

I reckon Zeiss do it differently in Germany, but they only make cine lenses there (the $5000 kind), AFAIK all those Milvuses et al are outsourced to Cosina in Japan, it's all about the cost savings.
Yup, I'm just a super unlucky tester
11-02-2018, 12:54 AM - 1 Like   #36
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 11,212
QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
1. Comparing Pentax with Zeiss - Pentax has fewer chromatic aberrations (Hello Photozone, or what was that widely-discussed test that showed green fence as presence of chromatic aberrations?)
DPReview.
Photozone/Optical Limits didn't test it, and they don't even have a K-1 for that.

---------- Post added 02-11-18 at 09:55 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
This just isn't helping the LBA.
It doesn't make me want to buy it. At all. Not even a passing thought.
Because I already have mine
11-02-2018, 01:09 AM   #37
Veteran Member
Medex's Avatar

Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 333
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
DPReview.
Photozone/Optical Limits didn't test it, and they don't even have a K-1 for that.[COLOR="Silver"]
I think, IgorZ meant ePHOTOzine.com test
11-02-2018, 01:13 AM   #38
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 11,212
No, it was DPReview with the green fence. And with the "OMG it's heavy". And with the "OMG it's more expensive than the Sigma".
Hands-on with the Pentax HD FA* 50mm F1.4 (for real this time): Digital Photography Review

11-02-2018, 03:13 AM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IgorZ's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,525
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
DPReview.
Photozone/Optical Limits didn't test it, and they don't even have a K-1 for that.

---------- Post added 02-11-18 at 09:55 AM ----------


It doesn't make me want to buy it. At all. Not even a passing thought.
Because I already have mine
Yes, that's the one, thank you.
11-02-2018, 03:20 AM - 2 Likes   #40
Pentaxian
Digitalis's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Adelaide.
Posts: 9,477
Needless to say the Pentax D-FA 50mm f/1.4 will soon be added to my collection...I'm up to 193 50mm lenses in my collection now...I wonder if I'll ever make it to 200?


QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Digitalis loves his Sigma 8-16mm, but it took a 4th copy to be a keeper!
and after much discussion with Sigma Japan, they directly sent me a hand written letter along with the 4th copy of the lens, along with charts certifying its performance*.

I'm impressed with Sigma Japan, they were the quintessential professional in their conduct: they earnestly wanted to rectify the problem with their product**. It's the distributor here in Australia that I'm not exactly thrilled about.


* Which I'll admit to testing the lens on my own bench, and their test results were accurate.

**as opposed to using customers as their private crash-test dummies.

Last edited by Digitalis; 11-02-2018 at 03:27 AM.
11-02-2018, 05:01 AM   #41
Veteran Member
Medex's Avatar

Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 333
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
No, it was DPReview with the green fence. And with the "OMG it's heavy". And with the "OMG it's more expensive than the Sigma".
Hands-on with the Pentax HD FA* 50mm F1.4 (for real this time): Digital Photography Review
Ah, yeah, I know thar review.
11-02-2018, 06:34 AM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2016
Location: East Coast
Posts: 1,603
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
It doesn't make me want to buy it. At all. Not even a passing thought.Because I already have mine
Spoken like a true addict!!!

11-02-2018, 06:57 AM   #43
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2016
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,122
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Needless to say the Pentax D-FA 50mm f/1.4 will soon be added to my collection...I'm up to 193 50mm lenses in my collection now...I wonder if I'll ever make it to 200?




and after much discussion with Sigma Japan, they directly sent me a hand written letter along with the 4th copy of the lens, along with charts certifying its performance*.

I'm impressed with Sigma Japan, they were the quintessential professional in their conduct: they earnestly wanted to rectify the problem with their product**. It's the distributor here in Australia that I'm not exactly thrilled about.


* Which I'll admit to testing the lens on my own bench, and their test results were accurate.

**as opposed to using customers as their private crash-test dummies.
Wow. I'm having tough time just getting replies from Pentax. Two separate guys said "they take my case very seriously, and will contact me at a later date with a solution". That was like 2 months ago, not a peep. Precision's manager that was keeping me updated on my case before doesn't reply either.
11-02-2018, 07:06 AM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 14,522
QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Wow. I'm having tough time just getting replies from Pentax. Two separate guys said "they take my case very seriously, and will contact me at a later date with a solution". That was like 2 months ago, not a peep. Precision's manager that was keeping me updated on my case before doesn't reply either.
Precision has a history of communications issues. Their work is typically better than their talking. Sigh. I wish they understood how it negatively affect customer satisfaction.
11-02-2018, 07:07 AM   #45
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 11,212
QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Spoken like a true addict!!!

Ha ha, I just couldn't stay away from the first truly high-end Pentax lens in a long while.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
body, camera, da*, details, drive, dslr, f1.4, fa, full frame, full-frame, hd, k-1, k1, lens, mpx, nc, pentax k-1, resolution, rochester, sdm, sigma, test, yellowstone, zeiss
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Aperture control with Leica R and Zeiss Milvus, Otus on Pentax tduell Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 2 12-01-2017 02:48 PM
Nature Red Kite (Milvus Milvus) Over and Over Again ... Ian.morgan Post Your Photos! 8 11-19-2017 04:29 PM
Lightroom profile for Zeiss Milvus 18mm f2.8 peterh337 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 4 11-17-2017 09:39 AM
New Zeiss Milvus 50mm f/1.4 lens on my Pentax K1 Fenwoodian Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 36 07-10-2017 09:03 PM
Zeiss anounces Milvus 35mm 1.4 for canon and Nikon D1N0 Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 7 06-21-2017 05:19 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:22 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top