Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
11-01-2018, 04:05 PM   #31
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pikselisiirto Quote
I have mixed feelings about this lens. First one had quality control issues with "scratched" inner barrel surface which showed as white dots. Second one is free of those, but it seems it has decentered issue with the left side.
Well, a faulty specimen's not relevant, Pikselisiirto, decentering will affect all kinds of measures when the light doesn't converge at the same point.

You need to immediately send it back and get the great lens you paid for.

11-01-2018, 04:07 PM   #32
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Yup, and it's my 3rd copy, and it's been serviced twice.
Digitalis loves his Sigma 8-16mm, but it took a 4th copy to be a keeper!

A confirmation that it's the lens and not the scene you're photographing is if you rotate the camera body 90, 180 and 270 degrees and the softer area follows.
11-01-2018, 04:44 PM - 1 Like   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote

A confirmation that it's the lens and not the scene you're photographing is if you rotate the camera body 90, 180 and 270 degrees and the softer area follows.
I tried wing first two copies, I think I tested this one as well in summer with a target I downloaded online. It's kind of hard to tell with such wide lens, I think the target showed decentering. I'll do another series of tests before sending anything, I emailed Precision asking if they can send the K-1 together with the lens if I send it in.

---------- Post added 11-01-18 at 04:45 PM ----------

Also, I'm just ticked off that it's a pro zoom, I was expecting higher QC for a $1400 (at the moment of purchase) lens, it was a major investment for me..
11-01-2018, 05:14 PM   #34
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Also, I'm just ticked off that it's a pro zoom, I was expecting higher QC for a $1400 (at the moment of purchase) lens, it was a major investment for me..
Sure, but it's sample variation, Timur, they're not picking on you.

All the companies seem to do away with extensive QC at the end … let the customer test it!

Roger Cicala showed the bell curve for performance of a particular Canon lens, and it was L Series glass, too.

I reckon Zeiss do it differently in Germany, but they only make cine lenses there (the $5000 kind), AFAIK all those Milvuses et al are outsourced to Cosina in Japan, it's all about the cost savings.

11-01-2018, 05:16 PM - 1 Like   #35
Veteran Member

Sure, but it's sample variation, Timur, they're not picking on you.

All the companies seem to do away with extensive QC at the end … let the customer test it!

Roger Cicala showed the bell curve for performance of a particular Canon lens, and it was L Series glass, too.

I reckon Zeiss do it differently in Germany, but they only make cine lenses there (the $5000 kind), AFAIK all those Milvuses et al are outsourced to Cosina in Japan, it's all about the cost savings.
Yup, I'm just a super unlucky tester
11-02-2018, 12:54 AM - 1 Like   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
1. Comparing Pentax with Zeiss - Pentax has fewer chromatic aberrations (Hello Photozone, or what was that widely-discussed test that showed green fence as presence of chromatic aberrations?)
DPReview.
Photozone/Optical Limits didn't test it, and they don't even have a K-1 for that.

---------- Post added 02-11-18 at 09:55 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
This just isn't helping the LBA.
It doesn't make me want to buy it. At all. Not even a passing thought.
Because I already have mine
11-02-2018, 01:09 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
DPReview.
Photozone/Optical Limits didn't test it, and they don't even have a K-1 for that.[COLOR="Silver"]
I think, IgorZ meant ePHOTOzine.com test

11-02-2018, 01:13 AM   #38
Pentaxian

No, it was DPReview with the green fence. And with the "OMG it's heavy". And with the "OMG it's more expensive than the Sigma".
Hands-on with the Pentax HD FA* 50mm F1.4 (for real this time): Digital Photography Review
11-02-2018, 03:13 AM   #39
Veteran Member

DPReview.
Photozone/Optical Limits didn't test it, and they don't even have a K-1 for that.

---------- Post added 02-11-18 at 09:55 AM ----------

It doesn't make me want to buy it. At all. Not even a passing thought.
Because I already have mine
Yes, that's the one, thank you.
11-02-2018, 03:20 AM - 2 Likes   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Needless to say the Pentax D-FA 50mm f/1.4 will soon be added to my collection...I'm up to 193 50mm lenses in my collection now...I wonder if I'll ever make it to 200?

and after much discussion with Sigma Japan, they directly sent me a hand written letter along with the 4th copy of the lens, along with charts certifying its performance*.

I'm impressed with Sigma Japan, they were the quintessential professional in their conduct: they earnestly wanted to rectify the problem with their product**. It's the distributor here in Australia that I'm not exactly thrilled about.

* Which I'll admit to testing the lens on my own bench, and their test results were accurate.

**as opposed to using customers as their private crash-test dummies.

Last edited by Digitalis; 11-02-2018 at 03:27 AM.
11-02-2018, 05:01 AM   #41
Pentaxian

Original Poster
No, it was DPReview with the green fence. And with the "OMG it's heavy". And with the "OMG it's more expensive than the Sigma".
Hands-on with the Pentax HD FA* 50mm F1.4 (for real this time): Digital Photography Review
Ah, yeah, I know thar review.
11-02-2018, 06:34 AM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It doesn't make me want to buy it. At all. Not even a passing thought.Because I already have mine
Spoken like a true addict!!!

11-02-2018, 06:57 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Needless to say the Pentax D-FA 50mm f/1.4 will soon be added to my collection...I'm up to 193 50mm lenses in my collection now...I wonder if I'll ever make it to 200?

and after much discussion with Sigma Japan, they directly sent me a hand written letter along with the 4th copy of the lens, along with charts certifying its performance*.

I'm impressed with Sigma Japan, they were the quintessential professional in their conduct: they earnestly wanted to rectify the problem with their product**. It's the distributor here in Australia that I'm not exactly thrilled about.

* Which I'll admit to testing the lens on my own bench, and their test results were accurate.

**as opposed to using customers as their private crash-test dummies.
Wow. I'm having tough time just getting replies from Pentax. Two separate guys said "they take my case very seriously, and will contact me at a later date with a solution". That was like 2 months ago, not a peep. Precision's manager that was keeping me updated on my case before doesn't reply either.
11-02-2018, 07:06 AM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow. I'm having tough time just getting replies from Pentax. Two separate guys said "they take my case very seriously, and will contact me at a later date with a solution". That was like 2 months ago, not a peep. Precision's manager that was keeping me updated on my case before doesn't reply either.
Precision has a history of communications issues. Their work is typically better than their talking. Sigh. I wish they understood how it negatively affect customer satisfaction.
11-02-2018, 07:07 AM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Spoken like a true addict!!!

Ha ha, I just couldn't stay away from the first truly high-end Pentax lens in a long while.