Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2018, 06:40 AM - 7 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

HD Pentax-D FA* 50/1.4 comparison with Zeiss Milvus 50/1.4 and Sigma 50/1.4 Art

Here is interesting comparison test of HD Pentax-D FA* 50/1.4 and Zeiss Milvus 50/1.4 and Sigma 50/1.4 Art. More about first two lenses.

????? ? ???? ????????? HD PENTAX-D FA ? 50mm F1.4 SDM AW | ???? ??????? ?????????

The test is written in russian, but can be esasily translated to english using Google translator. There are Imatest graphics of resolution as well as ISO 12233 test chart pictures.
Main notes from the author of the test:
1. The resolution of the optics (Pentax 50) exceeds the resolution of the sensor. Considering that we see the moire effect in the test chart pictures on the diaphragm 1.4, we can conclude that the lens is excellent and a higher resolution camera would not hurt it in order to realize the full potential.
2. Imatest: If the results of the ZEISS Milvus were impressive (50.1 lp/mm), then the HD PENTAX-D FA ★ 50mm F1.4 SDM AW they are generally stunning today (2018). The maximum result on the open aperture is 69.4 lp / mm!
3. Imatest CA's: The ZEISS Milvus 50 / 1.4 lens has very good blue and green channels, but in red we see a sharp drop in resolution, these are the redest “smeared” CAs, which are visible to the naked eye.
In HD PENTAX-D FA ★ 50mm F1.4 SDM AW, we see very decent red and blue channels and a very “vigorous” green channel, which has a characteristic “hump” at the top and bottom.
4. The field resolution tests showed us that the results of both lenses are visually not very different. For some moments, a very experienced eye can see that the resolution of ZEISS Milvus is slightly higher (lens tested on 50 Mpix Canon 5DSr). Tests in the studio give more accurate and controlled results. Here, visually, we were able to confirm a slight superiority in resolution with ZEISS Milvus. And an additional mathematical analysis showed that HD PENTAX-D FA ★ 50mm F1.4 SDM AW on a camera with a higher resolution could even surpass the ZEISS Milvus, 36 megapixels limit it.
5. Of the entire set of 50 mm lenses, the most similar is SIGMA DG 50MM F1.4 HSM ART. It is also a very good autofocus lens, but its optical quality is concentrated in the center of the frame and suffers at the edges, the HD PENTAX-D FA ★ 50mm F1.4 SDM AW turns out to be better at the edges.

10-31-2018, 07:41 AM - 1 Like   #2

The DFA 50mm is the only Pentax lens I have that when I look through photos I've taken (mainly portraits) I'm amazed by the sharpness when I zoom into pixel peeper territory.
Eyelashes, shadows of eyelashes, eyes, reflections in pupils – it's all sharp.
I do also get the impression that it's a better lens than the K1 is a camera... I'd be excited to use this on a camera with blindlingly (or reasonably) fast autofocus and a 50mp sensor.
If Pentax can produce more DFA primes like then I'd say they're going to be attractive to more professional users.
10-31-2018, 07:58 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Not really clear why Zeiss has a higher resolution (point 4) when Pentax has higher resolution under point 2... Planning to read the review, but one thing you should know about this photographer is that if I were to characterize him in any way, is that he is a Zeiss fan. Nothing wrong with that, maybe just makes his conclusion all the more impressive.
10-31-2018, 08:41 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
Not really clear why Zeiss has a higher resolution (point 4) when Pentax has higher resolution under point 2... Planning to read the review, but one thing you should know about this photographer is that if I were to characterize him in any way, is that he is a Zeiss fan. Nothing wrong with that, maybe just makes his conclusion all the more impressive.
Maybe this conclusion about higher Zeiss resolution comes out from the fact, that author used 50 Mpix camera for comparison with 36 Mpix Pentax K-1. In these conditions Zeiss resolves 50 Mpix sensor, but 36 Mpix sensor of Pentax K-1 is limiting the resolution. The best way to compare lenses would by Zeiss Milvus 50/1,4 versus Tokina Opera 50/1,4 on the same sensor.

10-31-2018, 09:57 AM   #5
Veteran Member

by the way, he also reviews K1 II: ????? ? ???? «??????????» ????????????? ?????????? PENTAX K-1 mark II | ???? ??????? ?????????
10-31-2018, 10:22 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

So one of the points is that the lens outresolves the sensor even at wide open aperture? Amazing.
10-31-2018, 10:33 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Veteran Member

For those who are interested to look at the photos, Pentax is always on the right in the field shots. It is on the left in the studio shots. You can move the slider, so it's kind of neat. Some things he says:
1. Comparing Pentax with Zeiss - Pentax has fewer chromatic aberrations (Hello Photozone, or what was that widely-discussed test that showed green fence as presence of chromatic aberrations?)
2. Based on the field test he concludes that there is no significant difference in resolution between Pentax and Zeiss. To me though it looks like Pentax is both sharper and has better contrast...
3. Based on studio shots, he concludes that Zeiss resolution is "just under" 80 lp/mm, Pentax between 56 and 80, saying that his target does not allow for a more precise estimate
4. DFA outresolves the sensor.
5. Imatest allows one to evaluate the resolution of the lens if it exceeds resolution of the sensor
6. "If Zeiss resolution is impressive (50 lp/mm), that of Pentax (69.4 lp/mm) is truly incredible for today's technology!" - by the way, that's my translation, could be different from Google's
7. As Medex said, he concludes that in field tests resolution looks about the same, although "an experienced photographer" may notice that Zeiss has slightly higher resolution. Studio tests support that conclusion, but additional mathematical analysis suggests that Pentax could exceed Zeiss if it was used with a sensor with higher resolution.
8. of all tested lenses the closest competitor is Sigma art, but it is soft at the edges. Pentax performs better at the edges.
9. At the end of this discussion he talks about Star tracer... He must really like that function (he does say that only Pentax has it and if you were to use a different camera you'd have to use a wide angle lens and a high ISO).

10-31-2018, 10:39 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
9. At the end of this discussion he talks about Star tracer... He must really like that function (he does say that only Pentax has it and if you were to use a different camera you'd have to use a wide angle lens and a high ISO).
Any good tracking mount will work also.
10-31-2018, 11:56 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This just isn't helping the LBA.
10-31-2018, 02:00 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Medex Quote
Maybe this conclusion about higher Zeiss resolution comes out from the fact, that author used 50 Mpix camera for comparison with 36 Mpix Pentax K-1. In these conditions Zeiss resolves 50 Mpix sensor, but 36 Mpix sensor of Pentax K-1 is limiting the resolution. The best way to compare lenses would by Zeiss Milvus 50/1,4 versus Tokina Opera 50/1,4 on the same sensor.
Did he try the DA* 50 with pixel shift? That would have delivered an effectively higher resolution sensor.
10-31-2018, 02:34 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Did he try the DA* 50 with pixel shift? That would have delivered an effectively higher resolution sensor.
The author did not try PSR images.
10-31-2018, 02:52 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
To be clear - Pentax Pixel Shift produces a still 36mp file but one with higher color accuracy - right? Olympus creates a super high res file and still uses standard color interpolation. At least that what I understand.
10-31-2018, 03:12 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

I think if I'll read it I'll run to the store and get one, and then will be kicked out of my own home due to spending too much on my photo gear and not on my beloved wife
10-31-2018, 03:50 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Unfortunately, the camera used and the picture taken always affect these results, that's why you use an optical testing bench and get MTF values.

The Pentax is clearly the better lens if the Ricoh data is to be believed (for my link, it's only the manufacturer's claim, not anyone's real measurement).

Zeiss Milvus 50mm f/1.4 Lens MTF Average

HD PENTAX-D FA? 50mmF1.4 SDM AW / Telephoto Lenses / K-mount Lenses / Lenses / Products | RICOH IMAGING

The MTF10 result is often regarded as a proxy for 'contrast' and the MTF30 for 'microcontrast'. Not my definitions, just existing usage by techheads.
10-31-2018, 05:29 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
This just isn't helping the LBA.
Best $1.200 I’ve chosen to spend on gear* in years. Who needs NAV in the dash anyways when you have Maps on your phone?

* instead of spending it on something else.

.: