Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
11-12-2018, 08:28 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Electronic Shutter Exceptions (Bug?)

For the K-1 (and possibly KP), what are all the scenarios where Electronic Shutter (ES) is not usable/selectable. Sometimes I see it greyed out when I use the Info shortcut to toggle on/off, and I cannot for the life of me figure out why sometimes it's saying it's not up for being toggled on.

I know some scenarios with the K-1, such as Shooting Mode must be Single, however with the KP you can actually have High Continuous to work (it's one of the cool things about the KP's ES, it's also a lot more silent.

I think I have found a bug for example on the K-1;
  • Av Mode
  • Shooting Mode Single
  • AF.S
  • Pressing INFO and having the 'ES' shortcut ready, it's not selectable
  • However, navigating to Menu 2, LV Electronic Shutter, I can turn it on :S

I have uncovered some of that confusion. It seems the 'INFO' tab will allow ES to turn ON when actually in LV mode. If in OVF mode, pressing INFO, the ES is not selectable. You can stay in OVF mode and toggle on ES from the Menu 2 and be back in OVF, then when you toggle to LV mode it will be ready and waiting.
It's a bit odd that the INFO shortcut ES is not working exactly like the Menu. I think this is what has thrown me off a couple of times.

Cheers,

Bruce

11-12-2018, 10:01 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Same on my K1. Need to be in LV mode to select the ES on/off from the INFO menu.

I have set mine up so that ES is always enabled in LV, so no need to switch it on separately.
11-13-2018, 12:30 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On the K-1, ES is only selectable in LV mode by design.
11-13-2018, 01:30 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The instructions that came with the 1.3 firmware update that enabled ES in LV, details the two methods of turning it on. For the INFO screen method it specifically states you need to be in LV mode first, so I don't think it can be called a bug.

11-13-2018, 11:08 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Specifically turning on the electronic shutter while in the OVF mode doesn't make too much sense since using it in that mode would be a wasted effort since the mirror has to flip up and return for a shot. That pretty much nulifies any vibration or noise advantage the ES has. This might explain the rationale for not giving shortcut access to it in the OVF mode.

As has been said, it can be turned on with a menu option and left that way, but be forewarned that image artifacts can result with moving subject matter. It is best used on static shots such as landscapes and the like.

This pretty much relegates EF use to mirror lock-up (live-view) use where it can be selected or deselected via the INFO shortcut.
11-13-2018, 12:35 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Same on my K1. Need to be in LV mode to select the ES on/off from the INFO menu.

I have set mine up so that ES is always enabled in LV, so no need to switch it on separately.
Cool. I'm wondering if I too should have all my LV work with ES, perhaps save my poor shutter?!

The instructions that came with the 1.3 firmware update that enabled ES in LV, details the two methods of turning it on. For the INFO screen method it specifically states you need to be in LV mode first, so I don't think it can be called a bug.
Ah ok, yes agreed then. Just a bit odd then that the menu still allows for it to be turned on when in OVF mode. I guess Menu doesn't really 'see' which mode you're in whereas the INFO shortcut kinda still does.

So... apart from K-1 Shooting Modes (must be in Single), what are the other settings that conflict with ES being on? (looking for reference list hehe).
11-13-2018, 12:50 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
So... apart from K-1 Shooting Modes (must be in Single), what are the other settings that conflict with ES being on? (looking for reference list hehe
Shake reduction

---------- Post added 11-13-18 at 07:53 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
Specifically turning on the electronic shutter while in the OVF mode doesn't make too much sense since using it in that mode would be a wasted effort since the mirror has to flip up and return for a shot. That pretty much nulifies any vibration or noise advantage the ES has. This might explain the rationale for not giving shortcut access to it in the OVF mode.

As has been said, it can be turned on with a menu option and left that way, but be forewarned that image artifacts can result with moving subject matter. It is best used on static shots such as landscapes and the like.

This pretty much relegates EF use to mirror lock-up (live-view) use where it can be selected or deselected via the INFO shortcut.
ES is a LV mode only, you cannot use it with OVF.

11-13-2018, 06:00 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Shake reduction

---------- Post added 11-13-18 at 07:53 PM ----------

ES is a LV mode only, you cannot use it with OVF.
That too. Guess that's what I was alluding to but didn't directly say it in those terms.
11-14-2018, 01:34 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Cool. I'm wondering if I too should have all my LV work with ES, perhaps save my poor shutter?!
Except that the shutter seems to be cycled after every normal ES shot anyway.

For unknown reasons.
11-14-2018, 02:31 AM   #10
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
Except that the shutter seems to be cycled after every normal ES shot anyway.

For unknown reasons.
Isn't the ES "leading curtain" only? The trailing curtain can't induce much shutter shake, I'd think, and might still reduce the possible negative effects of ES.
11-14-2018, 04:24 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you pixel shift, you get four shots in a row with ES enabled. But I wouldn't think having the shutter click after the shot would be a big deal either way. I imagine that the K-1 sequel will have a true silent mode where the shutter doesn't operate at all, but this was Pentax's early foray into the realm of electronic shutters.
11-14-2018, 04:43 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
If you pixel shift, you get four shots in a row with ES enabled.
Exactly, so it’s not necessary to cycle the shutter. The only reason I can think of is creating the shutter sound to indicate that the picture is taken, much like a mobile phone playing a shutter sound through the speaker.

Now I don’t want to “waste” shutter cycles on time lapses, but if could turn that extra cycle off..
11-14-2018, 05:18 AM   #13
Forum Member

OVF is so much nicer for composition in most cases, so I just try to hold the camera still while looking, press LV and then shutter button. Pentax could automate this process, but they don't. Also full electronic shutter from the OVF is possible. Just shoot pixel shift and ditch 3 other frames. Pentax could automate this process, but they don't. Bracketing is slower with electronic shutter, but pixel shift is fast. There is probably differences between pixel shift ES and normal ES, but Pentax could give us a choice, but they don't.

I noticed that K-1 card writer slots are not fast and the speed is shared. This will increase capture delay with timelapses with full quality and even more, if using two cards. Pentax could offer ES option for timelapse to maintain shutter durability, but they don't. Only possible option right now is to write a mobile app with Pentax SDK and make a script, but I haven't seen any. There also should be option to turn of the screen in LV because it is draining battery quite fast.

K-1 could do more, but firmware has limitations. SDK release might indicate that they won't add more features through the firmware.
11-14-2018, 05:18 AM   #14
Forum Member

OVF is so much nicer for composition in most cases, so I just try to hold the camera still while looking, press LV and then shutter button. Pentax could automate this process, but they don't. Also full electronic shutter from the OVF is possible. Just shoot pixel shift and ditch 3 other frames. Pentax could automate this process, but they don't. Bracketing is slower with electronic shutter, but pixel shift is fast. There is probably differences between pixel shift ES and normal ES, but Pentax could give us a choice, but they don't.

I noticed that K-1 card writer slots are not fast and the speed is shared. This will increase capture delay with timelapses with full quality and even more, if using two cards. Pentax could offer ES option for timelapse to maintain shutter durability, but they don't. Only possible option right now is to write a mobile app with Pentax SDK and make a script, but I haven't seen any. There also should be option to turn of the screen in LV because it is draining battery quite fast.

K-1 could do more, but firmware has limitations. SDK release might indicate that they won't add more features through the firmware.
11-14-2018, 05:24 AM   #15
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
Exactly, so it’s not necessary to cycle the shutter.
If it had been a fully electronic shutter it wouldn't. But as far as I can see that's not how it is implemented with any "serious" camera. Only the "opening" of the shutter is electronic, while the closing is mechanical. (At least for normal shooting; it might be different for PS.)

Read more at Electronic Front-Curtain Shutter Explained - Photography Life

Edit: Nikon D850 has an option for a fully electronic shutter. As the first comment to the above article mentions, having an electronic front-curtain is basically a "reset" of the sensor. Having a fully electronic shutter is more complicated and comes with its own drawbacks.

Last edited by savoche; 11-14-2018 at 05:33 AM.