Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2018, 07:20 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Famous Internet Reviewer Has Good Things To Say About Pentax K-1II

Lloyd Chambers finally is getting around to reviewing the K-1II and the Pentax HD FA 50mm f/1.4 SDM AW.

His initial impressions are all good. Check them out here.

11-26-2018, 08:00 PM   #2
tax

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Lloyd Chambers finally is getting around to reviewing the K-1II and the Pentax HD FA 50mm f/1.4 SDM AW.

His initial impressions are all good. Check them out here.
This guy is not a professional photographer. He is one of those Internet buffoons who are blogging and reviewing all kinds of stuff from toilet bowls to drones, just to gain some cheap popularity and sell stuff. This "review" is garbage in - garbage out.

Last edited by MarkJerling; 11-26-2018 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Mild profanity removed.
11-26-2018, 09:14 PM - 5 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
"Now if only it were 45 megapixels and mirrorless."

- enough said.
11-26-2018, 11:27 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

"Now if only it were 45 megapixels and mirrorless."

As if 45mp is significantly much more noticable than 36mp lol

11-27-2018, 02:27 AM - 6 Likes   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Always nice to see positive reviews of Pentax equipment, Dave. Whatever individual opinions people may have of that reviewer, Pentax can use all the support it gets

Last edited by BigMackCam; 11-27-2018 at 06:53 AM.
11-27-2018, 10:24 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Well, Chambers has superb material available behind the paywall. Such attention to detail is not found elsewhere on the web. Making Sharp Images -package should be essential material for anyone who just got their first camera setup. And particularly those who are messing around without a tripod and have hi-res digital camera.

BTW, I will be comparing Huawei P20 Pro to K-1 II soon, prepare for unexpected outcome. Long exposure tripod cellphone stuff included with polarizer and ND-filters.
11-28-2018, 03:27 AM - 2 Likes   #7

His reviews are almost always unbiased and very thorough.

Following up on his first K-1 II post, he goes on to say that in the right circumstances Pixel Shift is almost a match for the Hasselblad H6D-100C !

"I rate the megapixels equivalent from the 36-megapixel sensor in the Pentax K-1 Mark II in pixel shift mode at an absolute minimum of 50 megapixels, and as high as 90 megapixels when the total quality sum is considered."

diglloyd diglloyd.com Blog: 2018 month 11

11-28-2018, 04:20 AM - 1 Like   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

He puts a lot more effort into his blogging than most. And so he should, he charges.

11-28-2018, 04:50 AM - 4 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

He says good things about the K-1ii and the DFA50/1.4. I don’t understand the negativity, just because he implies he’d like it more if the K-1 was mirrorless: it’s an opinion, and I don’t read it as a criticism. Note that he says in his latest blog that Sony’s version of PS is rubbish, and the Pentax one is superb, too.
11-28-2018, 05:19 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
He says good things about the K-1ii and the DFA50/1.4. I don’t understand the negativity, just because he implies he’d like it more if the K-1 was mirrorless: it’s an opinion, and I don’t read it as a criticism. Note that he says in his latest blog that Sony’s version of PS is rubbish, and the Pentax one is superb, too.
I've owned 4 copies of the Pentax K-1 camera. I have shot tens of thousands of photos with them. Not one single K-1 photo was made using the K-1's optical viewfinder. Rather all of my photos are composed and focused using the LCD screen on the back of the K-1 with a Zacuto viewfinder. So for me too, I would greatly prefer a "mirrorless" Pentax K-1 because I've never used the mirror and I would appreciate the smaller size and lighter weight. Because I want a mirrorless K-1 does not take anything away from the K-1 or the many things I like about it. I guess that some around here just don't care for reviews that are not 100% over-the-top positive.

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 11-28-2018 at 05:39 PM.
11-28-2018, 05:39 PM - 3 Likes   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tax Quote
This guy is not a professional photographer. He is one of those Internet buffoons who are blogging and reviewing all kinds of stuff from toilet bowls to drones, just to gain some cheap popularity and sell stuff. This "review" is garbage in - garbage out.
I know Lloyd Chambers. I've had personal dealings with him for about 10 years and have found him to be truthful, honest, and exceptionally intelligent. He is one of the few Internet photography reviewers with an advanced technical degree from one of the best universities in the USA. Also, he has extensive experience with the best/most-expensive full frame and medium format camera systems. Knowing a bit about Lloyd, I'd say his credentials hold up well against most of the other Internet reviewers out there; and certainly to most of the posters on this forum.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 11-28-2018 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Keeping it friendly
11-30-2018, 12:55 AM - 1 Like   #12

Mirrorless and 45MP, its all subjective. As a portraitphotographer the optical viewfinder gives me the immediacy I have not found in any mirrorless (Sony A7III, Fujis etc.). I would rather have glass between me and the Person than a screen. And the smoothness in texture does not come from nothing. The 36mp sensor is super mature. Raw files are flexible for any lighting situation. Also the K1-II has a very robust color reproduction in the higher ISO range.

And yes, wishfull thinking is allowed. And yes photography will allways be a compromise.
12-02-2018, 04:09 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Parenthetically, I am kinda surprised Nikon would do IBIS and not pixel shift. So I agree with him on that. Doing as well as a D850 is good news even if one doesn't like his site much (I've never been behind the paywall, so can't say).
12-02-2018, 09:22 PM   #14
tax

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
I know Lloyd Chambers. I've had personal dealings with him for about 10 years and have found him to be truthful, honest, and exceptionally intelligent. He is one of the few Internet photography reviewers with an advanced technical degree from one of the best universities in the USA. Also, he has extensive experience with the best/most-expensive full frame and medium format camera systems. Knowing a bit about Lloyd, I'd say his credentials hold up well against most of the other Internet reviewers out there; and certainly to most of the posters on this forum.
What does his truthfulness, honesty and "advanced technical degree" have to do with the fact that this guy is not making his living by taking professional pictures, publishing or selling them? Why don't we rely on the opinions of real professional photographers, but some random Internet reviewers?
12-03-2018, 03:24 AM - 3 Likes   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tax Quote
What does his truthfulness, honesty and "advanced technical degree" have to do with the fact that this guy is not making his living by taking professional pictures, publishing or selling them? Why don't we rely on the opinions of real professional photographers, but some random Internet reviewers?
This seems to be saying that only a professional photographer is qualified to review and render opinions on photography equipment. I disagree and think there are certainly photographers who don't make their living taking photographs who are qualified and have the ability to do quality reviews.